#17 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

How about doing something worthwhile? Why not station our military to help fight poachers in Africa? That's worth fighting for not interfering in a civil war.

We do have bases in Africa and we do have troops stationed there to help fight poaching.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#18 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Anybody advocating going back into the middle east needs to be checked into an asylum. There hasn't been peace in over a thousand years over there and dropping snickers and American flags will never solve the problems. We shouldn't even be having a conservation about this.

#19 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

On Face the Nation this morning Rubio claims ISIS is an immediate and significant threat to US national security

How?

Those dumbasses bullying their way into Iraqs stronghold will eventually run out of men and bullets.

I say flea and let them take over. Let them starve and wipe them out relatively easy.

#20 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

We do have bases in Africa and we do have troops stationed there to help fight poaching.

Show your work.

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#21 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Ever notice the people who are for sending in troops are rarely those that have actually seen front line fighting?

Edited by PandaPancake, 22 June 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#22 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

Show your work.

http://www.voanews.c...229/159563.html

#23 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

Great. I can't wait to be recalled to die in a place that most Americans don't care about.

Shouldn't have enlisted in the first place, hth.

#24 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

Hmm

Edited by PandaPancake, 22 June 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#25 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,570 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

We need to get the hell out of there.

We have plenty of oil here. While I feel bad for the women and the victims of their insane religious beliefs, it ain't our fight.

Its not about "the fight" or Oil... It as moved well beyond this.

Still it is about resources.

http://www.globalres...tural-gas/19769

“The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said.

While it could take many years to develop a mining industry, the potential is so great that officials and executives in the industry believe it could attract heavy investment even before mines are profitable, providing the possibility of jobs that could distract from generations of war.

“There is stunning potential here,” Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the United States Central Command, said… “There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant.”

The value of the newly discovered mineral deposits dwarfs the size of Afghanistan’s existing war-bedraggled economy, which is based largely on opium production and narcotics trafficking as well as aid from the United States and other industrialized countries. Afghanistan’s gross domestic product is only about $12 billion.

“This will become the backbone of the Afghan economy,” said Jalil Jumriany, an adviser to the Afghan minister of mines. (New York Times, op. cit.)

#26 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

We involve ourselves in the Middle East due to oil, there is little doubt about that.  Without it, we would probably ignore the various conflicts.  However, the invasion of Afghanistan specifically had nothing to do with resources, mineral or otherwise.  We went into Afghanistan because the Taliban were providing a safe haven for Al Qaeda to operate.  Denying your enemy a base of operations is military strategy 101.  The conspiracy theorist attempt to find some ulterior motive for going in is amusing, but has no basis in reality. 

#27 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

http://www.globalres...tural-gas/19769

“The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said.

While it could take many years to develop a mining industry, the potential is so great that officials and executives in the industry believe it could attract heavy investment even before mines are profitable, providing the possibility of jobs that could distract from generations of war.

“There is stunning potential here,” Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the United States Central Command, said… “There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant.”

The value of the newly discovered mineral deposits dwarfs the size of Afghanistan’s existing war-bedraggled economy, which is based largely on opium production and narcotics trafficking as well as aid from the United States and other industrialized countries. Afghanistan’s gross domestic product is only about $12 billion.

“This will become the backbone of the Afghan economy,” said Jalil Jumriany, an adviser to the Afghan minister of mines. (New York Times, op. cit.)

This has been a big known for a while but I am glad someone brought that back up. Doesn't China own the mineral rights there?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#28 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

We involve ourselves in the Middle East due to oil, there is little doubt about that. Without it, we would probably ignore the various conflicts. However, the invasion of Afghanistan specifically had nothing to do with resources, mineral or otherwise. We went into Afghanistan because the Taliban were providing a safe haven for Al Qaeda to operate. Denying your enemy a base of operations is military strategy 101. The conspiracy theorist attempt to find some ulterior motive for going in is amusing, but has no basis in reality.

I think was a combo of the two conditions.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#29 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Whatever mineral wealth is in Afghanistan is not accessible to us, and will not be for a long time, if ever.  Even if Afghanistan was peaceful, its half a world away, with no seaports, very little infrastructure, and any trucks shipping minerals would have to pass through Pakistan, Iran, or Russia (not exactly hospitable places for US companies to operate).  The logistics of getting any mineral wealth out are just not worth it for most US firms.  Any profit from these minerals are 20-30 years away, if Afghanistan settles down (a huge if).  We don't exactly have Western Corporations clamoring to get involved.  A few (mostly Indian Firms) have expressed interest in opening mining operations there, but at this point, its just talk.  And with the unsettled security situation, the smart ones will not even consider investing resources there, until things settle down. 

#30 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

The ones fighting the wars may truly believe in the cause they have chosen? On our side and theirs. But every global conflict centers around control of resources, and geo-political strength. The money and the power. I bet we go back whether we want to or not. ISIS has seized alot of wealth and oil. Which belongs to people who have enough money to make the world go round. And I am sure they will be wanting it all back?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.