#1 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

...and the guy that shot him is now charged with murder...  Hmmm... what's up with that Texas?

http://www.policesta...xas-fatal-raid/

Dinwiddie and several other SWAT agents snuck up to a window and tried to breach it to gain entry.  The commotion caused one of residents to fire on the unidentified intruders, and Dinwiddie was struck in the face.  Three others were shot; 2 were shot in the armor and 1 was shot in the thigh.

---

Marvin Louis Guy, age 50, is being held in the Killeen City Jail on a $3 million bond.  His charges include 3 counts of attempted capital murder.  He has not yet been charged with Dinwiddie’s death.

It is unclear how Mr. Guy could have reasonably made the differentiation, with a split-second’s notice, between police officers and criminal home invaders breaking into his window.

Marvin-Lewis-Guy-300x271.jpg 

Marvin Lewis Guy has been charged with 3 counts of attempted capital murder.

Police spent 12 hours combing the house for evidence of drugs.  No drugs were listed on the evidence sheet.  They did seize a laptop, a safe, a pistol, and a glass pipe, according to documents obtained by KWTX.

I'm curious as to why, when it's apparently legal in TX to shoot unauthorized entrants in your home, this guy is being charged when he had no way to know who was breaking in to his house?  

Not seeing much oft his on main stream media sites... anybody else got a link?

#2 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,194 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

/race

#3 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Here's an article in Wash Post about this and a couple other similar cases...

http://www.washingto...e-war-on-drugs/

Apparently in one just like this, the guy was not charged by the grand jury...

Last December, about 90 miles from Killeen, Henry Magee shot and killed Burleson County, Tex., Deputy Adam Sowders during a night raid on Magee’s home. Magee was raided because he was growing some pot plants. In February, a grand jury declined to indict Magee, finding that a reasonable person in his position could have thought he was being attacked and thus fired back in self-defense.

We'll see if Mr. Guy here gets the same treatment...

#4 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

That's a messed up situation all around. I feel bad for the officer, and his family that he left behind. But why would they not breach the door? Breaking in through a window early in the morning before dawn, how did they realistically expect that to go down without complication?

How did they come about this information that this man supposedly had drugs in his residence? This no knock raid poo is ridiculous anyway, if it's not a police officer getting killed, it's an innocent civilian getting shot because they kicked down the wrong door by mistake.

Charging him with murder is absurd.

Edited by TheRed, 23 June 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#5 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

I can see it from both sides, but I think more details need to come out first before anyone snaps to judgements. For example, if the cops had broken in and found he had 20 pounds of coke, and shot a cop when they came in, could he still claim self defense? This is a rare instance where the perp's guilt in one crime hangs intrinsically on if he was guilty of another.

Maybe he was innocent, although I tend to think that the not being able to differentiate between a cop and an intruder nonsense. I mean, maybe a cop on the board can enlighten me, but it's pretty much SOP, that once SWAT breaches they're literally shouting their heads off identifying themselves as cops and barking orders.

If he's not guilty of the crime for which they were executing the raid, I think the charges get dropped, because  it's perfectly understandable that a homeowner would open fire on a gang of people trying to raid his house. It's just a tragic circumstance.

I won't go so far as to say police should do away with no-knock raids. SWAT has got to be able to do their job. Without raids, perps have plenty of opportunity to destroy, hide evidence, and prepare themselves for an assault against cops. But their job has risks, including forcing your way into a potentially armed and scared person's house, innocent and guilty alike.

Sucks all around, but I think in the end, the charges won't stick. They probably are just laying charges against him in order to keep him incarcerated.

#6 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,517 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Cops get shot

Cops charge shooter because that's what cops do

Shooter wins in court

Shooter sues the police dept

Shooter wins in court

Cops lose their jobs

Shooter lives happily ever after

#7 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm not sure about the 'no-knock' raids... I'll have to do more research on that.  I think that they should probably be able to bust in the door as they announce themselves...  it appears these guys were going in the window however, which seems highly irregular to me.

This guy was apparently innocent as no drugs were found... which in my opinion is a big part of the problem, the war on drugs is just dumb.

Read the story about the other TX guy that was not indicted for this exact same situation... He DID have drugs (he was growing marijuana) and weeks before the drug raid, there was a report of a shooting at the residence... a deputy was sent and spoke with the guy, but because it was drugs, they bust in unannounced???  Makes no sense.

My main curiosity in this one is whether or not Mr. Guy is indicted for murder or not given that he is black.

#8 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

There is probably a lot more to the story, but with the little details given, I would have been shooting too.

#9 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Drugs/ Paraphernalia + firearms equals criminal charges. Who knows he might have priors and is barred from owning firearms? Informants could have given up info on him that lead the police to believe the front door was a bad idea?  

#10 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm not sure about the 'no-knock' raids... I'll have to do more research on that.  I think that they should probably be able to bust in the door as they announce themselves...  it appears these guys were going in the window however, which seems highly irregular to me.

This guy was apparently innocent as no drugs were found... which in my opinion is a big part of the problem, the war on drugs is just dumb.

Read the story about the other TX guy that was not indicted for this exact same situation... He DID have drugs (he was growing marijuana) and weeks before the drug raid, there was a report of a shooting at the residence... a deputy was sent and spoke with the guy, but because it was drugs, they bust in unannounced???  Makes no sense.

My main curiosity in this one is whether or not Mr. Guy is indicted for murder or not given that he is black.

Having grew up in the heart of gang land activities, I can tell you the bigger, smarter dealers organize without ever having product pass their the doors of their personal home. Could've been bad info from an informant?

#11 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

I do agree that the war on drugs is dumb though

#12 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Climbing in through a damn window does not sound like the better option in any scenario.

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Drugs/ Paraphernalia + firearms equals criminal charges. Who knows he might have priors and is barred from owning firearms? Informants could have given up info on him that lead the police to believe the front door was a bad idea?  

Well doesn't appear that the window was such a hot idea either...

And this guy could just be a regular Joe who got caught up in a bad situation no?  I'm not going to assume he was a dealer or anything else...

My point is that you can't have it both ways.  Either someone is allowed to defend their home or not...  if a group of guys is busting in your window unannounced, doesn't matter if they're cops.  In other words... they shouldn't be busting in your window unannounced.

#14 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

We'll be charged but not with murder on attempted murder. He needs to lawyer up.

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,743 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Why isn't everyone around her up in arms about this guys second amendment rights standing up to tyrannical Big Government?

You all seem to think in the abstract that this event is precisely what the second amendment is for (it isn't) but now seem to be hemming and hawing since it's not "Obamas jack booted thugs" depriving you (read: well armed white guy) of your liberties.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.