Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecu88

Hot in Herre

86 posts in this topic

At least you almost admit that the "98% of climate scientists agree on the consensus" is garbage.

At least you almost admit that the "98% of climate scientists agree on the consensus" is garbage.

How about, "2% of scientific papers disagree with the consensus"

Today, a higher percentage of scientists disagree on whether smoking causes cancer than those who disagree that human activity is at least in part responsible for global warming.

For more than four decades, in spite of a raft of scientific studies published in peer-reviewed journals, as well as reams of internal but undisclosed research reports, Big Tobacco companies denied that cigarettes caused cancer and were addictive. In a “Frank Statement to Cigarette Smokers” that appeared in 448 newspapers in 1954, the tobacco industry laid out the themes of denial that it would use into the 1990s: “Medical research...indicates many possible causes of lung cancer. There is no agreement among authorities regarding the cause. There is no proof that cigarette smoking is one of the causes. The validity of the statistics is questioned by numerous scientists."

smokingcancer.jpg

Any of this sound familiar?

Read more here:

http://www.jamespowell.org/Caseclosed/Castclosed.html

How about, "2% of scientific papers disagree with the consensus"

So no you will not admit it.

In science, rarely is there anything settled.

um.....

wow.

just..... wow

Libertarians and the GOP have painted themselves into a corner with their political dogma.

If they ever admit that global warming is due in part to human activities it will shatter the myth that the free market is self correcting and doesn't need government oversight.

They would rather risk major environmental chaos and all the negative consequences that entails.

lol

Again, what do you want me to admit?  That I dont want to frame the argument the way you prefer?  You arent backing up any of your assertions, you seem to be more interested in casting doubt on things than actually finding answers.

Look, you clearly dont think that humans are responsible for the majority of the warming we have seen, yet you have done nothing to support that conclusion.  I have no problem with people criticizing the idea that climate change will introduce some doomsday scenario (something I dont think is remotely likely anytime soon) but guess what?  That is really not what the actual scientists are saying.  Climate scientists are trying to model future temperature rise (and the associated sea level rise and other issues), but the consequences from these things are really more speculation than facts at this point. 

These consequences are what a great deal of the science is actually focused on at this point, and are a subject of great debate

Again, what do you want me to admit?  That I dont want to frame the argument the way you prefer?  You arent backing up any of your assertions, you seem to be more interested in casting doubt on things than actually finding answers.

Look, you clearly dont think that humans are responsible for the majority of the warming we have seen, yet you have done nothing to support that conclusion.  

The only thing I am casting doubt upon is the unanimous (98%!) scientific consensus which should  be pretty debunked by now. Done it again in this thread based on Mav's own citings. If you don't want to back away from that then there is no discussion to be had. It's like saying "so we all agree on creationism let's start the discussion from there."

Your second sentence is a strawman as that is not my stance nor has it been.