111 replies to this topic

#1 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Shula really dampens my excited to some degree about this team and upcoming season. I am just not sold on him being a good OC, much less great. I am hoping this is his make or break year. If he can show solid improvement and get to good, then ok great, but if not he needs to be replaced by a proven successful OC. 

#2 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Gonna live and die as a faithful Panther Fan

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,436 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Ramsdell is the man that is going to save Shula.   Actually Shula will have the title but I believe this is going to be Offensive Coordinator by committee.

#3 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

I think the conservative nature was more about the weapons we had available and taking the calculated steps to win football games.

But I do want to see the offense open up this year for sure. Olsen, Dickson, Williams, Cotchery, and KB are all big targets. We need TD's in the redzone every time.

#4 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,317 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

Shula is not anywhere near as bad as everyone seems to think. Our offensive line and poor rushing aside from Cam was far more of an issue.

#5 Lemory

Lemory

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • LocationRivera's Doghouse

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

It's already been said but the addition of Ramsdell should help him a lot.

#6 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

Shula is not anywhere near as bad as everyone seems to think. Our offensive line and poor rushing aside from Cam was far more of an issue.

Shula has been poor everywhere he has called the plays. 

At some point you gotta stop making excuses and do more with less. 

After all, that is the mark of a great playcaller. 

#7 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,682 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

I know people like to pick and choose what they want to believe from reporters but Voth said a while back to not expect Ramsdell to have a huge role in the offensive schemes. (i.e. Shula is still calling the shots).

#8 Cj72

Cj72

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Maybe I'm just easy to please, but as long as the Panthers finish 12-4 I'm not complaining about shula. Hell, I wouldn't care if the homeless browns draft advisor guy was oc. If you finish that good eventually you'll have to get lucky and win a superbowl! ( unless of course you are the bills)

Sent from my SCH-R950 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#9 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

Maybe I'm just easy to please, but as long as the Panthers finish 12-4 I'm not complaining about shula. Hell, I wouldn't care if the homeless browns draft advisor guy was oc. If you finish that good eventually you'll have to get lucky and win a superbowl! ( unless of course you are the bills)

Sent from my SCH-R950 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I think you are missing the big picture. The only reason we were 12-4 was largely due to the ELITE D. And i dont know about you, but I want to win the superbowl. Lets not get complacent here. 

If you want to beat the SEA's and SF's of the world consistently and take that next step, a vanilla unimaginative offense will not get done against other ELITE D's. 

Additionally, every unit of the team should strive and accept nothing less than excellence. Having an offense ranked in the bottom half of the league is not that. 

Edited by MedellinHeel, 25 June 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#10 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,317 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

Shula has been poor everywhere he has called the plays.

At some point you gotta stop making excuses and do more with less.

After all, that is the mark of a great playcaller.

That's a load of bull. No amount of offensive genius can cover up a lack of talent. Bill Walsh didn't do crap without his loaded 49ers squads. Shula wasn't the problem, the offense did what the offense was designed to do: control the ball and take pressure off Cam to do everything. We didn't squander loads of skill players, we made do with the hand dealt us and just didn't make all the plays we needed to move on.

#11 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

That's a load of bull. No amount of offensive genius can cover up a lack of talent. Bill Walsh didn't do crap without his loaded 49ers squads. Shula wasn't the problem, the offense did what the offense was designed to do: control the ball and take pressure off Cam to do everything. We didn't squander loads of skill players, we made do with the hand dealt us and just didn't make all the plays we needed to move on.

Wow. Reason!!

#12 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,317 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Shula was average. The offense was average. The talent was average. This is the same malarkey thrown Rivera's way back when the defense was blowing games left and right. We'll improve as Cam grows and our young talent grows with him. Shula helps that far more than some hotshot who thinks his plays are awesome and refuses to engage his young QB in the offense.

#13 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,452 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Shula really dampens my excited to some degree about this team and upcoming season. I am just not sold on him being a good OC, much less great. I am hoping this is his make or break year. If he can show solid improvement and get to good, then ok great, but if not he needs to be replaced by a proven successful OC. 

Wishful thinking on the part of Shula critics.

I don't think Rivera sees it that way at all.

#14 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

If the Oline gets better, Shula won't be a problem.

#15 Mojo

Mojo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

I think you are missing the big picture. The only reason we were 12-4 was largely due to the ELITE D. And i dont know about you, but I want to win the superbowl. Lets not get complacent here. 

If you want to beat the SEA's and SF's of the world consistently and take that next step, a vanilla unimaginative offense will not get done against other ELITE D's. 

Additionally, every unit of the team should strive and accept nothing less than excellence. Having an offense ranked in the bottom half of the league is not that. 

Totally agree with you.  I had mentioned this in another thread as well.  We finished 12-4 in spite of Shula, not because of him.  Our defense and some good bounces helped us to that record.  We overachieved to be honest.  Nothing wrong with wanting a more potent offense to go with a great D.  The offense was good in spells but we definitely need more of an offense in case our D has an off game.

Do people not remember how many times Shula drew up a long-developing play on 2nd or 3rd and 3?  Or how many times Cam himself had to bail us out?  Not to say there weren't bright spots but let's be real here.

Edited by Wellwellwell, 25 June 2014 - 05:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com