Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I will never work for a corporation again

171 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My girlfriend's 15 year old son says he wants to be a doctor.  When I ask him why, he says it's because doctors make a lot of money and don't have to work very hard.

He's a good kid overall, but let's just say I find his expectations about the work world a tad...unrealistic.

Posted · Report post

Sigh.

Basically, a job that the company deemed understaffed, was performed by OP and someone else. They worked very hard and efficient, therefor, getting it done even faster than the company expected. So the two employees who worked very hard and efficient and did the job of 3 people, get penalized so the company could save a few bucks. The predetermined shift was 8 hours from what I gather. Do you not understand his frustration or should he be happy for getting penalized for working hard and efficient? Are you saying he should just work less hard? Since you are apparently the hardest worker known to man with the manliest job in the world, wouldn't someone like you NEVER say that?

Why is it not shady when you hire someone for 20 hours a week (and they need that for bills) then keep letting them off early because they are doing their job too well? Do people expect loyalty from employees when they are treated like this? Should they get a second job and say they can come in to work only if they get let go early from the first job?

What I see is someone who contradicts their own post, who won't listen to anything, and who doesn't grasp basic economics.

When you supervise people and have to explain labor cost to your boss maybe you'll get it.

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

What I see is someone who contradicts their own post, who won't listen to anything, and who doesn't grasp basic economics.

When you supervise people and have to explain labor cost to your boss maybe you'll get it.

So you are saying he should work less-efficiently next time so he doesn't get let go early?  You are saying that instead of rewarding hard work, it's cool and OK for companies to not honor their hourly commitment and let people go home?   I bet you also expect that people should have loyalty and give a crap about their jobs after being treated like this too, right?  You're probably surprised when work quality and productivity goes down monthly as workers don't feel like they are appreciated.

Posted · Report post

So you are saying he should work less-efficiently next time so he doesn't get let go early? You are saying that instead of rewarding hard work, it's cool and OK for companies to not honor their hourly commitment and let people go home? I bet you also expect that people should have loyalty and give a crap about their jobs after being treated like this too, right? You're probably surprised when work quality and productivity goes down monthly as workers don't feel like they are appreciated.

Really what you're saying is because he worked hard for six he should be able to stick around and play with his dick for two hours? It's work not I guarantee you so many hours. You don't even know what you're arguing. Figure it out, draw up some good point and counter points then get back to me.

Posted · Report post

Really what you're saying is because he worked hard for six he should be able to stick around and play with his dick for two hours? It's work not I guarantee you so many hours. You don't even know what you're arguing. Figure it out, draw up some good point and counter points then get back to me.

Oh I know what I am arguing, but I don't think you do.  You won't answer my questions that I have asked like 3 times.

If someone says come in for 8 hours, and then you get a job done efficiently, fast, and accurate, you shouldn't be penalized.   Mainly, I am saying that yeah, he has a right to be a bit frustrated.  You though, are saying he shouldn't be frustrated, but happy that he came in to work 8 hours, but worked so hard and efficient, he doesn't get paid for the full 8 hours and can somehow find that money somewhere else for bills?  He should leave with a smile on his face and whistling?  All I am saying is, his frustration is not unwarranted and yes, that manager doesn't understand how to manage correctly.

Posted · Report post

Hey, look you finally get it at the very end. I don't believe in debating with people who use cable news tactics to get their point across. Asking the same question over and over again will not get the best answer.

Posted · Report post

Don't you know the whole purpose for that store - or any company's - existence is to provide people with paychecks?

(yeah, when I was young I thought that too)

If there's one thing a lot of guys need to get through their head it's that businesses don't exist to hand out money to workers.  People start businesses so that they can make money.  If the business doesn't do that (say, for example, because they're paying people to do nothing) then they don't stay in business.

Out here in the real world, if you're producing, then you're a value.  If you aren't, they'll let you go.  And if you were the one running the business and watching your bottom line, that's what you'd do too...or you'd lose your shirt.

Posted · Report post

Don't you know the whole purpose for that store - or any company's - existence is to provide people with paychecks?

(yeah, when I was young I thought that too)

If there's one thing a lot of guys need to get through their head it's that businesses don't exist to hand out money to workers.  People start businesses so that they can make money.  If the business doesn't do that (say, for example, because they're paying people to do nothing) then they don't stay in business.

Out here in the real world, if you're producing, then you're a value.  If you aren't, they'll let you go.  And if you were the one running the business and watching your bottom line, that's what you'd do too...or you'd lose your shirt.

But if you work people to the bone just so you can short them of two hours of work a day, pretty soon you will have an unhappy, unmotivated, bitter, or even non-existent workforce, which also makes it hard to stay in business.

Believe it or not, there is more to business than just the bottom line. And if you treat it as such, pretty soon CNBC will be running a scathing documentary about you.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

These jobs are not designed to be easy this should motivate people to finish school and find something they enjoy.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

But if you work people to the bone just so you can short them of two hours of work a day, pretty soon you will have an unhappy, unmotivated, bitter, or even non-existent workforce, which also makes it hard to stay in business.

Believe it or not, there is more to business than just the bottom line. And if you treat it as such, pretty soon CNBC will be running a scathing documentary about you.

I don't think they understand the point.  I'm not sure if they are just too old and set in their ways or they feel they work harder than everyone else so everyone else can just stfu and enjoy it (Madhatter syndrome). 

OP had valid reason to be frustrated, no need to attack him for a valid reason. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Good for you, but being profitable in one's own business is highly dependent on a few things. 

1. What field your business is in.

2.  Ability and ambition

3. Depending on what that field is, one's willingness to not make much money during the early years

A lot don't make it, and the younger one is, the less likely making it is.

I know its hard to start as I didn't have duechenozzle parents to give me capital like some. I started paycheck to paychck working for a flooring company. You just have to start somewhere.  All I can say is keep your outlook open and have some money put away b/c you never know when and where an opportunity will pop up. 

Try finding a small business to work for.  Much more opportunity for rapid growth.

Posted · Report post

There's a lot of management that's about knowing how to deal with people.  Won't argue there.

That said, my girlfriend's daughter works in a grocery store.  Sometimes she gets hours, and sometimes she doesn't.  She's not always happy with it, but she gets that's how it works, especially that something is better than nothing.

Will say this too.  Most managers are pretty good at knowing when someone is working their best and when someone is slacking to draw things out.  Pulling something like that to get more hours now probably means you mark yourself and wind up with even fewer hours down the road.

Do a good job, even in an abbreviated time, and you've got a better chance of getting noticed.

2 people like this

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments