#46 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

But if you work people to the bone just so you can short them of two hours of work a day, pretty soon you will have an unhappy, unmotivated, bitter, or even non-existent workforce, which also makes it hard to stay in business.

Believe it or not, there is more to business than just the bottom line. And if you treat it as such, pretty soon CNBC will be running a scathing documentary about you.

I don't think they understand the point.  I'm not sure if they are just too old and set in their ways or they feel they work harder than everyone else so everyone else can just stfu and enjoy it (Madhatter syndrome). 

OP had valid reason to be frustrated, no need to attack him for a valid reason. 

#47 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Good for you, but being profitable in one's own business is highly dependent on a few things. 

1. What field your business is in.

2.  Ability and ambition

3. Depending on what that field is, one's willingness to not make much money during the early years

A lot don't make it, and the younger one is, the less likely making it is.

I know its hard to start as I didn't have duechenozzle parents to give me capital like some. I started paycheck to paychck working for a flooring company. You just have to start somewhere.  All I can say is keep your outlook open and have some money put away b/c you never know when and where an opportunity will pop up. 

Try finding a small business to work for.  Much more opportunity for rapid growth.

#48 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,716 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

But if you work people to the bone just so you can short them of two hours of work a day, pretty soon you will have an unhappy, unmotivated, bitter, or even non-existent workforce, which also makes it hard to stay in business.

Believe it or not, there is more to business than just the bottom line. And if you treat it as such, pretty soon CNBC will be running a scathing documentary about you.

There's a lot of management that's about knowing how to deal with people.  Won't argue there.

That said, my girlfriend's daughter works in a grocery store.  Sometimes she gets hours, and sometimes she doesn't.  She's not always happy with it, but she gets that's how it works, especially that something is better than nothing.

Will say this too.  Most managers are pretty good at knowing when someone is working their best and when someone is slacking to draw things out.  Pulling something like that to get more hours now probably means you mark yourself and wind up with even fewer hours down the road.

Do a good job, even in an abbreviated time, and you've got a better chance of getting noticed.

Edited by Mr. Scot, 03 July 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#49 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

There's a lot of management that's about knowing how to deal with people. Won't argue there.

That said, my girlfriend's daughter works in a grocery store. Sometimes she gets hours, and sometimes she doesn't. She's not always happy with it, but she gets that's how it works, especially that something is better than nothing.

Will say this too. Most managers are pretty good at knowing when someone is working their best and when someone is slacking to draw things out. Pulling something like that to get more hours now probably means you mark yourself and wind up with even fewer hours down the road.

Do a good job, even in an abbreviated time, and you've got a better chance of getting noticed.

Yes, but a management approach that is "work more so I can pay you less," is not going to be well received by any work force. I wouldn't work like that, & I assume most people wouldn't either. Its not encouraging hard work it is disincentivizing it.

Granted I think hourly jobs are supposed to suck by design. The one thing I took away from my jobs working in retail and at a golf driving range was work hard in college so I dont have to do this for a living.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#50 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,195 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

The people that called in sick should be thank op and also be concerned they dont bring much to the table if 2 guys did the work of 3 in LESS time.
Also. Wasnt the OP off that day to begin with? Wouldnt you want to go back home? Unless im missing something he went from NOT being paid for that day to getting paid for 6 hrs.
Of course I have been in and out of the heat and maybe hallucinating. Is that a dolphin playing texas hold em?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#51 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,676 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

If you had plans, and had to cancel because you had to work 8 hours, you're plans are probably shot as that point.

And yeah those dudes need to be worried lol.

#52 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,716 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Yes, but a management approach that is "work more so I can pay you less," is not going to be well received by any work force. I wouldn't work like that, & I assume most people wouldn't either. Its not encouraging hard work it is disincentivizing it.

Granted I think hourly jobs are supposed to suck by design. The one thing I took away from my jobs working in retail and at a golf driving range was work hard in college so I dont have to do this for a living.

I'm kind of hoping my girlfriend's son gets that message soon.

Like I said, he's a good kid, but he can be a bit of be slacker. He'd rather play video games all day than do anything else so right now he thinks being a clerk at GameStop is a dream job.

I have a feeling that sometime in the next few years, real life is going to kick him in the balls (probably pretty hard).

On the topic of management, I did it for two years. Have no desire to do it again. Granted that rank has it's privileges, but for me the trade off wasn't worth it.

#53 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,751 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

There's a lot of management that's about knowing how to deal with people.  Won't argue there.

That said, my girlfriend's daughter works in a grocery store.  Sometimes she gets hours, and sometimes she doesn't.  She's not always happy with it, but she gets that's how it works, especially that something is better than nothing.

Will say this too.  Most managers are pretty good at knowing when someone is working their best and when someone is slacking to draw things out.  Pulling something like that to get more hours now probably means you mark yourself and wind up with even fewer hours down the road.

yeah...that extra 6 hrs was this months water bill.  

:)

Edited by Jangler, 03 July 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#54 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

I'm kind of hoping my girlfriend's son gets that message soon.

Like I said, he's a good kid, but he can be a bit of be slacker. He'd rather play video games all day than do anything else so right now he thinks being a clerk at GameStop is a dream job.

I have a feeling that sometime in the next few years, real life is going to kick him in the balls (probably pretty hard).

On the topic of management, I did it for two years. Have no desire to do it again. Granted that rank has it's privileges, but for me the trade off wasn't worth it.

I almost do the same job before I went to college. Now I just have a little more math and a lot more paperwork. Know how much fun it is writing the same report three times from three different views because one goes to my engineering supervisor, one goes to payroll, and the other goes to a non-engineering supervisor. Work is fun.

Attached Files

#55 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,313 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

When I worked an hourly position many years ago, the company wanted us to work hard up to the 40 hours per week, and once you got into over time, they had to send you home unless there was a critical need.  In the year before I left this place, I started to help with the acounting a litlte bit, and it became clear why they do this.   Most businesses like these operate on a thin profit margin, and if they dip below the expected margin over a specific time period, then heads tend to roll.  

And as far who gets the hours, management tends to favor older/long term employees over the younger ones with summer jobs.  It was a fact of life when I worked at at cafeteria back long ago, and I imagine the same is true at Grocery Stores, other types of restaurants, retail shops etc...  They are more concerned about keeping the regular employees that might be there next year and the year after than the young ones who are just working a summer or part-time job. 

#56 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

These jobs are not designed to be easy this should motivate people to finish school and find something they enjoy.

Cause that's how the real world works...

#57 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

Can you guys not read?  He's upset because he was supposed to come in for 8 hours of work, but because they worked hard and efficient, the way you should, he got let go 2 hours earlier than he should have.  Basically, he was penalized for being a good employee and is frustrated.

But it was an extra 6 hours to begin with...

OP was supposed to be volunteering at the library and got called in.  And so he is bitching about getting only 6 hours of bonus time and not 8?

WTF?

#58 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

OP May value his volunteering time more than 6 hours. OP May also get fewer net hours depending on how hours are scheduled at his work place. Most importantly, OP is annoyed that working hard earned him two hours less salary than working less hard would have.

Sent from my VS890 4G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#59 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,195 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

He could have said no. No grounds to be fired.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#60 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I may have misunderstood but I thought management called him in for an 8 hour shift. 2 hours makes a big difference for some workers. So, he said yes to 8 hours, but got 6. Not like he can say no and go back in time

Sent from my VS890 4G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.