170 replies to this topic

#41 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMatthews, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Really what you're saying is because he worked hard for six he should be able to stick around and play with his dick for two hours? It's work not I guarantee you so many hours. You don't even know what you're arguing. Figure it out, draw up some good point and counter points then get back to me.

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Oh I know what I am arguing, but I don't think you do.  You won't answer my questions that I have asked like 3 times.

If someone says come in for 8 hours, and then you get a job done efficiently, fast, and accurate, you shouldn't be penalized.   Mainly, I am saying that yeah, he has a right to be a bit frustrated.  You though, are saying he shouldn't be frustrated, but happy that he came in to work 8 hours, but worked so hard and efficient, he doesn't get paid for the full 8 hours and can somehow find that money somewhere else for bills?  He should leave with a smile on his face and whistling?  All I am saying is, his frustration is not unwarranted and yes, that manager doesn't understand how to manage correctly.

Edited by Zaximus, 03 July 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#42 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

#FireShula

• LocationGreeley, Co
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hey, look you finally get it at the very end. I don't believe in debating with people who use cable news tactics to get their point across. Asking the same question over and over again will not get the best answer.

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#43 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Really what you're saying is because he worked hard for six he should be able to stick around and play with his dick for two hours? It's work not I guarantee you so many hours. You don't even know what you're arguing. Figure it out, draw up some good point and counter points then get back to me.

Don't you know the whole purpose for that store - or any company's - existence is to provide people with paychecks?

(yeah, when I was young I thought that too)

If there's one thing a lot of guys need to get through their head it's that businesses don't exist to hand out money to workers.  People start businesses so that they can make money.  If the business doesn't do that (say, for example, because they're paying people to do nothing) then they don't stay in business.

Out here in the real world, if you're producing, then you're a value.  If you aren't, they'll let you go.  And if you were the one running the business and watching your bottom line, that's what you'd do too...or you'd lose your shirt.

#44 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.
HUDDLER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Don't you know the whole purpose for that store - or any company's - existence is to provide people with paychecks?

(yeah, when I was young I thought that too)

If there's one thing a lot of guys need to get through their head it's that businesses don't exist to hand out money to workers.  People start businesses so that they can make money.  If the business doesn't do that (say, for example, because they're paying people to do nothing) then they don't stay in business.

Out here in the real world, if you're producing, then you're a value.  If you aren't, they'll let you go.  And if you were the one running the business and watching your bottom line, that's what you'd do too...or you'd lose your shirt.

But if you work people to the bone just so you can short them of two hours of work a day, pretty soon you will have an unhappy, unmotivated, bitter, or even non-existent workforce, which also makes it hard to stay in business.

Believe it or not, there is more to business than just the bottom line. And if you treat it as such, pretty soon CNBC will be running a scathing documentary about you.

#45 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Honorary Honeydick Member

• LocationGATOR CREEK- SC
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

These jobs are not designed to be easy this should motivate people to finish school and find something they enjoy.

#46 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• LocationMatthews, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

But if you work people to the bone just so you can short them of two hours of work a day, pretty soon you will have an unhappy, unmotivated, bitter, or even non-existent workforce, which also makes it hard to stay in business.

Believe it or not, there is more to business than just the bottom line. And if you treat it as such, pretty soon CNBC will be running a scathing documentary about you.

I don't think they understand the point.  I'm not sure if they are just too old and set in their ways or they feel they work harder than everyone else so everyone else can just stfu and enjoy it (Madhatter syndrome). 

OP had valid reason to be frustrated, no need to attack him for a valid reason. 

#47 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

HUDDLER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Good for you, but being profitable in one's own business is highly dependent on a few things. 

1. What field your business is in.

2.  Ability and ambition

3. Depending on what that field is, one's willingness to not make much money during the early years

A lot don't make it, and the younger one is, the less likely making it is.

I know its hard to start as I didn't have duechenozzle parents to give me capital like some. I started paycheck to paychck working for a flooring company. You just have to start somewhere.  All I can say is keep your outlook open and have some money put away b/c you never know when and where an opportunity will pop up. 

Try finding a small business to work for.  Much more opportunity for rapid growth.

#48 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

There's a lot of management that's about knowing how to deal with people.  Won't argue there.

That said, my girlfriend's daughter works in a grocery store.  Sometimes she gets hours, and sometimes she doesn't.  She's not always happy with it, but she gets that's how it works, especially that something is better than nothing.

Will say this too.  Most managers are pretty good at knowing when someone is working their best and when someone is slacking to draw things out.  Pulling something like that to get more hours now probably means you mark yourself and wind up with even fewer hours down the road.

Do a good job, even in an abbreviated time, and you've got a better chance of getting noticed.

Edited by Mr. Scot, 03 July 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#49 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.
HUDDLER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

There's a lot of management that's about knowing how to deal with people. Won't argue there.

That said, my girlfriend's daughter works in a grocery store. Sometimes she gets hours, and sometimes she doesn't. She's not always happy with it, but she gets that's how it works, especially that something is better than nothing.

Will say this too. Most managers are pretty good at knowing when someone is working their best and when someone is slacking to draw things out. Pulling something like that to get more hours now probably means you mark yourself and wind up with even fewer hours down the road.

Do a good job, even in an abbreviated time, and you've got a better chance of getting noticed.

Yes, but a management approach that is "work more so I can pay you less," is not going to be well received by any work force. I wouldn't work like that, & I assume most people wouldn't either. Its not encouraging hard work it is disincentivizing it.

Granted I think hourly jobs are supposed to suck by design. The one thing I took away from my jobs working in retail and at a golf driving range was work hard in college so I dont have to do this for a living.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#50 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

The people that called in sick should be thank op and also be concerned they dont bring much to the table if 2 guys did the work of 3 in LESS time.
Also. Wasnt the OP off that day to begin with? Wouldnt you want to go back home? Unless im missing something he went from NOT being paid for that day to getting paid for 6 hrs.
Of course I have been in and out of the heat and maybe hallucinating. Is that a dolphin playing texas hold em?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users