Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FBI: violent crime rates drop to historic lows

437 posts in this topic

Posted

read this article about how violent crimes in america have dropped to a historic low, according to the FBI.

i'm posting this because someone i know posted in on facebook with the following commentary:

of course the liberals that wrote the article ignored the fact that concealed carry permits and gun ownership is at an all-time high.

besides attributing previously inflated numbers due to drug epidemics decades ago that caused huge data swings, the criminology prof cited throughout much of the article does not mention gun ownership, instead attributing the drops to a number of sociological factors.

LaFree said a combination of factors – from a weak economy and an aging population to increased immigration and a more robust police presence across the country – have contributed to the drop.

“One of the responses of society is to pull together when there’s a huge crisis and a feeling of great difficulty,” LaFree said, adding that the economic climate may have contributed to this peaceful trend.

Additionally, with the current U.S. median age at 37.2 years, older than ever before, the aging population is another possible cause, LaFree said. “There is some truth to the fact that younger people commit more crimes,” he said.

“We also have a record number of immigrants, and contrary to popular belief,” LaFree said, “immigrants have lower crime rates than the rest of society.”

i'm curious what everyone thinks. is gun ownership a specious link here, or is lafree trying to hide something?

provide data with your responses and cite your sources plz

Posted

Certainly gun ownership has increased but I doubt that is a major contributor to these stats.

One line in the article:

“We also have a record number of immigrants, and contrary to popular belief,” LaFree said, “immigrants have lower crime rates than the rest of society.”

Is he just talking legal immigrants or illegal immigrants as that is an interesting claim.

Posted

i'm not sure, i thought that was interesting as well. i've never heard that argument surfaced before.

Posted

I suspect it is somewhat regional, obviously the rates would be skewed in a heavily Illegal Immigrant state like California versus say Vermont.

Posted

I think there are too many factors to even consider.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 person likes this

Posted

hammerheads have decreased too

1 person likes this

Posted

This can all be traced back to banning the metal tips of lawn darts. All downhill from there.

Posted

so does correlation = causation on this one?

or are we mired in the bog of funny graphs?

10258355_10204140684778256_1371690126824

Posted

Then there's six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Posted

Never doubt Nic Cage.

I'd say #1 is police presence and technology and a better understanding of criminal trends. Its allowed police the ability to anticipate better.

Im sure the guys at freakanomics has something to say on this.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've continually heard people suggest that when the economy is bad / poverty is rampant, crime goes up.

The quote here says that in tough times, crime goes down because people 'pull together'.

Which is true?

Posted

I've continually heard people suggest that when the economy is bad / poverty is rampant, crime goes up.

The quote here says that in tough times, crime goes down because people 'pull together'.

Which is true?

that struck me as weird coming from a criminology professor. durkheim's strain theory still resonates pretty heavily in criminal theory so it seems odd that he'd downplay the economy.

i would love to see a full transcript of this guy's commentary.