Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hornets salary cap situation

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Not sure I would pay to keep that group together, different players and same result as last Charlotte NBA playoff team. 7/8 seed max in a weak eastern conference.

At least it gives MKG, Zeller, PJ and Vonleh time to improve on the bench for a season or two and then become the core of the team going forward.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

Posted · Report post

Not sure I would pay to keep that group together, different players and same result as last Charlotte NBA playoff team. 7/8 seed max in a weak eastern conference.

At least it gives MKG, Zeller, PJ and Vonleh time to improve on the bench for a season or two and then become the core of the team going forward.

What group are you talking about?

- Unless there is a trade Henderson, Hairston, MKG, Williams, Zeller, and Vonleh will be on the team.

- Our back-up point guard that we sign this year will most likely be in the roster

- Jefferson will most definitely be on the roster and will probably get a substantial raise.

The only you open up cap space is if you let Kemba walk. If we let Kemba, Biyombo, and Neal hit the market, there is a chance we could have around $15 mil in cap space with a huge hole at point guard. So essentially you are replacing Kemba with someone like Dragic then once again using the MLE and bi-annual to fill out the roster.

Posted · Report post

We've still got cap room to overpay Deng on a short contract. That seems to be the Hornets approach.

Posted · Report post

What group are you talking about?

- Unless there is a trade Henderson, Hairston, MKG, Williams, Zeller, and Vonleh will be on the team.

- Our back-up point guard that we sign this year will most likely be in the roster

- Jefferson will most definitely be on the roster and will probably get a substantial raise.

The only you open up cap space is if you let Kemba walk. If we let Kemba, Biyombo, and Neal hit the market, there is a chance we could have around $15 mil in cap space with a huge hole at point guard. So essentially you are replacing Kemba with someone like Dragic then once again using the MLE and bi-annual to fill out the roster.

I'm talking about the core in place, being capped at a 7/8 seed in the east. MJ's whole point of blowing up the roster back in 2010 because the team was capped with no way to improve the team in a major way. Back to the same spot now after the Williams deal. That's all I was getting at.

Posted · Report post

$12.8 mil in cap? Looks like enough to sign Lance for sure.

Posted · Report post

Anyone think that MJ and Cho were just fuggn with us? Knowing they weren't going to sign any big free agents. That's why they chose to throw a max at Hayward instead of Lance/Deng/Ariza/Parsons, eventho Utah had made it very clear that they were going to match it no matter what. Now, we're in a position to get no one. Easy way out for them to give us fans an excuse to why they didn't make any splash signing.

Posted · Report post

I'm talking about the core in place, being capped at a 7/8 seed in the east. MJ's whole point of blowing up the roster back in 2010 because the team was capped with no way to improve the team in a major way. Back to the same spot now after the Williams deal. That's all I was getting at.

Oh okay.

Yeah it appears that unless Zeller, MKG, Taylor, and Vonleh become studs in the next two years we're in the same spot.

Posted · Report post

Bump...

The number is just over $10 mil (about $10.2). That's also condition on P.J. and Vonleh getting the low end. Vonleh could get up to $3 and P.J. could get up to $1.2.

Posted · Report post

at this point, PJ should be happy if we gave him a one year membership to the jelly of the month club

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

This is now updated with the Roberts signing. Woj said "$5.5 million plus", so this isn't 100% accurate as the actual number hasn't been released. We're up to 12 out of 15 roster spots filled, and technically do not have to sign anyone else.

Posted · Report post

Hopefully Lance takes a 2y/20mil with us.

Posted · Report post

The roster is taking shape...

PG: Walker, Roberts, ???
SG: Henderson, Hairston, Neal
SF: Kidd-Gilchrist, Taylor
PF: Williams, Zeller, Vonleh
C: Jefferson, Biyombo

Give me Stephenson, a decent third string point guard, and Josh Davis and I'll be a happy man.