Photo
- - - - -

We keep hearing Cho might rather make a trade....

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#16 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,957 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

I feel like Minnesota is going to have to cave if they want anything in return for Love.

Otherwise, he'll just walk.

#17 Tub of Goo

Tub of Goo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, N.C.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

I feel like Minnesota is going to have to cave if they want anything in return for Love.

Yeah seriously, and that'd be such a disaster for Minnesota.  I wonder if Golden State/Cavs use that as leverage during these negotiations.

"Ehh we'll just keep Wiggins and sign Love next summer, have a good season!" 

#18 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

We don't need to finish our roster in July.  

We can be patient and just see how the season and trade market goes and maybe pull off a deal mid-season.  

I know everyone will freak out anyways, but just try to remember: our team can be different at the middle of the season than it is at the beginning.  

#19 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,957 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

We don't need to finish our roster in July.

We can be patient and just see how the season and trade market goes and maybe pull off a deal mid-season.

I know everyone will freak out anyways, but just try to remember: our team can be different at the middle of the season than it is at the beginning.

It normally is.

I could be mistaken, but I believe ever since Cho got here we've made at least one trade each season by the trade deadline.

#20 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,501 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

This maybe a scenario where it's being thought we're trying to facilitate a Love trade to another team but that could be a whole other 3 teams and we have some out of nowhere one brewing.  

#21 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,124 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

For who?

#22 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,501 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

For who?

I'm still thinking haha

#23 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg Manitoba Canada

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

That's why you haven't seen GS and Cleveland fold. They both feel the same way. At some point they're going to have to trade him or minnesota will be left with nothing.

And to answer OP. I don't see why Toronto would trade DD. The east is pretty open now and after locking up Lowry the Raps should be fighting for home court advantage again. DD is also the face of that franchise, I just don't see it happening.

#24 Gay Cowboy

Gay Cowboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'd rather have DD than any other SG in the league. No way Tor trades him.

#25 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Boston has done the same thing with Rondo for years and eventually they will cave, and I think it could be soon.

#26 Mike

Mike

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

Boston has done the same thing with Rondo for years and eventually they will cave, and I think it could be soon.

The difference with Rondo is the Celtics have won a championship and been to the play offs 6 out 8 seasons in his career. They are currently rebuilding, and while that is not something he will enjoy being a part of, the fact is they have an elite PG to build around. Generally teams don't give away elite players, and instead try to surround them with players that can help them compete for a championship.  

The Celtics have some decent pieces like Avery Bradley and Jeff Green, both guys can become contributors for them going forwards. Then there some young recent draft picks like Olynek, Smart and Young that can have bright futures. Now I'm not sure how good the Celtics will be this season, but if they can show signs of improvement and that they are heading in the right direction, it is possible that Rondo signs a new contract with them.

They might end up trading Rondo because they have Marcus Smart, but for me, I would rather build my team around an elite PG like Rondo than Marcus Smart. Don't get me wrong, Smart is talented, but has he the potential to become a better player than Rondo? I'm not convinced. 

#27 Gay Cowboy

Gay Cowboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Rondo isn't elite. He wasn't even that good last year. He hasn't been elite for years. Boston should've traded him a long time ago.

#28 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

The difference with Rondo is the Celtics have won a championship and been to the play offs 6 out 8 seasons in his career. They are currently rebuilding, and while that is not something he will enjoy being a part of, the fact is they have an elite PG to build around. Generally teams don't give away elite players, and instead try to surround them with players that can help them compete for a championship.

The Celtics have some decent pieces like Avery Bradley and Jeff Green, both guys can become contributors for them going forwards. Then there some young recent draft picks like Olynek, Smart and Young that can have bright futures. Now I'm not sure how good the Celtics will be this season, but if they can show signs of improvement and that they are heading in the right direction, it is possible that Rondo signs a new contract with them.

They might end up trading Rondo because they have Marcus Smart, but for me, I would rather build my team around an elite PG like Rondo than Marcus Smart. Don't get me wrong, Smart is talented, but has he the potential to become a better player than Rondo? I'm not convinced.

I think Rondo is a bit of a unique player though. He is a great defender, rebounder, and passer, but he does not score enough to a true number one player. I think his value really comes into play with him as a second or third guy that does so much.

He makes a lot more sense on a playoff team, so I think the Celtics probably move him. If you can get a decent return for him, it makes more sense than hoping that the Celtics will be championship caliber in the next 3-4 years.

#29 PappyMay

PappyMay

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Anyone think we would make a play at Rudy Gay during the season or next season...Heard alot about us going after him before he opted in. He wont get near that contract he has now next season.

#30 Mike

Mike

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

I think Rondo is a bit of a unique player though. He is a great defender, rebounder, and passer, but he does not score enough to a true number one player. I think his value really comes into play with him as a second or third guy that does so much.

He makes a lot more sense on a playoff team, so I think the Celtics probably move him. If you can get a decent return for him, it makes more sense than hoping that the Celtics will be championship caliber in the next 3-4 years.

If the Celtics clear cap space they can make a run at free agents next off season. I think the likes of Kevin Love (if he isn't dealt), LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Big Al (if he opts out) etc would rather have Rondo at PG than Smart...

If the Celtics can add a top tier free agent and hit lucky in the draft, they can start building themselves into a competitive outfit. Granted it might make sense to deal Rondo and get something for him, but what will a team offer for him?

The Kings might throw a first round pick their way plus Maccllum and McLemore; or a contender might throw some picks their way; but whatever the deal, unless it was too good to turn down, I'd keep Rondo and re-sign him.

I think Rondo, Bradley, Green, Young, Smart and co makes for a decent young core. Add another set of draft picks and add a big name free agent, and they can make progress. Some teams have risen quickly, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Celtics back as a force in the next couple of seasons.

Edited by Mike, 14 July 2014 - 06:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users