Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Silva's Pre-Camp Team Rankings (Panthers: 17th)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Good roster breakdown considering it's Rotoworld.

I think it's a fair ranking but could argue us a little higher (11-15) 

17. Carolina Panthers

QB: Cam Newton
RB: DeAngelo Williams
FB: Mike Tolbert
WR: Jerricho Cotchery*
WR: Kelvin Benjamin*
TE: Greg Olsen
LT: Nate Chandler
LG: Amini Silatolu
C: Ryan Kalil
RG: Trai Turner*
RT: Byron Bell

Offensive Overview: Much has been made of Carolina's weak wide receiver depth chart despite the fact that it's quite conceivable Cotchery (10 TDs in 2013) and 6-foot-5, 245-pound rookie Benjamin are upgrades on outgoingBrandon LaFell and 35-year-old Steve Smith. The worry should be up front, where LT Jordan Gross and LGTravelle Wharton's retirements have forced a reshuffling that may result in converted defensive tackle Chandler protecting Cam's blind side, a rookie starting at right guard, and liability Bell returning at right tackle. The backfield stable should improve with 27-year-old Jonathan Stewart finally healthy, even if 31-year-old Williams returns the likely starter. OC Mike Shula's 2013 offense finished 26th in total yards and 18th in points scored, and I wouldn't project the 2014 version to be much worse. I do think Carolina is at least one more offseason away from opening up its offense. In 2014, this will continue to be a ball-control group. 

RE: Greg Hardy
LE: Charles Johnson
NT: Colin Cole
DT: Star Lotulelei
MLB: Luke Kuechly
WLB: A.J. Klein
SLB: Thomas Davis
RCB: Melvin White
LCB: Antoine Cason*
FS: Thomas DeCoud*
SS: Roman Harper*

Defensive Overview: The foundation of Carolina's team, beyond Cam Newton, is its deep, talented front seven which was good enough last season for the Panthers to rank No. 2 in run defense, No. 6 against the pass, and No. 2 in points allowed despite a makeshift secondary that had to be reshaped this offseason. Hardy is a dominant edge player, and Johnson's versatility to rush from various angles is an ideal complement. Carolina is deep at end and tackle on down to 2013 second-round pick Kawann Short, a sophomore leap candidate. The linebackers are quick play diagnosers with sideline-to-sideline range. As GM Dave Gettleman attempts to clean up the salary cap mess left by Marty Hurney, he will lean on Newton and his young, stocked defensive front seven to keep the on-field product competitive. I do anticipate Carolina taking a 2014 step back, but not to the extent the public seems to foresee. I think they'll remain in the playoff hunt. 

Source: http://www.rotoworld...m-rankings?pg=3

Edited by beach, 15 July 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#2 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

The one thing to note is that Cole still has a big role on the interior DL (more so than Edwards).  I think that's been overlooked with how well Star and Short have been.

I think it's the most accurate roster prediction I've seen from any of the big sites....minus swapping Bell with G. Williams.

Edited by beach, 16 July 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#3 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

He certainly has done his homework. A lot is hinging on Chandler producing and Kelvin Benjamin at least being a 3rd down and redzone conversion threat. I don't see how our defense can regress outside of catastrophic injuries that would decimate any team short of the patriots.

#4 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Without a doubt the most realistic and well thought out breakdown from a big media outlet this offseason. Going 12-4 is never easy no matter how strong your roster is perceived to be. Chances are we will take some form of a step back, but theres no way we are irrelevant next year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#5 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

PFT is doing their rankings too.  They have made it to 14 and haven't mentioned us yet.

#6 KillaCamNewton

KillaCamNewton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

This is ridiculous. We finished tied for the 3rd best record in the entire NFL last year but losing a 35 year old receiver, a 4 foot 9 corner, and an aging left tackle now makes us a bottom half team? Makes zero sense

#7 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

This is ridiculous. We finished tied for the 3rd best record in the entire NFL last year but losing a 35 year old receiver, a 4 foot 9 corner, and an aging left tackle now makes us a bottom half team? Makes zero sense

A pro bowl left tackle. A position that's arguably the top 5 most important position on the field.

#8 Rise of The Hive

Rise of The Hive

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

We will prove the doubters wrong..

#9 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

I agree that pundits are overestimating the impact that losing Smitty and Gross is going to have. If anything, I think that losing less flashy role players like Mike Mitchel, Drayton Florence, and Quintin Mikell could be the difference if we take a step back. You don't have the 2nd best D in the league then lose 3/11ths of your starters, 4/12ths including Captain, and not miss a beat. Cason, Decoud and Harper might play well for us, but it'll be hard for them to build the chemistry the group last year had right away.

#10 caatfan

caatfan

full of it

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

... but losing a 35 year old receiver.....

Don't forget we lost our entire group of 'elite' WR's. All the drops and wrong routes were Cam's fault, since he's just a 3rd tier QB.

.... a 4 foot 9 corner ....

But Munnerlyn is now a 'sack master' though. Never mind that a blind CB could get sacks with our front seven. I'm sure Captain will flourish in the Vikings' 31st ranked D. Even though we tried to disguise it, the Vike's discovered he was the key to our 2nd ranked defense.   :lol:

#11 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

That analysis seems very fair to me...no complaints

Sent from my XT1049 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#12 Carolina Crazy V2

Carolina Crazy V2

!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

So he doesn't see us taking much of a step back, but......we are going from a top 5 team to outside the top 15?

#13 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

I agree that pundits are overestimating the impact that losing Smitty and Gross is going to have. If anything, I think that losing less flashy role players like Mike Mitchel, Drayton Florence, and Quintin Mikell could be the difference if we take a step back. You don't have the 2nd best D in the league then lose 3/11ths of your starters, 4/12ths including Captain, and not miss a beat. Cason, Decoud and Harper might play well for us, but it'll be hard for them to build the chemistry the group last year had right away.

Those guys were 1 year contract players. It's not like they were together for years and had time to gel.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

#14 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Those guys were 1 year contract players. It's not like they were together for years and had time to gel.

True, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the group we had last year was something special. I'm somewhat skeptical of Gettleman's method of bringing in these mercenary guys on one year deals. I get that it has been necessary due to our cap, but it's definitely not ideal.

That being said, I believe our roster is still on of the best in the league, and in time Cason and Decoud are going to look like absolute free agency steals. I think that there are going to be times though, when we find ourselves deeply missing the speed of guys like Ginn and Mitchell.

#15 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,647 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

With our losses and concerns this is fair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com