- - - - -

When Will Jeter Nut-Hugging End?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_14wlindsey_*

Guest_14wlindsey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

Jeter is one of the fifteen best of the last thirty or so years, but he is not one of the fifteen best players to ever play the game, particularly when you are also counting pitchers like Koufax.

Regardless, I do not care if Babe Ruth is in the box, there is no reason to groove one that could force you to travel for Game 7.

5x World Champion

Captain of the greatest team in sports

Will finish 5th or 6th all-time in hits

#17 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

5x World Champion

Captain of the greatest team in sports

Will finish 5th or 6th all-time in hits

None of that contradicts anything that I said.  I gave him credit, I said he was one of the fifteen best players of the last thirty years, but not top fifteen all-time.

Wagner, Cobb, Speaker, Ruth, Hornsby, Gehrig, Williams, Foxx, DiMaggio, Musial, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Henderson, Robinson, Schmidt, Morgan, Bench, Ripken, Bonds, Pujols

That is twenty-one off the top of my head and does not include pitchers (which you included in the original statement).  Adding pitchers:

Young, Mathewson, W. Johnson, Alexander, Gibson, Spahn, Koufax, Clemens, Maddux, Martinez, R. Johnson

At least eleven more.  I am sure that there are some I forgot as I just started at 1900 and did it from memory.  As I said, he is one of the top players of his time, but to put him in the top fifteen all-time, particularly when including pitchers, ignores a large chunk of history.

#18 Arroz con Panther

Arroz con Panther

• ALL-PRO
  • 197 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

It would be hard as hell to even narrow that list down to 15.  Let's say he's in the top 15 of shortstops.

#19 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

It would be hard as hell to even narrow that list down to 15. Let's say he's in the top 15 of shortstops.

that is certainly true, probably 3-5

Sent from my XT1049 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#20 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

How many years was Jeter even the best hitter on his own team? He was a good to great contact hitter who was generally surrounded by more dangerous hitters most of his career. Don't even start on defense where at his best was average.

i think its as much about his postseason heroics(3 something alltime postseason and .351 in world series).  

How bad can your defense be with 5 golden gloves?  Pretty sure he was adequate

#21 CarolinaSock

CarolinaSock

• ALL-PRO
  • 653 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

i think its as much about his postseason heroics(3 something alltime postseason and .351 in world series).

How bad can your defense be with 5 golden gloves? Pretty sure he was adequate

Check the metrics, at his very best he was borderline average. If they gave that award based on how good you actually were at fielding he would never have sniffed a gold glove. Fact is him playing on a winning team and being a good hitter clearly influenced the voting. There were some years where his fielding percentage was good but that was because he had one of the worse ranges in baseball for a shortstop. So he didn't get to a lot of balls others did and had to make spectacular plays on some that would be routine for a better shortstop. I don't think it's fair at all to use playoffs as a determining factor when comparing players. If Jeter had played for the Royals he never gets all those chances to be a hero.

Edited by CarolinaSock, 11 August 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#22 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

The hate is strong in this thread.

6th all time on the hit list. Not too shabby.

#23 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

Gold gloves are a terrible way to judge fielding. At least half (being kind) are garbage choices. Not a Meter thing, just people are clueless how to vote. It also at times seemed like the emmy nominations use to be once you got one you got them all.

Meter is one of the five best ss of all-time but he is also overrated for a variety of reasons, most notably because he is playing now.

Sent from my XT1049 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#24 Jimmy

Jimmy

Beer Me

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationOn A Mother F'ing Boat

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

The SACKO was created in the exact image of Jeter's nuts I believe. 

<obligatory The League reference>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com