Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So now Mike Mitchell is suddenly a top 10 safety

51 posts in this topic

Posted

He was a top 10 safety playing in our defense behind our front seven.  He was considered a bust in Oakland and that's why we were able to get him on a dirt cheap one year deal last year.

I wish we could've kept him, but I realize our defense made him look better than he is.  The actual player that he truly is is likely somewhere in between the bust that he was in Oakland and the borderline Pro Bowler he was last year in Carolina.  The Steelers bet heavily that it's a lot closer to the latter than the former.

3 people like this

Posted

Eh, he played well last season. Good for him, but you would think with 64 starters in the league he would have to prove it again before he was ranked top ten.

Posted

The best front 7 in the NFL didn't hurt.

1 person likes this

Posted

Should we really be surprised? They talk about Steve Smith as if we lost the '05 Triple crown winning Steve Smith.

2 people like this

Posted

I think a lot of it has to do with how much money he got in FA. Of course, that plus his production here which has already been mentioned.

Posted

He was a top 10 safety playing in our defense behind our front seven.  He was considered a bust in Oakland and that's why we were able to get him on a dirt cheap one year deal last year.

I wish we could've kept him, but I realize our defense made him look better than he is.  The actual player that he truly is is likely somewhere in between the bust that he was in Oakland and the borderline Pro Bowler he was last year in Carolina.  The Steelers bet heavily that it's a lot closer to the latter than the former.

I'm talking more about how he was some unknown guy until we let him walk.  Now he signs with probably the 2nd largest market in the NFL and he's suddenly the 8th best safety in the league.  It's just funny.  He probably would've been a top 5 safety had he signed with the Cowboys.

Like I said earlier, respect to Mike.  He was underrated last year and I wish we could've kept him and the intensity he brought to the defense and his locker room presence.

Posted

This place underrates Mitchell immensely. He came from fuging Oakland. fuging Oakland

4 people like this

Posted

This place underrates Mitchell immensely. He came from fuging Oakland. fuging Oakland

I love Mike, he quickly became one of my favorite players last season.  I'm one of the few that was actually talking about potentially how good of a signing it was last year when we got him from Oakland.  A lot never even gave him a chance.  The board consensus was mainly "bleh we got an Al Davis bust Raider's backup...".  I knew from watching that 2012 game against the Raiders he could be a good player when he was up in Cam's face all game long.  I seriously have no fuging clue how he was a backup for that team, because he was by far their biggest impact player during that game I thought.  Oakland Raiders for you I guess.

He'll be missed on the defense and in the locker room, but it wasn't until he signed with the Steelers he became nationally relevant.  No one talked about him when he was busting heads for us last year and having the great year that caused the Steelers to shell out the big bucks for him in the first place.

Posted

going off of last year and into this year, yes he probably is a top 10 safety.  the time spent in Oakland is irrelevant to these lists.

Posted

I remember a certain thread last year during preseason wondering if he would still even be on the roster by the end of the regular season.

Posted

also, there aren't many great safeties in this league, kind of an undervalued position and imo one of the least important on a defense if i had to rank all positions in the order of importance.