254 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,561 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

http://www.bbc.com/c...g-rich-worth-it

Unless you were born rich, at some point in your life you’ve probably dreamed about becoming wealthy.

You know, ridiculous wealth, winning-the-lottery kind of money, with visions of lifestyles of the rich and famous, mansions with manicured lawns and massive swimming pools, personal islands, expensive sports cars, private jets and, well, loads of extra money just to do whatever you’d like whenever you’d like to.

What happens to those lucky few people for whom dream becomes a reality? We turned to question-and-answer-site Quora for some advice on whether getting rich is worth it.

The downsides of being rich can outweigh the benefits. “The first thing you are thinking reading that, is, ‘cry me a river.’ You are not allowed to complain about anything, ever,” when you’re wealthy, wrote one anonymous respondent. “Since most people imagine being rich as nirvana, you are no longer allowed to have any human needs or frustrations in the public eye. Yet, you are still a human being, but most people don't treat you like one.”

Other downsides stretch to new parameters with friends and family. “Most people now want something out of you, and it can be harder to figure out whether someone is being nice to you because they like you, or they are being nice to you because of your money,” the anonymous respondent continued.  “If you aren't married yet, good luck trying to figure out (and/or always having self-doubt) about whether a partner is into you or your money.”

Yeah I think I would still take it.

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,527 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

if it's that bad you should just give it all away IMO

#3 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,983 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

I would like to take on the challenge of being wealthy then.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#4 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,020 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

I can't remember who this quote is attributed to but I always refer to this quote:

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it is a lot more comfortable crying in a Mercedes than on a bike"

#5 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,684 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Wealth also tends to bring out people’s true colours, added Paul Buchheit. “In general, it makes people more of whatever they already were,” he said. “If you're an a------, getting more money will probably make you more of an a------. However, if you have purpose and meaning in your life that goes beyond chasing the golden carrot, money can give you the freedom to focus on the things that truly matter to you.”

#6 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

Sometimes I look at the wealthy and just imagine how they would react if they woke up 1 morning and all the ATM's were down? I picture it as an opposite version of " the god's must be crazy". I don't look down on people becoming wealthy. But I cannot deny that most become dependent on their wealth, like having money is a survival skill. Mo' money, Mo' problems, right?

#7 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Seriously, shut up.

I get what they are saying but get over it.  There are bad problems, and then there are good problems.  Having to lose a little trust in people because you are now rich is a good problem, not being able to pay a bill because you don't have the funds, is a bad problem.   If I had millions I would keep myself busy with charities.  Not just handing over the money but get down there on the ground level.  Help build homes for Habitat for Humanity, etc. 

I'm with pstall; challenge accepted!

It just means the people you had before you got rich are that much more important to you.   Granted, I only have a handful of close friends and a little bit more of family, so if I won a big lottery I would definitely pay off their homes and help them out.  But new folks, probably not until I fully trusted.

But I'm the type of guy that is frugal and I just couldn't buy five Porches for no reason.  In fact, I wouldn't ever drive again and just keep a driver on the payroll and I'd ride in a nice, comfortable backseat to my destinations. 

****BONUS****

You can get in the Tinderbox and tell non-rich people they are lazy, uneducated, and just want a hand out!

Edited by Zaximus, 23 July 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#8 332nd

332nd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Sometimes I look at the wealthy and just imagine how they would react if they woke up 1 morning and all the ATM's were down? I picture it as an opposite version of " the god's must be crazy". I don't look down on people becoming wealthy. But I cannot deny that most become dependent on their wealth, like having money is a survival skill. Mo' money, Mo' problems, right?

I was thinking more along the lines of "A Day of Absence" but "The Gods Must be Crazy" works too. In my experience, most of that comes from those who suddenly became wealthy, (lottery, pro athletes, etc...) are self-made & have been wealthy for a while, & the first generation born into wealth.

Edited by 332nd, 23 July 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#9 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Seriously, shut up.

I get what they are saying but get over it.  There are bad problems, and then there are good problems.  Having to lose a little trust in people because you are now rich is a good problem, not being able to pay a bill because you don't have the funds, is a bad problem.   If I had millions I would keep myself busy with charities.  Not just handing over the money but get down there on the ground level.  Help build homes for Habitat for Humanity, etc. 

I'm with pstall; challenge accepted!

It just means the people you had before you got rich are that much more important to you.   Granted, I only have a handful of close friends and a little bit more of family, so if I won a big lottery I would definitely pay off their homes and help them out.  But new folks, probably not until I fully trusted.

But I'm the type of guy that is frugal and I just couldn't buy five Porches for no reason.  In fact, I wouldn't ever drive again and just keep a driver on the payroll and I'd ride in a nice, comfortable backseat to my destinations. 

****BONUS****

You can get in the Tinderbox and tell non-rich people they are lazy, uneducated, and just want a hand out!

I know a dude in Dunn that's loaded. He rides around town on a 1989 model John Deere riding mower! 

#10 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Also A problem is trusting the contracter not to boast about the sweet panic room you just purchased in case the 99 percenters want to Purge you and destroy your garage's elevator.

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,044 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

I think that to be happy and wealthy requires that the wealthy person ensure they do something meaningful with their lives.  Whether they do so by working hard in the family business, or in a charity or some other way of keeping focus doesn't really matter, but just sitting back and doing nothing of value all day would be depressing. 

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 23 July 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#12 Awesomeness!!

Awesomeness!!

BangBang

• HUDDLER
  • 5,399 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

I can't remember who this quote is attributed to but I always refer to this quote:

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it is a lot more comfortable crying in a Mercedes than on a bike"

Yeah and try paying your rent with a smile.

#13 lindseyjw14

lindseyjw14

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

You can only drive one supercar and bang one model at a time.

OH THE HORROR

#14 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,261 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

"Don't cry for me AlicejaAAAAAAAANDRAAAAAA"

Sent from my iPhizzle while pooping using CarolinaHizzle

#15 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

I have always wanted to become wealthy, but it goes beyond my dreams.  My parents poured all of their time into me and my two siblings.  Worked for themselves so they could make every practice and game we played in.  They don't have much, if any money, and I would love to be able to repay them by making their later years as comfortable as possible.

The three of us are successful and have great lives ahead of us because of them, I would just love to be able to give more back, as I took a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com