254 replies to this topic

#25 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Opportunity: your parents not kicking you out of the house and forcing you to also pay rent somewhere on top of everything

Point taken....that is definitely an opportunity that my parents afforded me.

It is sad and pathetic that a parent would kick their kid out of the house if they were working and going to college.  Now, if they had graduated school and decided that they were not going to school, that is another story.  If they were working a part time job and laying around the house all day or getting in trouble with their friends.....then I could see telling them to get on with their life and move out.

#26 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

The fact is that even if you get a good education and work hard, very few career choices are going to help you get "rich".  I'm sure obviously some will, but obviously EVERYONE can't choose those but yet we need people doing the other jobs too.  Then you have crap that comes up too, like medical expenses, deaths, etc. 

That is very true.  My point is that too many people (not all) just make the statement that life was not fair and they did not get opportunities....without doing whatever THEY CAN to make their opportunities.

#27 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Point taken....that is definitely an opportunity that my parents afforded me.

It is sad and pathetic that a parent would kick their kid out of the house if they were working and going to college. Now, if they had graduated school and decided that they were not going to school, that is another story. If they were working a part time job and laying around the house all day or getting in trouble with their friends.....then I could see telling them to get on with their life and move out.

Truthfully it is the philosophy of some parents that 18 means your kid needs to leave the nest, bottom line. I don't agree with it in a universal context but I've witnessed it.

#28 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Truthfully it is the philosophy of some parents that 18 means your kid needs to leave the nest, bottom line. I don't agree with it in a universal context but I've witnessed it.

I feel sorry for the kids who have parent's with that philosophy.  Having that attitude actually will set their kids up for a much harder life.  When the parent's value education that little, it usually rubs off on the kid.

My kids will know that they can live at home if they are getting an education.  However, they moment they would decide that an education was not for them and got a job, it would be time for them to break out on their own.  Both because they need to learn to be accountable for their own lives and decisions but also so that they can see quickly how difficult a life without an education and marketable skillset is.  Maybe, just maybe, that would help change their mind and get them back on that path of an educaiton and much easier life.

#29 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• LocationMatthews, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Yeah I feel like that is changing a bit, now with the job market the last few years and stuff, a lot of kids are staying at home even after college.  Granted a lot of that is choosing degrees that don't net you a job, period.  It's true there are a lot of terrible parents so people have a huge challenge from the get go.   Some people never even got to be a kid in the first place and then at 18 they get kicked out or whatever.

My parents let me sit around for about a year after high school some years ago, mainly because we were moving and my father was just getting over a very bad illness that almost took his life.  After that they told me I need to do something, go to some kind of trade/college school or get a job.  I ended up getting my degree and then getting a job a couple months later.  I had it pretty good and I admit it, I only even moved out when I got that job because I felt it was "time".  They didn't ask me to leave.  Hell they still try to pay for my wife and I's meals when we go out to eat, and they aren't rich or anything lol.

So I get that people have the cards stacked against them from the get go, my wife is one of those people.  When I have children I'd be happy to be AS GOOD as my parents have been.

#30 google larry davis

google larry davis

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

“Most people now want something out of you, and it can be harder to figure out whether someone is being nice to you because they like you, or they are being nice to you because of your money,”

yeah poor ppl don't have to worry about being exploi-hahahahaha.

also they have the added benefit of constantly having to worry about how they will afford life's basic necessities while the rich cry into handfuls of hundreds

#31 Awesomeness!!

Awesomeness!!

BangBang

• LocationArizona
HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

I knew this thread was going to turn into MH telling everybody else how his dumbass managed to make money, therefore everybody else should make money as well. I'll check back in 30 pages from now.

#32 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I would say most people can get rich, but it depends to an extent on how one lives and the choices you make with your life and money.  I think virtually any good paying job could make one rich by 35 or 40, but the choices can be extremely difficult.  Share a cheap house, ride the bus as much as possible, don't buy a cell phone, use the internet service and the computer at the library instead of buying your own,  etc... Of course, it also depends on one's definition of rich. 

I knew a guy in the Navy who did his 20 and retired with half a million or so in the bank in addition to his retirement pay.  Did it by socking about half his pay away in various investments for virtually the entire 20 years he was in.  Rarely left the ship or base, except on free or very cheap tours the ship would sometimes provide.  Not worth it to me, but he was wealthy and off of a military salary.   So basically having a miserable boring life might make you rich.  :)

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 23 July 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#33 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Quotation-Honore-De-Balzac-lies-great-fo

#34 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

Let's take a look at my "opportunities":

Neither of my parents were college graduates

My parents did not pay a penny of my college education

I worked 3 jobs (over 40 hrs a week to not have big school loans) and carried a full load

I chose a school where I could like at home to save on expenses

I chose a degree where it offered a good career opportunity

Please explain how I had all of these opportunities that you and others didn't.

You make the assertion that you just can't do it....I make the assertion that you can't do it without putting in the work and effort.

Plain and simple...I decided at a young age that an education was the answer to improving my life.  Not my fault that you didn't.

I could teach a class on cognitive biases with print outs of your posts replacing the text book.

#35 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

I'm going to go pout in my hovercraft

#36 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

“Having seen the entire gauntlet, I would say that getting comfortable is worth it. Getting rich is not.”

The article, btw, could be summed up by this one sentence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users