USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

How fugged up is this?

http://www.nytimes.c...ss&emc=rss&_r=0

FLORENCE, Ariz. — A condemned Arizona inmate gasped and snorted for more than an hour and a half during his execution Wednesday before he died in an episode sure to add to the scrutiny surrounding the death penalty in the U.S.

Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne's office said Joseph Rudolph Wood was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m., one hour and 57 minutes after the execution started.

Wood's lawyers had filed an emergency appeal with the U.S. Supreme Court while the execution was underway, demanding that it be stopped. The appeal said Wood was "gasping and snorting for more than an hour."

#2 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,008 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

It is obviously not a choice but if I were ever on death row I would want the guillotine.

#3 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Family members of the victims said they had no problems with the way the execution was carried out.

"This man conducted a horrific murder and you guys are going, let's worry about the drugs," said Richard Brown. "Why didn't they give him a bullet, why didn't we give him Drano?"

I'm so tired of these headlines. These people are the scum of the Earth and 2 hours of pain is nothing compared to what HE put the victim, and BOTH families though. I know its not going to happen but we need to take these people behind the courthouse and shoot them. Their families can claim their bodies and that will be the end of it. Enough.

#4 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

I'm so tired of these headlines. These people are the scum of the Earth and 2 hours of pain is nothing compared to what HE put the victim, and BOTH families though. I know its not going to happen but we need to take these people behind the courthouse and shoot them. Their families can claim their bodies and that will be the end of it. Enough.

Because, just maybe, we consider ourselves just a little more humane than the criminal?

Maybe we're just a step above the horrible monster he may be?

But, no. We're no better than they if this is the best we can do.

#5 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

Because, just maybe, we consider ourselves just a little more humane than the criminal?

Maybe we're just a step above the horrible monster he may be?

But, no. We're no better than they if this is the best we can do.

Prison isn't humane.

#6 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

it's not about whether or not the victim deserves to suffer (he does) but about whether or not it violates an ethical standard to stoop to depraved behavior for any reason (it does.)

#7 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Prison isn't humane.

Neither are the concession prices at BOA....

#8 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

After the events of 9/11 who here was against any military action because of ethical or moral standards. Raise your hands

#9 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

After the events of 9/11 who here was against any military action because of ethical or moral standards. Raise your hands

Just a tad bit of difference in the circumstances, don'cha think?

#10 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Most people will agree that Military action is appropriate in given situations (the aftermath of 9/11 for example) but about half of the country is against the death penalty for some reason. Clearly, the moral objections are thrown out of the window when our "National Security" is at risk.

This guy was a piece of poo and he should have been executed years ago. Of course, I'm talking about Osama Bin Laden.

#11 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Just a tad bit of difference in the circumstances, don'cha think?

Perhaps, but is there a number of people you have to kill before you "deserve" the death penalty? If the 9/11 hijackers had crashed into the Alabama Power headquarters in Birmingham would they not have warranted the same Military response? Either we are going to revenge the deaths of others, or we're not. 

Edited by Awesomeness!, 23 July 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#12 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

I served for 20 years, so I know a little about military actions. And I'm not against the death penalty, I simply believe the method of carrying out an execution needs to be final and certain.

#13 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

I served for 20 years, so I know a little about military actions. And I'm not against the death penalty, I simply believe the method of carrying out an execution needs to be final and certain.

Then we agree. We shall hold hands and skip off into the sunset/rise

#14 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

Had to re read OP, for a second, I thought those vile statements were from just another huddler against the Hobby Lobby management.

#15 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Paging Dr. Kevorkian.

Apparently he could do it right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com