With training camp in full swing and a day without practice today, I thought I would give you some thoughts on how the wide receivers are shaping up.
This projection will most likely change from week to week as the players rise and fall to the challenges presented to them. The players are divided to those who are on the team, who are on the bubble, and who are on the bus home.
On the Team
- Kelvin Benjamin - Obviously. KB has delivered better than expected and has the coaching staff very excited.
- Jerricho Cotchery - Also, meeting expectations. The veteran does all of the small things that make a well rounded player.
- Jason Avant - I like what I have seen out of Avant. Work ethic, team player, reliability to make the play.
- Brenton Bersin - Currently neck in neck with Underwood for that 4th spot. Bersin is this year's most improved player.
- Tiquan Underwood - Not as fast as expected, but still good enough to be on an NFL squad.
On the Bubble
- Marcus Lucas - A surprise undrafted free agent. He has the height to be a solid possession guy. Stay tuned.
- Tavarres King - His long touchdown catch yesterday over Robert Lester keeps him in the hunt.
- Kealoha Pilares - Never underestimate a coaches love for a hard nosed worker. Pilares is that.
- Philly Brown - Has an edge over others if he can prove his punt return skills. I am pulling for him.
On the Bus
- Marvin McNutt - Lots of drops. He stayed after practice yesterday practicing one handed grabs. He needs to improve.
- De'Andre Presley - It is hard to make an NFL team if you are on the exercise bike.
- Toney Clemmons - Has not stood out. Less of an upside than Lucas or King. Needs to step it up.
If the Panthers keep six wide outs, my best guess is that Philly Brown makes the team and Lucas makes the practice squad. This is based solely on the fact that Brown is more versatile in that he can return punts.
Again, this may change week to week, but that is how things look today.