Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina Panthers Wide Receiver Projections - Week 1

69 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Ginn is losing out to John Brown in Cards camp so I wouldn't quite say that. He brought important traits to the table no doubt.

Yeah from what I've read John Brown's having himself a camp

Posted · Report post

link?

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

There have been reports all over praising Brown but Ginn is probably their #3 given the contract.  They're no slouch with Fitz-Floyd-Ginn-Brown.  

Posted · Report post

Ginn is losing out to John Brown in Cards camp so I wouldn't quite say that.  He brought important traits to the table no doubt.  

Exactly, and people here are acting like we should have paid him 13 million to return punts and stretch the field occasionally.  I will miss that YAC burst and punt return burst, but like a lot teams do the Cardinals went out and overpaid.  Ginn wasn't even an afterthought for the 49ers the year before he came here.  They were letting un clutch drop a punt only when it matters Kyle Williams play over him.  He gets like 500 yards receiving here and he is worth that kind of money.  Its like Underwood said after practice on Monday.  I can see how working with Proehl can help a guy improve on yards and production.

Posted · Report post

Who will be the returner this year btw? Josh Cribss is sitting at home waiting for a phone call and could add depth at WR.

Posted · Report post

KB
Cotchery
Avant
Underwood
Pilares/Brown

I think special teams determines our last WR spot/s.

Posted · Report post

KB
Cotchery
Avant
Underwood
Pilares/Brown

I think special teams determines our last WR spot/s.

From what I saw the last 3 days of camp, Bersin is miles ahead of Underwood, Pilares and Brown. Brown will need to win the return job to make the roster. He's looked pretty bad in the receiving game and has even muffed some punts, so I think it's unlikely he'll be here come September.

Posted · Report post

I think we'll add another receiver not currently on the roster.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

My givens:

WR1/2-Benjamin

WR1/2-Cotchery 

WR3-Avant

Bubble for the 4th and 5 guy to have on the active roster:

Underwood v. Bersin v. Lucas v. King v. Pilares ---very close.  If DG and Rivera continue their trend with UFAs on the offensive side, it's no crazy to think Bersin or Lucas end up at that 5th spot.  

By that first game, I think the guys that will see the field the most would be KB, Cotchery, Avant, Olsen, & Dickson so the bulk of our offense is kinda set even though we've got some great competition going on.  

Posted · Report post

I think we'll add another receiver not currently on the roster.

And this really is a possibility during the preseason and cuts.  

Posted · Report post

1. KB
2. Cotchery
3. Avant
4. Underwood (because of his experience and production in actual games, he is placed over Bersin)
5. Bersin (redzone threat and reliable hands seem to be the pattern this year)
6. Pilares (I would love to put Marcus Lucas here, but we have some tall guys already. Assuming Dixon and Williams become part of the plan, which i believe they already are, our need isn't as great for another big man. Pilares grabs this spot due to familiarity and he can be a returner. Versatility wins out.

Posted · Report post

I attended camp Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  I paid special attention to the receiver corp.  Granted I did not have Tuesday's camp experience to go on and this is still early and I'm sure things will change but here are my thoughts.

My picks heading the class:

1) Benjamin - Showing out, catching everything possible and more.  So excited to see what he is doing.  I reluctantly picked him as Panthers 1st pick in the draft.  (Didn't want him then but had a feeling he would be there and based on who I thought would be left had a feeling it would be him.  Picked and thought the same about Star the year before.  That makes me 4 for 4 since Cam.)

2) Avant - RELIABLE HANDS that move the chains.  So glad we got this guy.

3) Crotchery - Routes, leadership and knows his role.

Guys I see making a statement in camp:

4) Pilares - Looks like he is catching everything thrown his way and making some good moves after the catch.  Having a great camp in my opinion.

5) Bersin - WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!  So impressed with his route running and making some tough catches in heavy traffic.  Good concentration catching the ball before trying to run with it.  Could become an outstanding possession reciever (Ricky Proehl anyone?).

6) Lucas - Just doing the right things.  Had to grab my roster several times saying "WHO IS THAT!?!?!"  Then I watched for his number in the rotation.  Doing a good job making blocks and getting off jams at the line of scrimmage.  He may be the dark horse in this race.

The rest of the bunch

7) Underwood - Making catches.  Seems the best of the rest but just not exciting me. (How in the world does his hair still stand straight up like that after taking his helmet off?)

8) King - Made one outstanding grab that stood out otherwise just average imo.

9) McNutt - Not doing enough to seperate himself from the mediocrity

10) Clemons - Who?

11) Brown - OK, this one I don't understand.  I'm hearing a lot of praise on this guy but it seems I've seen this one drop a lot of passes.  I MEAN A LOT!  Another thing I noticed was so many passes his way being so far off the make it makes me wonder about his timing and route running.

Something I need to do a better job of watching for is receivers doing their other very important role of blocking.  This is such an important skill that many of us forget.  This would be my biggest question for the rest of you huddlers that went to camp. Who stood out in this role?  I only noted Lucas for this because he had made some outstanding catches then noted who he was and his story and started watching him come to the line in the rotation.

When listening to the POD Cast and they mentioned that Underwood wasn't really showing that speed we hired him for.  I

think that makes him expendable. 

Pilares is that perfect slot receiver with the RB mentality.  He is our KO return man.

Bersin deserves the nod.  I have heard of one drop.  If he is getting open and making plays.   That is what you want. 

Why can't it be Lucas.   If he is making plays, why can't he be that UDFA that makes the team.

I have been on the Philly Brown bandwagon because of his punt return capabilities but I know we can't or won't keep 6 WRs so practice squad would be ok with me.

Posted · Report post

When listening to the POD Cast and they mentioned that Underwood wasn't really showing that speed we hired him for. I
think that makes him expendable.

Pilares is that perfect slot receiver with the RB mentality. He is our KO return man.
Bersin deserves the nod. I have heard of one drop. If he is getting open and making plays. That is what you want.
Why can't it be Lucas. If he is making plays, why can't he be that UDFA that makes the team.

I have been on the Philly Brown bandwagon because of his punt return capabilities but I know we can't or won't keep 6 WRs so practice squad would be ok with me.

Whatever Brown had going for him coming in may have been highlighted with upside accolades and potential filled games reel clips, but all I've seen is his iinability to catch a ball. I'm not a hater. Don't have a bias. Want the greatest for everyone in the Black and Blue. Just calling it the way I see it.