Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

Carolina Panthers Wide Receiver Projections - Week 1

69 posts in this topic

Pilares will be cut from the roster this season. Sorry, but he sucks.

KB

Cotchery

Avant

McNutt/King

Bersin

It's easy to make the argument that this group can be slightly better than last years because outside of Smitty last years group was non existent.

However this group needs to be ALOT better than last years. It's games against the elite D's like Seattle and SF that it was painfully obviously how poor our recievers were outside of Smitty. I remember watching the playoff game and seeing how exhausted Cam looked in the second quarter.

However I assume we'll run lots of 2 tight end sets with Dickson and Olsen to make up for the lack of recieving. Cam thrived in his rookie season with Shockey and Olsen. Now add KB on the outside and we got some monsters on the field. Really have high hopes for Dickson this season.

I don't like this argument. Seattle and the 9ers are top defenses for a reason. It's not like we got shutout. Everyone struggles against them minus a couple fluke games. That's why they were in the Super Bowl and NFC championship game.

Situationally we have to be better. Not fumbling the ball at the end of the game and getting a td on the 1 yard line. We beefed up the interior of the line.

I highly value height at the wide receiver position. Hopefully Underwood can be our speed guy.

Yup. I value height over speed in this offense because that is our style. Speed is great, but we are a ground and pound offense that values consistency in the routes and great hands. Big bodies that shield the defender for the conversion. If we were one of those teams that want to outscore their opponent instead of playing defense, then speed might be more of a priority

hate to say it but at this point, I dont see us missing Smitty this year.

It's early, players like Steve Smith don't come along every lifetime. He was the heart and soul of this team, the only player the crowd cheered louder for than Cam. He will be missed in some capacity, you can bank on that. Ray Lewis wasn't that good his last year, but ask anyone on that Ravens team how much they missed him.

I don't like this argument. Seattle and the 9ers are top defenses for a reason. It's not like we got shutout. Everyone struggles against them minus a couple fluke games. That's why they were in the Super Bowl and NFC championship game.

Situationally we have to be better. Not fumbling the ball at the end of the game and getting a td on the 1 yard line. We beefed up the interior of the line.

There's 2 ways to look at it

1. Like you said, situationally we have to be better.

2. Also, our WR's need to make plays throughout the game so we aren't put into situations like that. That first Seattle game, Ginn was the only wide out to register a catch and he only had 1.

hate to say it but at this point, I dont see us missing Smitty this year.

I think we'll miss his heart/passion

Might be the year we keep only 5 and use 3 tight ends

I think we'll miss his heart/passion

To be fair, it came with a downside.

You know that friend you really like a lot but who you have to walk on eggshells around because he's known to go off at the drop of a hat over the slightest thing?  Yeah, you like him and enjoy hanging around with him, but sometimes you're not exactly all that sad to say goodbye to him, maybe even a little relieved if you got by without some kind of blowup.

That's Smitty.  He was always a double-edged sword, and given his diminishing skills, the trade off is pretty even.

Little disappointed in Underwood. Ironically, the way things are shaping up Ted Ginn might have been our biggest WR loss. Going to miss his speed and return abilities.

Yea I thought we should have signed Ginn. 

There's 2 ways to look at it

1. Like you said, situationally we have to be better.

2. Also, our WR's need to make plays throughout the game so we aren't put into situations like that. That first Seattle game, Ginn was the only wide out to register a catch and he only had 1.

Against quite possibly the greatest secondary of all time. I'm not saying that's not bad. But these defenses are elite for a reason.

And notice we wiped out our entire wr corp in the offseason. But we were still in that game until the very end. Offensively we found a way to put ourselves on a position to win. Not many teams did that against the Seahawks offensively