Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should have known the law - or batpoo crazy DA?

58 posts in this topic

Posted

In October of 2013, a Pennsylvania resident named Shaneen Allen drove into New Jersey’s Atlantic County and was pulled over by police for an “unsafe lane change.” When the detaining officer arrived at her car window, Allen informed him that she was carrying a concealed firearm, and presented her Pennsylvania carry license as proof of eligibility. Unbeknownst to her at the time, however, was that New Jersey is among the 20 states that do not recognize Pennsylvania’s permit. In consequence, she was arrested. If convicted of the charges that the state has elected to bring, she will be locked in prison for up to a decade.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/383657/ordeal-shaneen-allen-editors

Goes onto discuss that the DA could have given her a misdemeanor or even a warning but is pursuing a felony charge with a three year mandatory minimum sentence. Prosecutors make careers out of going for the max. 

The governor ended up granting clemency in a similar case and could do the same here if she get's convicted

Posted

I normally don't advocate the defense of "ignorance of the law".  But, in this case she should have been given a misdemeanor at the most.

I think the cop did the right thing, but the DA seemed to have blown it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Meh everyone on all sides of the issue agree that firearms owners need to be more aware of their responsibilities as gun owners for lots of different reasons, and it's not like New Jersey is on the other side of the country - seems to me that PA owners would have known and complained about this for a while, especially since almost half the states in the country apparently don't honor PAs permit system for some reason.

Yeah the DA is looking for something, but there's no excuse for this woman to be ignorant of the law in this particular case.

Whats hilarious is the National Review trying to convince us of her being deserving of a lighter treatment on a gun offense based on the fact shes poor and works hard. And being black helps. HAHAHA

Posted

Well that's what you get for traveling to New Jersey. 

1 person likes this

Posted

She has a responsibility to know the law... but there should also be some leeway if she is otherwise a law abiding citizen and it's her first offense.

No reason to throw the book at her for a simple mistake.

2 people like this

Posted

Did she only use two wheels to make her "unsafe lane change"?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

If I were teaching the CC class, I would have made sure that everyone knows that PA's CC does not carry over to NJ's.

I would think it would be common sense to educate your students.

That said, the DA went overboard.

4 people like this

Posted

Her fault. She should know the laws of the state she is carrying in. She also shouldn't have said a fuging word about it.

3 people like this

Posted

I could see the DA making a big hit if she kept quiet but since she was above board and told the cop the deal the DA could have at least gave a warning or a light fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

3 people like this

Posted

Her fault. She should know the laws of the state she is carrying in. She also shouldn't have said a fuging word about it.

In NC I think you have to inform the officer by law. Not sure about NJ.

Posted

In NC I think you have to inform the officer by law. Not sure about NJ.

Duty to inform is accurate, IIRC.

1 person likes this

Posted

This is silly.  I'm ok with a fine, even a hefty one, so it doesn't happen again.  But years in prison?  Are you kidding me?   She didn't have intent obviously if she told the cop.   This is like when Plaxico went to jail for so long, granted he was being stupid but he got sent away because of license issues.   Putting a felony and jail time on someone's record in this case could actually push her to actually commit crimes because of a hard time getting a job, etc.  That is not the purpose of the system.