#16 Carolina Cajun

Carolina Cajun

Short Bus Allstar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Here's the thing I'll say on the matter.  Ray Rice is a turd, and I'm also not liking what I'm seeing coming out of the Hardy situation, but Smith has a point.  I've said many times, in some cases (not all obviously) I've seen or heard a woman acting like a man IE bowing up to the man, spitting, or even hitting a guy.  The guys who refuse to fight back, more power, but the second you start acting like a guy and want to be treated like a guy, don't be surprised when the guy comes back and fights you like a guy.  There is unto itself a double standard that I've seen, some women want to be able to do whatever they want and not expect any repurcussion.  Some women even use this to their advantage knowing that they can push the line further than any guy would be able to in some situations and knowing if the person on the other side would react they'd go to jail.  In this way, Smith is right, understand that the double standard doesn't and shouldn't exclude you in CERTAIN situations.  That said, domestic abuse is not cool and is very much a problem, and the cases in which I just described are usually the exception not the rule.  This is why it is important that the NFL should have been more stern with the Rice situation, and I feel is why when the hardy situation is said and done and the NFL rules, they will hammer him much more harshly than they did Rice.

#17 Mojo

Mojo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Could have been said better or not at all. But in my opnion did not warrant that long of a suspension.

He clearly was referring to some women who will get in your face, hit you etc...during an argument. There were reports that Ray Rice's wife spit on him and such. I'm not saying she deserved to get cold cocked but she's not this innocent dove just because she did. Has nothing to do with wearing a miniskirt, or whatever bs Michelle Beadle was saying. Could have been articulated better but I really don't think it warranted that long of a suspension.

The more glaring problem is the 2 game joke of a suspension handed down to Rice. Let's be real.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#18 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,575 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Stephen A admitted what he said was insanely dumb so not sure what there is to argue about.

Guy makes a good living by yelling dumb things and this time it actually got him in trouble.

Yeah, but it's like that age old question: Are you truly sorry for what you did, or are you just sorry that you got caught?

I am not saying that this makes him a bad person at all, but he had to have time to think before he spoke.  Stephen A is old and experienced enough to know that some things just shouldn't be said.  He may still believe that all day long, but he should have known that it would draw some fire if he actually came out with that take.

#19 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Ray Rice gets two days for knocking his wife out cold and Stephen A gets five days for making a tasteless comment. That's some poo....

Sent from my iPhone

2 weeks for Ray, and he'll lose more pay than Stephen A.

#20 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

No man, especially one with the size and strength of a NFL football player, should ever hit a woman unless he feels like his life is in danger. It honestly doesn't matter if the woman "acts like a dude". Just because she's out of her mind doesn't mean you can knock her out cold.

Sent from my iPhone

#21 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

2 weeks for Ray, and he'll lose more pay than Stephen A.

Two games is what's important - not the practice in between them.

Sent from my iPhone

#22 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Like I tell my son, it's OK to protect yourself of course, but you can usually restrain as opposed to beating the poo out of a woman in those instances. 

Ahh, but did Hardy beat the poo out of her in his case? There were no scratches on her when it actually happened. Ray Rice actually knocked the poo out of his fiancé. Literally. Hardy didn't do sh(t wrong.

#23 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Ahh, but did Hardy beat the poo out of her in his case? There were no scratches on her when it actually happened. Ray Rice actually knocked the poo out of his fiancé. Literally. Hardy didn't do sh(t wrong.

Well, that's why I haven't really said anything about the Hardy situation.  

Like I tell my son, "More than half of the battle is just keeping yourself out of certain situations."

#24 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

Well, that's why I haven't really said anything about the Hardy situation.

Like I tell my son, "More than half of the battle is just keeping yourself out of certain situations."

Just playing devil's advocate....isn't that what SAS was trying to say to women?

Sent from my iPhone

#25 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Just playing devil's advocate....isn't that what SAS was trying to say to women?

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, women would do well to to keep themselves out of certain situations as well.  

We live in a helluva world.  Someone up there monitoring the human race has to be shaking their head.

#26 setzer2030

setzer2030

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

When that debate show is on a major network they can do whatever they want if they feel their employee was out of line.

Sent from my iPhone

I guess so, but I just don't see the point of having a show based around debates and discussion where you are limited in what you can say.  I'm sure every person on this board has a conversation every day in which our opinions would leave someone shaking their head. It seems nothing can be said anymore unless you side with the victim. Anything else deems you a suspension, fine, or a firing. The only opinion you can have is the popular one. But hell, that's ESPN in a nutshell.  

#27 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

I guess so, but I just don't see the point of having a show based around debates and discussion where you are limited in what you can say.  I'm sure every person on this board has a conversation every day in which our opinions would leave someone shaking their head. It seems nothing can be said anymore unless you side with the victim. Anything else deems you a suspension, fine, or a firing. The only opinion you can have is the popular one. But hell, that's ESPN in a nutshell.  

You're right. It's really any big business. ESPN has many stakeholders to consider so they have an obligation to be politically correct. I get what he was trying to say, but it certainly could (and did) be misinterpreted. Not to mention the group that was offended were women.

He should have phrased it better, but he didn't deserve a week off.  

#28 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

TMZ caught up with SAS

http://www.sportsgri...at-the-airport/

#29 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

What fuging pisses me off the most is deadspin trashing him for a heartfelt apology.

I like deadspin sometimes but they are such a bunch of pompous, hypocritical, liberal fugs it makes me so mad.

I literally watched that and thought...wow this is one of the best apologies I've ever heard. I gained so much respect for SAS, and I already respected him a lot before because he's an accomplished, well educated and spoken journalist that is comfortable in his OWN SKIN (something many journalists can't do and it makes them fuging hacks)

What happens next? Suspension and trashed by deadspin

fug this country, man

Edited by PiratePanther189, 30 July 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#30 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

This isn't the first time Stephen A mentioned this line.  He talked about it during the whole thing with Chad Johnson headbutting his girlfriend or wife at the time.  I think the biggest difference between that time and this is Michelle Beadles comments, and the whole injustice of Rice getting the two game suspension.  This is probably not just within black culture or within black families, but I think a lot of black people automatically got the drift of what Stephen A was getting at.  Mostly not to hit a man and partly not getting in his face.  He should have clarified what he was talking about, and sadly they couldn't discuss it this past Monday.  People were offended with Stephen A's talk concerning racism and probably his comments on Tony Dungy, so I have a problem with ESPN not allowing this debate to continue Monday.  I can't see First Take anymore in the same way after this incident and cover up.

Edited by Matthias, 30 July 2014 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com