Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Panthers will support RFID tags in shoulder pads, real-time player position data

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dugbug

dugbug

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

http://arstechnica.c...wear-rfid-tags/

These teams are participating this season:

Atlanta, Baltimore, Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, New Orleans, Oakland, San Francisco, St. Louis, and Washington

Teams will not be given access during the game for competition reasons, but think of all the in-game app trackers and statistics.  Some info from the article:

For the football nerd, it's a bonanza of sorts, possibly changing fantasy football and morning-after box scores forever. Zebra said the technology, known as "Next Gen Stats," will track player acceleration rates, top speed, length of runs, and even how much separation a ball carrier got from a defender. It's not just a Pandora's box of stats for fans and broadcasters, as coaches can immediately employ the data to decide what plays to run or how to defend them.

#2 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,439 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

#3 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,407 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

4e3f66a0b0c86b7117800782d597a089e7af7373

#4 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Atlanta, Baltimore, Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, New Orleans, Oakland, San Francisco, St. Louis, and Washington

Teams will not be given access during the game for competition reasons, but think of all the in-game app trackers and statistics.  Some info from the article:

So RFIDs in shoulder pads, but not in the ball for accurate spots, or close goal line calls. Interesting.

#5 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,407 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

So RFIDs in shoulder pads, but not in the ball for accurate spots, or close goal line calls. Interesting.

The article said it wasn't accurate enough yet.

#6 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

I see that now. My bad. I didn't read the end of the article.

#7 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

I think we'll get an awesome look into how Cam goes when the pocket collapses and he has to run 70 yards to pick up another first down. I'm excited to see the NFL use updates technology.

#8 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Belichick will make some kid a millionaire to send him the access during games.

#9 dugbug

dugbug

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

As an aside I was going to write an extensive panthers iphone app for watching/tracking games but got stuck trying to license the real-time data.  This effectively removes the labor involved in digitizing a game's stats.  I wonder how fast prices will drop, because I sure would love to get back to that labor of love.

#10 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,407 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

As an aside I was going to write an extensive panthers iphone app for watching/tracking games but got stuck trying to license the real-time data.  This effectively removes the labor involved in digitizing a game's stats.  I wonder how fast prices will drop, because I sure would love to get back to that labor of love.

Yeah, I always see the iPhone as more of a Patriots/Broncos/Seahawks thing. It's trendy seems like everyone else is doing it. But my phone would be able to read Luke's tags.

#11 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,944 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Meh. The "distance traveled" thing they did during the World Cup was cool for about one minute. I can't see this being interesting past the first game.

#12 dugbug

dugbug

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Meh. The "distance traveled" thing they did during the World Cup was cool for about one minute. I can't see this being interesting past the first game.

This is not about providing end-users with fun stats.

Right now humans have to rapidly compile all stats live during a broadcast: who caught the ball and how many yards were ran, who sacked qb, who intercepted, etc.  Software can now in real time put names to the players in the back-data statistical compilation teams and really cut down not only on mistakes but hopefully the labor.   Some facial recognition stuff is in play but its not that good as I understand (it can lock onto player #s if visible I believe).

Countless times I would be tracking a game using Yahoo's sports app and see all kinds of stuff get corrected after a long delay (like a -25 yard play by Cam suddenly becomes the correct 25 yard play).

#13 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

Upon reviewing Jonathan Stewart's data...

rider_anatomy_tab1.png

#14 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hopefully it will help them locate Bree's nads after CJ, Hardy and company bury them in the turf.  Jackie Miles can mail them back to the Slumzone

Thats all I got.

#15 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Meh. Seems like it'll provide more useless information on the field that doesn't actually tell us about the game on the field but people will vehemently use to support arguments. Think 40 times but all year round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com