cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

One reason why not.

Soccer sucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

At least it took 13 posts before this one happened. I expected it would show up much sooner.

I'd say that's progress.

#17 FuFuLamePoo

FuFuLamePoo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Not that they are huge draws, but you already have the Hounds and Knights downtown in the summer drawing about 15000 combined (I don't know the actual figures) and thus taking away a potential 15000 tickets from the MLS team. Bring the MLS team in and all of a sudden they will start drawing away potential customers from the Hounds and Knights which could put those two franchises in jeopardy.

Bringing in an EPL team for an event unlike Charlotte has ever seen is one thing, bringing in an MLS expansion team is quite another. I'm willing to be 75% of the crowd was from over an hour away from Charlotte, and many of them were probably Liverpool or Milan fans from around the entire U.S.

Like I said in the match thread, if you're going to give the Carolinas a soccer team, put it somewhere in the Triangle where they can draw from the Triad and Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill with only the Durham Bulls as local sports competition in the summer.

It wouldn't be hard to schedule the MLS home games when the Knights aren't home.  And nobody cares about the Hounds.  I agree the triangle would be a better spot, but my Charlotte bias wants the team here.  Here's an idea.  What if the team played half their home games in Charlotte and half in the triangle?

It's also important to remember MLS fans and baseball fans are completely different crowds.  Whereas a lot of MLS fans aren't baseball fans, and a lot of baseball fans won't be MLS fans.

#18 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,326 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

I think it would be a good idea.  I supposed they could play at the new UNCC stadium.  That would be perfect.  A lot of young kids around Charlotte are into soccer pretty big time.  I think it would do well.

#19 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,126 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

At least it took 13 posts before this one happened. I expected it would show up much sooner.

I'd say that's progress.

I'll make sure to add that in after every soccer post. 

#20 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

It wouldn't be hard to schedule the MLS home games when the Knights aren't home. And nobody cares about the Hounds. I agree the triangle would be a better spot, but my Charlotte bias wants the team here. Here's an idea. What if the team played half their home games in Charlotte and half in the triangle?

It's also important to remember MLS fans and baseball fans are completely different crowds. Whereas a lot of MLS fans aren't baseball fans, and a lot of baseball fans won't be MLS fans.

My reason for including that is you're taking away POTENTIAL ticket holders, not necessarily that everyone will convert to soccer fans. The Hornets don't play at home at the same time the Panthers are at home for this same reason and vice versa, this is just on a much smaller niche scale.

To your point about the local barnstorming of the team, that has been done before. The Carolina Cougars thought they could build the fanbase across the state by moving games between Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh but that's what led to their demise. The Kansas City Kings did this with Omaha, NE when they were in trouble and they ended up in Sacramento. And the Hurricanes started in Greensboro temporarily but because everyone knew theywere waiting on Raleighs arena to be built, nobody showed up. The Toronto deal with the Bills has been a flop.

Tl, dr: good idea in theory but history shows it doesn't work.

#21 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

I'd say that's progress.

I'd say you'd see it sooner in a Nascar thread but they never reach 13 posts anyway.

#22 djp14

djp14

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

It's not the lack of nickname that's the problem. It's copying European club names rather than making distinctly American ones. Nobody here really calls soccer 'Football', so call teams 'FC'? Unique names are better than copped European names.

Yep. I cringe when I hear names like "Real Salt Lake" and "Orlando City."

#23 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,432 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

One reason why not.

Soccer sucks.

Come on JOAT...you were giving someone else a hard time for making the same post about NASCAR in the TS thread.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by RoaringRiot, 12 August 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#24 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,126 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'd say you'd see it sooner in a Nascar thread but they never reach 13 posts anyway.

If you kill someone that thread gets 200 replies

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#25 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,791 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

One reason why not.

Soccer sucks.

You just had your panties in a bunch over someone saying the same thing about Nascar. You turn around and do the same about soccer. Classic.

#26 djp14

djp14

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

Queen City Soccer Club LLC, the new Charlotte USL Pro Soccer franchise ownership group, is planning a major announcement regarding the return of professional soccer to historic American Legion Memorial Stadium starting in the Spring of ’15. To celebrate this historic occasion, we invite you to toast the team with representatives of the new ownership group at a rally starting at 6:30pm at Courtyard Hooligans Pub on Wednesday, September 17. In addition to fun, camaraderie and cold beer, we will be announcing the new team's name, details around a fan contest to choose the newly named team’s logo/identity, and giving information on how to secure tickets for the upcoming 2015 season. Don’t miss the fun!

#27 FuFuLamePoo

FuFuLamePoo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

so is this a whole new team separate to the charlotte eagles?

#28 djp14

djp14

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Yes. The Eagles are dropping to a lower league.

http://pdl.uslsoccer.com

#29 Third Degree

Third Degree

All we do is win

• HUDDLER
  • 4,703 posts
  • Location704

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Dale%2BEarnhardt%2BJr%2BNASCAR%2BSprint%

#30 FuFuLamePoo

FuFuLamePoo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yes. The Eagles are dropping to a lower league.

http://pdl.uslsoccer.com

dope.  so is there any chance of this new team becoming MLS in the future?

It would also be pretty trill if they could get all the teams games broadcasted locally, that would be a massive step 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com