• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#16 Vagrant

Vagrant

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

I like this deal for both sides. Well truthfully I hate it because it makes Cleveland stronger, but in terms of each team's individual goals it makes sense. With Love, James, and Irving you have another big three created. Love is a better post player than Bosh ever was and a better traditional PF with rebounding skills. Irving is a more traditional PG and I think with having more natural scorers on the team he's going to be able to spread the ball around more and not rely so much on his ability to create his own shots. I think, as much as Wade was better than Irving at the time LeBron signed with the Heat, this is a better trio from an on paper standpoint. Nobody having to play out of position and guys with more traditional roles. LeBron gets his first star big to play with, as Bosh is/was that hybrid kind of big that isn't exceptional under the rim and with his back to the basket like Love. That's going to be a dangerous addition in set offense. Not only will this team be able to run the break, but having the ability with two shot creators like Irving and LeBron in sets to free up Love is going to be formidable.

The haul for the Wolves is fantastic. Kevin Love wasn't going to sign there. Everybody knew that. The fact that they can get two first overall picks with tremendous upside is great. Plus the story of reuniting the Canadian prep stars is a good look for Minnesota being a state that borders Ontario and Manitoba. It's going to be interesting to see how much that impacts the Wolves presence in Canada. If anything makes it easier to lose Love from an immediate competition standpoint, it's the growth that the fanbase might have from adding the Canadian element.

Overall it's a move that makes sense for both sides. Cleveland is not going to "waste" their window of LeBron while waiting for the young kids to ripen up to be ready to compete and Minnesota gets that opportunity to have an instant rebuild. It's a pretty ideal situation for both sides. It made too much sense not to happen.

#17 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Great deal for both teams.

Love is overrated tho: no D.

#18 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

"Kevin Love Has "Firm Agreement" He'll Sign a 5-year, $120 Million Deal with Cavaliers"

Who you quoting? ;)

#19 robillionaire

robillionaire

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Good deal for both teams, Cavs are in "win now" mode, and Wolves get to build for the future and get rid of a guy who was on his way out the door anyway. Barring freak injuries the Cavs seem like they should be a lock to make it to the finals. Chicago if Rose stays healthy may be their only competition.

I agree that Love is overrated and a stat padder though.

#20 topher mcg

topher mcg

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales, UK

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

i'll be really interested to see what the cleveland starting five will be come opening night. i imagine Irving/Waiters/Lebron/Thompson/Love?... there's so little defence there lol. plus it doesnt seem the most durable team in the world. love has played 60 games or less in 3/6 seasons and irving less than 60 in 2/3 seasons.

i like love and think he's a good player, but he isnt worth a max contract when he's injured. 

if both get injured at the same time, a team of Dellavedova/Waiters/James Jones/Lebron/Varejao doesnt quite seem so imposing. 

#21 Chuckie

Chuckie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

I can't wait for this to blow up in Cleveland's face. In a perfect world, Lebron breaks a hip and Wiggins turns into an elite player.

#22 Omega Atrocity

Omega Atrocity

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Irving

Waiters

James

Love

Varejao

That's 4 players that really need the ball in their hands a lot, with 1 awful defender in Irving, 1 sub-par defender in Love, and 1 incredibly uncaring defender in Waiters. James is a solid defender, and Varejao is a pretty good defensive center with a lot of injury history. I honestly don't see this lineup being a 100% win.

#23 Chuckie

Chuckie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

Don't worry if they don't win Lebron will bitch and complain about not having the tools to win. I guess everyone should overlook that he is responsible for how this team is put together by his own doing.

#24 JJman

JJman

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

East is probably gonna be

Cavs
Bulls
Raptors
Hornets
Wizards
Heat
Hawks
Pacers

With the Knicks and Nets just missing the playoffs

#25 JJman

JJman

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Cavs defense is gonna be pretty bad but they will be a lethal and versatile offensive team

#26 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

I think Bennett and wiggins will be stars. Depth is better to have than one star in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#27 Cheek

Cheek

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

I think Bennett and wiggins will be stars. Depth is better to have than one star in my opinion.

What makes you think Bennett will be a star? He had one of the worst rookie performances from a number 1 overall pick in NBA history. I'm not saying he can't develop into a decent player, but he's not going to be a star.

#28 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

What makes you think Bennett will be a star? He had one of the worst rookie performances from a number 1 overall pick in NBA history. I'm not saying he can't develop into a decent player, but he's not going to be a star.

Rookie year. He lost weight and had a great summer league. Sometimes players take time to develop. I'm not saying it will be this year but I could see him being an above average player and maybe end up a top 10 PF in the league.

#29 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

It will definitely be interesting to see whether Dan Gilbert is willing to go into the luxury tax for multiple years to keep this team together.  There is nothing in the rulebook to keep them from resigning guys like Thompson and Waiters, but the only team willing to go deep into the luxury tax since the new CBA was signed has been the Nets.  Even the Heat owner traded away Mike Miller to stay under the tax last year.

If they are able to keep everyone together, that is gonna be a really great core to build around.  Kyrie- Waiters- Lebron- Love- Varejo- Thompson is a very strong 6 guys, throw in a few vets every year who will sign for cheap and that team could be a title contender for years. 

As for the trade- Cavs gave up way too much.  I understand giving up Wiggins is probably the only way to get it done, but giving up Bennett is rough, and giving up a 1st with them is just silly.  You're gonna need those 1sts to try and find some cheap role players going forward

#30 ThinkAboutIt

ThinkAboutIt

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

I'm not all that high on Wiggins. He can be explosive athletically, but his movements aren't fluid enough for me to think he'll end up being what many think he will be. I do agree that Minnesota has an intriguing team now, with a young nucleus of Rubio, Lavine, Wiggins, and Bennet. If those guys develop anywhere close to their potential, Minnesota could be contending in a few years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users