39 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Carolina Panthers rookie defensive end Kony Ealy has had mixed reviews in camp.

Ealy spent the first week looking out of place, unable to match up well against even the third string offensive line. Since then, Ealy has made progress.

Progress is exactly what you want to see from a rookie.

I asked Head Coach Ron Rivera his thoughts on Ealy's performance.

"I thought Kony showed up" Rivera said. "He applied some pressure on the outside. He a did nice job of getting in the fold on the bootleg. Made a couple nice knifing tackles on some runs. He made some mistakes obviously that will get corrected, but he showed why we drafted him."

"I'm very pleased of the effort we got from him today." Rivera added.

Panthers-Bills-30.jpg

Defensive ends rarely make an impact their rookie season. Starting veterans Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy also went through transitional periods from the college ranks to the pros. It is expected.

What coaches are looking for from Ealy is progress and the occasional flash of what he can grow to be. In this regard, Ealy is showing exactly what the coaches want to see.

"It's been a tough battle for him just getting used to the way we do things." Rivera remarked. "He came through for us today."

Ron Rivera was not the only one who noticed the improvements Ealy showed on Friday night.

As Ealy came off the field after showing real effort in a goal line defensive stand, Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis was sure to let Ealy know his efforts were noticed.

Panthers-Bills-48.jpg

If Kony Ealy's play was good enough for Thomas Davis's attention, it should most certainly be good enough for yours.

#2 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

I noticed that he was in the picture a lot, good contain, etc. but the thing I noticed most was his enthusiasm.  He was getting into it.  Love it.   If this continues, and we continue to get results from KB and Turner (TNT, heard it here first), I will punch the person who disses Gettlemen right in the mouth.  The fact that it takes DEs a bit of time to develop is one reason we took Ealy this year and not when he was a need. 

#3 Jmac

Jmac

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationAsheville NC

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

Give the kid a year, some bulk and strength training and he will be fine..he needs to be when we decide on the DE's next season

#4 Right Hand Arm Man

Right Hand Arm Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFlailing my way through Life

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Great pictures as usual Zod !

#5 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,668 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

If Kony Ealy's play was good enough for Thomas Davis's attention, it should most certainly be good enough for yours.

But I'm a fan on an Internet message board!

I have higher standards than the people who actually do the job :unsure:

#6 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,727 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Maybe he will be good in a couple seasons and 15 more lbs.  I would not read a ton into a coaches good words for a second rounder.  Doubt he would slam the kid on the first preseason game.

Hope he comes along

#7 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

as long as carolina can keep the psycho white chick away from him, he should be good.

#8 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Ealy made at least 3 impact plays. thats very good for a rook. if you didnt see how disruptive he was (without getting the sacks) then i dont know who you were watching. 

#9 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,483 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Zod, so you get to ask questions during the press conference?

#10 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

But I'm a fan on an Internet message board!

I have higher standards than the people who actually do the job :unsure:

yeah, and Gettlemen sucks!

#11 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

Any comments a coach makes before watching film is to be taken with a grain of salt--however, in this situation, Ealy played most of the game (so did Turner).  I have to think RR was focusing on Ealy when he was on the field.

Edited by MHS831, 09 August 2014 - 08:32 AM.

#12 lola

lola

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

He's lucky that he is on a team with such talented, hardworking, stand-up guys like Thomas and Luke, CJ. Guys that lead by example. Ealy will benefit from this on and off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#13 French Navy

French Navy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationKing of the world, on a boat like Leo

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Ealy made at least 3 impact plays. thats very good for a rook. if you didnt see how disruptive he was (without getting the sacks) then i dont know who you were watching. 

Agree with this, Ealy was flashing on defensive. Looked the part. Usually it's the opposite - look good in training, bad in games. 

#14 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,942 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

After watching him last night, I significantly cooled down about his camp outings. He appeared like your standard rookie DE in his debut but he also made an impact on 4-5 plays so I'll take it.

Edited by Promethean Forerunner, 09 August 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#15 BuffaloBills62

BuffaloBills62

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

The Bills had plenty of holes at OL last night.  It was good watching 7th rounder Henderson survive, but without our starting LG and with questions still with who starts I fear the OL might not have time to gel.

Ealy took advantage of timing on every snap.  He quickly beat his man to the first two or three steps and then gained leverage every single time until he either out positioned his opponent or was overpowered.  It will not be long until his strength catches up with the rest of him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL, Kony Ealy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com