34 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

As you all know, Peter King recently published an article where he discussed the maturation of Cam Newton. After spending time interviewing Luke Kuechly on the record one on one, King decided to write about an off the record discussion centered on Cam Newton.

It recently occurred to me that Peter King completely missed the opportunity to discuss an actual maturation example in a player. That player is Luke Kuechly.

What? Luke Kuechly has matured? Hasn't he always been a mature player? Well, yes and no.

For some players maturation means developing into a quality starter. For others, it means developing into a team leader.

In 2012, Luke Kuechly came into the league as "pro ready" as any college player could be. Still, he was a rookie, and rookies need mentors. Former Panthers middle linebacker Jon Beason was that mentor for Luke. Beason, who missed most of the season due to injury, took the time to mentor his eventual replacement. In fact, Panthers fans should thank Beason for not only his play on the field, but also the accelerated development of Kuechly. During Luke's rookie season, Beason predicted to me that Kuechly would be a great player in this league.

jon-beason-coach.jpg

Fast forward to 2014, the student is now the teacher. During the Friday night Bills preseason game, Luke was coaching up his crew on the sidelines well into the 4th quarter.

luke-kuechly-1.jpg

Kuechly has developed his own unique leadership style, different from Jon Beason's but just as effective.

Panthers linebacker Chase Blackburn recently described it.

"Fantastic. Quiet most of the time, but when it comes time to talk his words are powerful because he talks so little" Blackburn remarked. "He leads with his play. How he practices, how he prepares, and how he plays the game."

Kuechly has become the leader that every franchise in the league would love to have. Quiet but powerful, leading by example. These are the leaders that make every player around them better.

Now that is an actual maturation of a player worthy of discussion.

#2 Panther_Brotherhood

Panther_Brotherhood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Great pictures for comparison. Seeing Luke become the General he is has been fun and exciting

#3 MV%doe

MV%doe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Luke is a coaches/owner/gms dream of a player. I like the fact he's so quiet/reserve off field but a shiit talking speed demon manbeast between the white lines.

#4 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Kuechly is basically the MLB version of what everybody said Andrew Luck was gonna be at QB coming into the NFL and the funny thing about it is that, at the time, I hated the pick because we already had Beason and DT was the biggest weakness on the team.

Thank God I'm not a GM.

Edited by PantherWake, 10 August 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#5 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

Kuechly is basically the MLB version of what everybody said Andrew Luck was gonna be at QB coming into the NFL

True

#6 caatfan

caatfan

full of it

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Let's hope Luke has a long career and his locker is always in Charlotte. He's well on the way to being the most popular Panther ever.

#7 lola

lola

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

I'm so proud to have such high caliber individuals on this team. Luke makes everyone around him better. How can you not want to play hard for someone who gives his all for the team all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#8 Carolina Crazy V2

Carolina Crazy V2

!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm embarrassed, but at the same time feel obligated to say, that I originally read this title wrong and was incredibly confused. 

#9 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

My boy

#10 iBBB

iBBB

no more maybe next year.

• ALL-PRO
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm embarrassed, but at the same time feel obligated to say, that I originally read this title wrong and was incredibly confused. 

haha, had to go back on top and reread the title to see what you mean. that would be confusing at a glance lol

#11 lola

lola

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Luke is a coaches/owner/gms dream of a player. I like the fact he's so quiet/reserve off field but a shiit talking speed demon manbeast between the white lines.

This is how I am going to refer to him from here on out. Eggggggcellent.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#12 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,485 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

We should probly draft a stronger hunk of a man next year.. You know, one that actually excites the ladies.

#13 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,724 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Sounds a lot like me. Me and Luke are carbon copies of one another. Looks, muscles, smarts. Hell, I'm his twin brother.

#14 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

I think you can best sum it up as such.

Luke 2012: Sweaty

Luke 2014: Not a drop of sweat on him

#15 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

That would certainly generate traffic though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, Luke Kuechly, NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com