#1 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

So i've been seeing this "rape culture" term floating around over the last couple months, and i'm not sure what to think of it. The feminists in particular have been slinging it around seemingly more than others, while decrying on those like myself who question it. Maybe i'm naïve, but is "rape culture" really a thing? It's been proclaimed that something like half of all women will get raped by the time they finish college. Can this possibly be true? I find this highly unlikely, so much to the point when I first came across this term it had really taken me aback. My natural reaction was that this was just another media ploy to further alienate the public from itself.  Another thing I saw lately that ties into this was an article on men masturbating at woman in public, which they say is something all women have to deal with at least once a year. This is just craziness to me, and I call BS.

What do you guys think?

Edited by venom, 11 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#2 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Oh those feminists. Forever thinking women are creatures that are just as human as men.

#3 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

that the vast majority of women get raped numerous times in their lives.

I'm curious where you read this - most of what I read touts numbers like 60% of women saying they've been sexually harassed, or one in four women have been raped or attempted rape.  Also things like one in five reporting being sexually assaulted.  These numbers come from different sources so there is variation, but the theme is true: this country has a sexual assault problem. 

#4 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'm curious where you read this - most of what I read touts numbers like 60% of women saying they've been sexually harassed, or one in four women have been raped or attempted rape.  Also things like one in five reporting being sexually assaulted.  These numbers come from different sources so there is variation, but the theme is true: this country has a sexual assault problem. 

Twas a facebook quote. Notice I fixed it though (with another probably inaccurate facebook quote, haha)

#5 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

but the theme is true: this country has a sexual assault problem. 

If true, I blame it on pop-culture

#6 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

So, you solved your own thread? Good for you.

#7 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

I have heard from legitimate sources that half of all women experience some sort of sexual assault by the time they finish college, but I would be very surprised by rape.

#8 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

this is a large part of what is referred to by "rape culture" I think

#9 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

So, you solved your own thread? Good for you.

Huh?

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

#11 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

"In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming 'rape culture' for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campuses. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important to not lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime."

Statement from RAINN

The Rape Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#12 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

I don't think anyone using the term "rape culture" is attempting to imply individuals lose agency due to it, but instead, indicate that as a culture we may be too permissive of behaviors that lead to rape and sexual violence.  The idea that cultural factors do not influence our decision making is preposterious, but that doesn't mean that we lose all responsibility for our actions just because of those circumstances.

edit: to elaborate, I'm pretty sure references to rape culture is more that it allows rapists to continue to operate with impunity, as opposed to saying that our culture causes people to rape.

Edited by mav1234, 11 August 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#13 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

I don't think anyone using the term "rape culture" is attempting to imply individuals lose agency due to it, but instead, indicate that as a culture we may be too permissive of behaviors that lead to rape and sexual violence. The idea that cultural factors do not influence our decision making is preposterious, but that doesn't mean that we lose all responsibility for our actions just because of those circumstances.

edit: to elaborate, I'm pretty sure references to rape culture is more that it allows rapists to continue to operate with impunity, as opposed to saying that our culture causes people to rape.

Yeah I don't agree with that.

I think as a society we can agree rape is horrible and no one in their right mind stands for rape. Rapist rape because they are terrible people. Not because we allow them to get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#14 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,969 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

I have heard from legitimate sources that half of all women experience some sort of sexual assault by the time they finish college, but I would be very surprised by rape.

Took my son to orientation at NC State a few weeks back and they did some presentations and that was the figure they used... 50% of college aged women are sexually assaulted by the time they leave college.

#15 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,797 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

Can this possibly be true? I find this highly unlikely,

there's a first time for everything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users