Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whomever loses the left tackle battle...

40 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

...will probably start at right tackle.

I'd rather they didn't.

My choice would be to make the guy who doesn't win the position the backup. Sign somebody else to play right tackle.

I don't expect the team to go that route, but I wish they would.
5 people like this

Posted · Report post

Disagree.

The two best tackles on the team are Bell and Chandler. Bell is a veteran RT and Chandler has had plenty of snaps at RT this off-season.

Garry Williams is a big step down, and signing someone to come in and start immediately having developed zero chemistry with the line is trouble.

That said, I would like them to sign an OT to push the starter into mid season and then let it play out.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app
6 people like this

Posted · Report post

we are kind of down a path with chandler and bell... whos available that you would start over these guys?

Posted · Report post

Disagree.

The two best tackles on the team are Bell and Chandler. Bell is a veteran RT and Chandler has had plenty of snaps at RT this off-season.

Garry Williams is a big step down, and signing someone to come in and start immediately having developed zero chemistry with the line is trouble.

That said, I would like them to sign an OT to push the starter into mid season and then let it play out.

I don't dispute their being the best on the roster right now.

I'm also not of the belief that a quality left tackle will be available via cut or trade.

But I do believe a right tackle that's at least something of an upgrade could be.

If not...

Posted · Report post

we are kind of down a path with chandler and bell... whos available that you would start over these guys?

Right now? No one.

Come final cuts though, someone might be.

Posted · Report post

I think that there will be someone better than those two available after cuts. Not saying they're going to be world beaters, obviously, but they would be good enough to beat out Bell/Chandler given a fair shake at it.

Posted · Report post

I'd be interested in seeing last years cuts and how many tackles were picked up right away into a starting spot. Of course, thats far too much work for me to dig around for.... :)

Posted · Report post

why don't we give bell and chandler the opportunity to prove they either deserve, or don't deserve their positions before we replace them!

Posted · Report post

oughta be about fit.  Bell and Chandler are expected as starters.  They should be fit to their strengths, not because one player is better and therefore has to be the LT.  The LT isn't more critical than the overall line playing well.  

My concern isn't whether either can be solid pass blockers, I'm waiting to see Chandler run block well from the outside.  Williams is an OK pass pro guy, and hasn't shown that run blocking either. 

Posted · Report post

If Bell wins the LT job I have a feeling we'll still end up running a lot on his side.

Posted · Report post

I'd be interested in seeing last years cuts and how many tackles were picked up right away into a starting spot. Of course, thats far too much work for me to dig around for.... :)

I'd be interested in seeing how many teams last year had two undrafted free agents penciled in to start at OT going into final cuts.

I really, really hope Bell has improved tremendously, but despite however he has performed in camp and in preseason, his past regular season results are probably the best indication of his future performance.  IMO, Chandler is a complete wildcard since we've never seen him play OT in games that count.  However, I'm pulling for the wildcard over the guy who I've seen beaten like an old rug way too often.  Lots of posters complained about Shula constantly drawing up plays that had Cam rolling out to the left last year forcing him to throw across his body, but I think he did that to roll Cam away from the certain pressure that was gonna come from the right.  Bell was a big reason for that.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm selling both of these guys way short, but I also hope we sign some better veteran options just in case I'm not.

Posted · Report post

The only one off hand I remember is tony pashos. He played 12 games at tackle for the raiders. He was cut by the redskins.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app
1 person likes this