Photo
- - - - -

USAToday: Cam is "one of the NFL’s most electric players/took a huge jump last season"

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 gettlemanjack

gettlemanjack

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

not all national sports media hates us:

"All eyes on Cam Newton in preseason debut...All eyes are always on Newton, one of the NFL’s most electric players, who took a huge jump last season in leading the Panthers to the NFC South crown."

http://q.usatoday.co...as-city-chiefs/

#2 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

You are def new to the Huddle. Pessimism abounds. Expect 10 more negative threads to counter this one.

Good read, though. Pie.

#3 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Positivity exists?

#4 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

I'm not sure I agree about the huge jump.

Cam has seen a constant steady progression of his game.

#5 BountyHunter

BountyHunter

I'm not a Saint

• ALL-PRO
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

That progression resulted in wins last year.  I agree that he's steadily progressed but national media didn't notice until last year because they weren't winning before that.

#6 heelinfine

heelinfine

Football Expert

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

I agree. Just more proof that most of the national media have no clue about the evolution of our team.

#7 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

The defenses progression resulted in wins last year. Cam was never the problem. 

#8 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Wasn't our defense top 10 two years ago? I think Cam did show improvement with game winning drives and fumbling this year, which was a big help.

#9 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Funny, how the defense the national media touts so much now, could barely be mentioned Newton's first two years, when they were costing the Panther wins at the end of games.

Now, if the Panthers have another great year, and the offense produces, will Newton have/take another "huge jump" in consecutive years (or did the WR group last year REALLY Suck, unlike what the media told us)??

#10 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Wasn't our defense top 10 two years ago? I think Cam did show improvement with game winning drives and fumbling this year, which was a big help.

Regardless of what the defenses overall ranking was in 2012, they cost the Panthers several games at the end, by not holding leads Cam and the offense gave them. So yes, they were the problem.

This is where, you have to actually watch or remember (in case you forgot) the games.

Note: I mentioned "watch" for the national media, not you.

#11 heelinfine

heelinfine

Football Expert

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

Regardless of what the defenses overall ranking was in 2012, they cost the Panthers several games at the end, by not holding leads Cam and the offense gave them. So yes, they were the
problem.

This is where, you have to actually watch or remember (in case you forgot) the games.

Note: I mentioned "watch" for the national media,
not you.

How dare you insult the national media by suggesting they do their jobs.

Edited by heelinfine, 17 August 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#12 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Regardless of what the defenses overall ranking was in 2012, they cost the Panthers several games at the end, by not holding leads Cam and the offense gave them. So yes, they were the problem.

Note: I mentioned "watch" for the national media, not you.

That's true. But Cam did struggle 4th quarter of close games in the redzone his first two years. I think his improvement there is notable and a plus. Also, the decrease in fumbling was a plus. I think there was notable improvement last year.

Also, my stat was off. It doesn't seem like we were top ten in any meaningful statistic in 2012 that I can see.

#13 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

They ended the season with a top ten defense, they struggled mightily during the start of season. The Panthers went from 24th to 9th I believe, which was all thanks to Kuechly.

#14 Jmac

Jmac

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationAsheville NC

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

One thing they may have gotten wrong is I don't think Smith and Cam where close at all. I think that that Cam and K.B are tighter in three months then Smith and him ever where.Smith was never tight with anyone on this team that I can remember.....weird bird. Another media misconception from those who are not closely watching this team.

#15 gettlemanjack

gettlemanjack

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Chief's blog lists containing Cam as the #1 thing they will be watching for tonight:

1. Contain Cam
The Chiefs are going to face some very mobile quarterbacks this season including Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. It is important that the front seven contains Newton in the pocket, preferably without having to use Derrick Johnson as a spy. It will be a collective effort to get a pass rush while not allowing Newton to escape for ample yardage. In Bob Sutton's man-scheme, Newton will have room to roam should he run.

http://www.arrowhead...ason-cam-newton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com