Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyMagic97

2014 College Football Season

545 posts in this topic

Right, but just two weeks ago it was:

1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/2 QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon

1/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/3 RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin

2/3/3/3/3/4/4/5/5/6 QB J.T. Barrett, Ohio State

3/3/3/3/3/4/4/4/5/5 WR Amari Cooper, Alabama

3/4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4/5 QB Trevone Boykin, TCU

And yesterday a panel of 13 sportswriters clearly had Boykin in that Top 4 group that were so dominant compared to everyone else:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/expert-poll-final-2014-heisman-trophy-voting

It is not number of ballots though but number of points.  He only has one Top 3 ballot there.  This reminds me of the year when OU, UT, and TTU were all 11-1.  TTU's QB (forget his name) finished fourth but was not invited.  Mostly because he was behind the QB from the other two schools and there was another player involved too.  Having the other two from the same region also hurt him.

I honestly do not remember any of the players involved except I am pretty sure one was Colt McCoy.

Right, but just two weeks ago it was:

1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/2 QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon

1/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/3 RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin

2/3/3/3/3/4/4/5/5/6 QB J.T. Barrett, Ohio State

3/3/3/3/3/4/4/4/5/5 WR Amari Cooper, Alabama

3/4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4/5 QB Trevone Boykin, TCU

And yesterday a panel of 13 sportswriters clearly had Boykin in that Top 4 group that were so dominant compared to everyone else:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/expert-poll-final-2014-heisman-trophy-voting

I wonder if he will bolt again when Utah or Brigham Young eventually opens up.

***Note: quoted the wrong post, this was supposed to be to the Anderson discussion***

ESPN Tim MacMahon @espn_macmahon 3d

TCU's Trevone Boykin not being named a Heisman finalist is a damn shame. Why invite only 3 guys? Frogs/ Boykin

deserved that spotlight.

JJ @ huskers2k14 3d

Oh man, poor TCU. The fact that Boykin is NOT a Heisman

finalist is a screwjob.

Chris B. Brown @ smartfootball Dec 9

Strong Heisman field and Mariota looks like runaway winner, but main snub was Trevone Boykin. Never got credit for season he had

Billy Liucci @ billyliucci 3d

I'm okay with TCU being left out of playoff but Trevone

Boykin deserved to be invited to NYC as Heisman finalist.

Why not four?

Suzi Mellano @ SuziMellano 3d

BIG mistake not making Trevone Boykin a Heisman finalist.

Ho Ho Clinton-Dix @ THEDatDudeDamon 7h

How the hell wasn't Trevone Boykin a Heisman finalist??? I

mean what more would he have had to do?

Josh McCuistion @JLMcCuistion 2d

Seriously what did he have to do?

Sara Howarth @ sara_howarth 3d

Not going 2 the playoffs was like being stabbed by the

committee. Boykin not being a heisman candidate is some1 driving that knife in further

ck @ CaisonKitch 3d

smh Trevone Boykin didn't make heisman finalist

Landon Carsey @ LandonC_Carsey 3d

I'd be scared to play TCU. Got screwed in CFP selection and Boykin gets snubbed from Heisman . You could say they're pissed in Fort Worth..

Stefan Stevenson @StevensonFWST 3d

TCU QB Trevone Boykin not named a Heisman finalist. Another scew job for TCU.

I wonder if he will bolt again when Utah or Brigham Young eventually opens up.

seems Utah as his alma mater and with his long time coaching there would be his dream job:

ages of the coaches

age 55 - Kyle Whittingham, Utah

age 50 - Gary Andersen, Oregon State

age 48 - Bronco Mendenhall, BYU

Just thought of something.  Let us say that the unthinkable were to happen and somehow Navy went undefeated and was in contention for the playoffs.  Would the committee postpone their announcement a week to see them against Army?

seems Utah as his alma mater and with his long time coaching there would be his dream job:

ages of the coaches

age 55 - Kyle Whittingham, Utah

age 50 - Gary Andersen, Oregon State

age 48 - Bronco Mendenhall, BYU

Yeah, I think Whttingham will be there a while, unless a bigger school comes a calling.

It is not number of ballots though but number of points. He only has one Top 3 ballot there. This reminds me of the year when OU, UT, and TTU were all 11-1. TTU's QB (forget his name) finished fourth but was not invited. Mostly because he was behind the QB from the other two schools and there was another player involved too. Having the other two from the same region also hurt him.

I honestly do not remember any of the players involved except I am pretty sure one was Colt McCoy.

Four is the normal number you invite to NYC. This year you have four clear candidates that are head and shoulders above the rest. It is absurd not to invite all four of them, especially since all four are from different conferences. Mariota is the clear winner, the only reason the other guys are there is to get 5 minutes of recognition as one of the best of the best this year and to clap for Mariota when he wins. And Boykin beat Mariota in all 3 of these categories:

Total Offense Per Game

#1 in Power 5 -- 363.0 ypg -- Boykin ????? Wtf ??????

#2 in Power 5 -- 342.5 ypg -- Mariota HEISMAN FINALIST

(.................... 191.3 ypg -- Gordon) HEISMAN FINALIST

(.................... 129.2 ypg -- Cooper) HEISMAN FINALIST

Passing Yards Per Game

#2 in Power 5 -- 309.5 ypg -- Boykin

#7 in Power 5 -- 291.0 ypg -- Mariota

Rushing Yards Per Game

53.50 ypg -- Boykin

51.46 ypg -- Mariota

Four is the normal number you invite to NYC. This year you have four clear candidates that are head and shoulders above the rest. It is absurd not to invite all four of them, especially since all four are from different conferences. Mariota is the clear winner, the only reason the other guys are there is to get 5 minutes of recognition as one of the best of the best this year and to clap for Mariota when he wins. And Boykin beat Mariota in all 3 of these categories:

Total Offense Per Game

#1 in Power 5 -- 363.0 ypg -- Boykin ????? Wtf ??????

#2 in Power 5 -- 342.5 ypg -- Mariota HEISMAN FINALIST

(.................... 191.3 ypg -- Gordon) HEISMAN FINALIST

(.................... 129.2 ypg -- Cooper) HEISMAN FINALIST

Passing Yards Per Game

#2 in Power 5 -- 309.5 ypg -- Boykin

#7 in Power 5 -- 291.0 ypg -- Mariota

Rushing Yards Per Game

53.50 ypg -- Boykin

51.46 ypg -- Mariota

There is no normal number, it is based on how many points you get. Sometimes there are five guys, sometimes only three. There was a big sink the year the TTU guy got left off and that was the explanation given.

There is no normal number, it is based on how many points you get. Sometimes there are five guys, sometimes only three. There was a big sink the year the TTU guy got left off and that was the explanation given.

Well let's wait until they publish the votes and we'll see. Here are the 5 finalists that went to NYC in 2011. See how Monte Ball and Tyrann Mathieu got invited despite being nowhere close to the top 3?

the five finalists in 2011

1st 2nd 3rd Total Points

1. RG 405 168 136 1,687

2. AL 247 250 166 1,407

3. TR 138 207 150 978

4. MB 22 83 116 348

5. TM 34 63 99 327