45 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

When AJ Klein talks about football, he sounds more like a coach than a player. Klein is known as one of the brightest young players on the team.

I asked him about his interception against the Chiefs on Sunday night.

"I was just matching the coverage. My number three, which is my coverage match, was coming up the field. I tried to push him over the top, and he tried to cross my face. So I let him cross my face, I ended up under cutting it. The quarterback didn't see me."

Klein then grabbed the ball out of the air and ran.

Panthers-Chiefs-37.jpg

It is that precise moment when a defensive player grabs an interception and realizes that suddenly... he is on offense.

"It happens so fast, and when you have that ball you're like holy crap, I got the ball" Klein told me as his eyes lit up with excitement. "For me, what I was thinking was I see the end zone. Get up the field and towards the sideline. If I was five yards closer I would have dove for it."

"Right place at the right time." he Humbly added.

Klein may need to work on his ball running skills if he expects to impress his offensive teammates, however. Klein was chased down by the Chiefs running back.

"People were saying I look slow" he said as he laughed. "We'll see on film."

#2 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

I thought it was a nice return for a Linebacker.

#3 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Man I hope he wins that starting job. I love his lateral quickness over Blackburn.

Edited by PantherWake, 18 August 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#4 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,850 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Chase is more stout at the point of attack and has the veteran savvy, but Klein has far more upside and athleticism.

I love this kid.

#5 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,599 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Outside of Star this was my favorite pick in last year's draft. He will be a starter very soon for us, and when he does our already great linebacker crew will be even better. Once he has it all figured out he is going to be better than Blackburn and possibly by a wide margin

#6 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Beast!

#7 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

He is going to be a special player for us.

#8 BigBoss

BigBoss

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

We made 3 extremely good picks for our defense last year, I mean we got it done on that side of the ball.

#9 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

He looked like Kevin Greene running down the field.  If he would have dove it would have completed the picture.

#10 caatfan

caatfan

full of it

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Have we been gettin' some damn good LB's or what?

#11 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Have we been gettin' some damn good LB's or what?

Might have something to do with who our head coach is.

#12 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

He looked like Kevin Greene running down the field.  If he would have dove it would have completed the picture.

Nah, dude, if he had jumped up as the tackler (Cyrys Gray, I believe) came in low, and allowed dude to fly out of bounds up  under him, he probably would have made it in.  That would have been some athleticism there.  

But I swear for a minute I thought that was Kuechly snagging that ball out of the air and running down the sidelines.  Klein looks like the real deal.

#13 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Outside of Star this was my favorite pick in last year's draft. He will be a starter very soon for us, and when he does our already great linebacker crew will be even better. Once he has it all figured out he is going to be better than Blackburn and possibly by a wide margin

I remember well the "WHATS GETTLEMAN DOING FUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGG!!!!" reaction by so many when the Klein selection was made. :lol:

#14 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

I thought he looked pretty fast for a LB.

The kid definitely has a bright future in the NFL.

#15 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Might have something to do with who our head coach is.

When you look at the staff Rivera has built. You have to think back to that first press conference when he said he wanted to hire teachers. 

McDermott has proved to be an up and coming coach.

Eric Washington has helped 3rd and 6th round picks become superstar pass rushers. He's done well with Star and KK.

John Matsko on the oline has a Masters in Education to go with 23 years experience. He has a Hall of Fame tackle working under him that can relate to the players.

Ricky Proehl is a credible guy with players whether they are 1st round picks or late round projects.

Al Holcomb has done a great job and he's blessed to have Thomas Davis as a veteran leader, Luke as an ambitious star, and Chase as the guy that can relate to long shots.

Then you have Ron who's seen a lot of Football and paid his dues. He had to learn to be a Head Coach and he delivered an NFC South crown in year three.

But the NFL is dog eat dog. Ron goes into 2014 as the least experienced and decorated coach in the division. What's next? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com