95 replies to this topic

#16 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

The amount of denial on this forum is a little scary. If this style of play continues he will not have a healthy 15 year career.

We aren't talking about rgknee here, cams going to run he's going to get tackled. But at 6'5 240 dbs arent going to lay the wood on you like someone 5'11 190. Cam could play te at his size. This is football he's going to get knicked up, but it's much less likely he gets hurt running the football in the open field verse getting rolled up on in the pocket. Why would you want to take away something he's so good at because he might get hurt. Just sit him on the bench then.

#17 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,303 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

The amount of denial on this forum is a little scary. If this style of play continues he will not have a healthy 15 year career.

Who is in denial? No, he won't play 15 years doing what he does.

But why draft Cam Newton if you aren't going to let him be Cam for as long as he can be. Overall he plays smart given his size.

People get hurt in football. Brady, Manning, Rodgers....doesn't matter.

#18 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

We aren't talking about rgknee here, cams going to run he's going to get tackled. But at 6'5 240 dbs arent going to lay the wood on you like someone 5'11 190. Cam could play te at his size. This is football he's going to get knicked up, but it's much less likely he gets hurt running the football in the open field verse getting rolled up on in the pocket. Why would you want to take away something he's so good at because he might get hurt. Just sit him on the bench then.

The hits will catch up to him eventually especially as he gets older and his athleticism diminishes.

We sometimes forget superman is human.

#19 MV%doe

MV%doe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

So a hit is lightly hand touching cam after he drives for yards? Even on sacks, they where not "omg is he dead?!!?" I cannt recall seeing cam getting a few lott/atwater type hits. Yep too many, but not running back type punishment.

Edited by MV%doe, 25 August 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#20 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

The hits will catch up to him eventually especially as he gets older and his athleticism diminishes.

We sometimes forget superman is human.

That's with anyone. I've always assumed cam at his best was going to be about his third season to his 8th, he isn't going to be good as long as Brady, manning and brees. I just assumed that was a given.

Edited by Baby Andy Reid, 25 August 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#21 SuperLego5

SuperLego5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

The irony of it is that in a real game Cam tries to run through the defenders and doesn't expose his back the way he did but because it was preseason he tried to protect himself and exposed himself to injury.

#22 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

That's with anyone. I've always assumed cam at his best was going to be about his third season to his 8th, he isn't going to be good as long as Brady, manning and brees. I just assumed that was a given.

Some people don't see it that way because he's tough as poo and rarely shows pain he just gets up and runs it off.

I think cam has what it takes mentally to add 3 or 4 more years. Especially if we keep drafting talent like Benjamin.

#23 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,261 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Newton has 367 rush attempts...no other QB has that to skew the stats

And yet Cam has had more passing attempts in the pocket than RG3, Wilson and Kaeperdick. The point remains, Cam has taken too many hits already.

#24 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,282 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

How many of those hits or sacks were actually in the pocket? 

#25 pepaw

pepaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

I'm not saying take QB rushing  away all the way.  I'm saying the current amount of hits he's taken is not sustainable for a healthy career. Yes he's not small, but look at Rapelesberger, he's always dinged and misses a few games the last couple of years because he was too stupid/lazy to learn to read defenses.  

I would say ideally in a season or two, Cam has no more than 60 rush attemts per year.  

#26 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,509 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

He runs a lot and is going to get hit a lot because of this. He scrambles and tries to make something Happen instead of throwing the ball away and is going to get hit more because of that. Those numbers mean very little in terms of OL play except for sacks and qb hits.

Cam is who he is because he runs and how he scrambles, taking that away even a little is limiting his chances of success.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Edited by carpanfan96, 25 August 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#27 Jmac

Jmac

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • LocationAsheville NC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Having your QB as your leading rusher every year is never a good thing when he is the franchise.

#28 Eazy-E

Eazy-E

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Why is this not an issue with other skill position players. Should we be worried about how many hits our WRs and RBs have taken. Cam I believe is 2nd in rushing TDs since 2011 only behind Adrian Peterson. Figure out the hits he is taking in the pocket / sacks and if that number is alarming we may have something to worry about.

#29 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,509 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Having your QB as your leading rusher every year is never a good thing when he is the franchise.

He was never likely to play more then 8-10 seasons at a high level, so let him do his thing while he can.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#30 TheAmericanDream

TheAmericanDream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Doesn't matter. We all know he's Superman!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com