• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Your GFs favorite huddler

Your GFs favorite huddler

• ALL-PRO
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, nc

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

With all the hoopla surrounding the 5 yard rule change I found myself wondering how this will affect our defense. The Panthers as a whole have been penalized 18 times through 3 preseason games which is 8th fewest in the NFL. With penalties as a whole being up 44% around the NFL this bodes well for us. I feel the rule change effects teams that play man to man and press coverage more than primarily zone base schemes.

With our lack of all stars in the secondary, and being forced to play primarily zone last year and this year, keeping things underneath in front of us, we may benefit more than other teams who will be forced to tweak their schemes and coverages to account for increased penalties in the secondary.

I think it hurts us most with Luke and TD being one on one with TEs, but I don't see this affecting our pass coverage as a whole, that and the fact that I've seen TD simply lay out whoever he is supposed to cover as soon as they get off the line on more than one occasion this preseason!

Do any of you see something different that might cause a problem? Thoughts on how this affects our Defense?

#2 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

#FireShula

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,350 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Sorry, I'm sure it was a good write up but I got distracted watching TD lay guys out

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#3 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Bigger issue for Seattle than anyone

#4 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Their starters have been flagged for less penalties than anyone else in preseason.

#5 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

not as much as people would think. Obviously Cason had trouble, but the strength of our D is the front 7.

Our Best pass defense is our rush. We dont rely as heavily On DBs. Some teams rely %100 of the pass defense on their DBs.. put a lot of money in them.

We Will have good pass defense regardless of who is back there

#6 Your GFs favorite huddler

• ALL-PRO
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, nc

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Yea Seattle ha done surprisingly well, TBH they are just amazing athletes, say what you want

#7 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

Their starters have been flagged for less penalties than anyone else in preseason.

Its preseason. Teams arent going to do what they will in reg season. Why show your hand?

#8 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Its preseason. Teams arent going to do what they will in reg season. Why show your hand?

I'm just saying, everyone else has been flagged for it. So, I guess that 31 other teams have shown their hand.

#9 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

The Seahawks aren't gonna change.  They'll stick with their "they can't throw a flag on every play" philosophy.  Ultimately, when the regular season comes around, I think it'll largely be the same as it was before.  You're not gonna see many 20 penalty regular season games.  Fans will be nearly ready to revolt.

#10 Your GFs favorite huddler

• ALL-PRO
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, nc

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

The Seahawks aren't gonna change. They'll stick with their "they can't throw a flag on every play" philosophy. Ultimately, when the regular season comes around, I think it'll largely be the same as it was before. You're not gonna see many 20 penalty regular season games. Fans will be nearly ready to revolt.

It might be considered blasphemy to some on here, but TBH that's why I respect the hell outta Seattle defensively. People hate on them and their attitude but I love that ish in football

#11 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

there starters aren't out there roughing WRs all game long this preseason

#12 Third Degree

Third Degree

Socks are for your feet, silly

• HUDDLER
  • 4,958 posts
  • Location704

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

We can still give 'em the D

#13 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

the calls wont be as strict in the season though

#14 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

not as much as people would think. Obviously Cason had trouble, but the strength of our D is the front 7.

Our Best pass defense is our rush. We dont rely as heavily On DBs. Some teams rely %100 of the pass defense on their DBs.. put a lot of money in them.

We Will have good pass defense regardless of who is back there

There is one thing that Ron harps on and it's jamming and "rerouting". Most of the big plays we gave up last year were a result of WRs getting a free run. The pash rush needs time to arrive at the QB and the secondary makes that time by disrupting routes. 

I think we can adjust. It will probably hurt us but it will help our offense more than it hurts our defense in my mind. I think your still going to see star DBs get veteran calls from the refs. Sherman, Revis, etc.

#15 Panfan7

Panfan7

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

I don't see how it would affect us ,normally we play with a 8-10 yard cusion anyway. I think the better question is who will it help the most. Brady and manning are gonna be more deadly with their dink and dunk offense

Sent from my SM-G900P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com