Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Correct Police Tactics For Dangerous Suspect

17 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

From only watching this video, I'd call this a bad shoot. 

The reason you shoot someone is to end the threat. That's it. No more, no less. He leveled his weapon and appears he aimed it at someone. A lethal take down would have been the safest thing at that point, at least in my opinion, because it ended the threat.  According to the video, they still couldn't approach him for 30 minutes because he still had the gun. They shot to wound and didn't end the threat. Eventually they were able to take him into custody, but it could have turned out differently. What if he had started firing on the way down because it wasn't a lethal shot? Killed someone because of a random unlucky shot?. Would we still be saying shoot to wound, or would people be screaming because they didn't kill him before he managed to kill an innocent?You shoot to end the threat. 

On a more positive note, he will probably sue for millions for pain and suffering for his non lethal wound. And win. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

On a more positive note, he will probably sue for millions for pain and suffering for his non lethal wound. And win.

That's why they don't shoot to wound for all the posters who keep shouting for that.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Posted · Report post

Perspective:

1. Anyone care to guess just how many calls police throughout the country responded to on August 9, 2014?

2. Anyone care to guess how many police initiated interactions were done around the country on August 9, 2014?

Yet a town was basically crippled by the press, its own citizens, the National Guard, hundreds of cops, protestors and whomever else because the one time out of literally hundreds of thousands of police interactions that took place in 50 states in this country on August 9, 2014 resulted in someone getting shot. 

I'm not siding with right or wrong here, I'm simply trying to keep it in perspective.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thank you to all the soldiers, sailors, marines, police and firefighters, to name only a few, that make a difference everyday.

Having said that, let us not lose sight of the fact that there is always room for improvement in whatever we do.

Even if it only saves one person's life, we have still made a difference.

It may not matter to you, but you can be sure, it matters to them.

http://youtu.be/1wuSaNCIde4

Posted · Report post

Thank you to all the soldiers, sailors, marines, police and firefighters, to name only a few, that make a difference everyday.

Having said that, let us not lose sight of the fact that there is always room for improvement in whatever we do.

Even if it only saves one person's life, we have still made a difference.

It may not matter to you, but you can be sure, it matters to them.

I agree.  I just hate seeing such a broad brush used to paint any group, whether its a race, a nation, or a profession. 

Saying that the majority of cops are bad cops, or power hungry, or jackasses, tends to make them defensive.  Got to figure out a way to single out the ones that are bad and get rid of them, and do our best to ensure that the rest of them understand how to handle pressure packed situations, without making it worse.  And that guns are an absolute last resort. 

2 people like this