12 replies to this topic

#1 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

The recruitment of Bryce Brown was a winding saga that started with an early commitment to Miami (Fla.), included a criticized relationship with advisor Brian Butler and ended with him selecting Tennessee six weeks after signing day.

Now the eligibility of the Wichita, Kan., native is being questioned by the NCAA three weeks before the start of the season. The issue appears to be Brown's acceptance of money to make unofficial visits during his recruiting process.

How many games will Lane Kiffin personally be responsible for losing this year? Think 70 yard field goal attempts...

Shocking

#2 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,961 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

Is it just me or does Kiffin seem like a complete dipsh*t?

#3 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

I'm sure you all got excited at the possibility of bashing Lane Kiffin on this one, but I'll save you embarrassement...Kiffin actually isn't to blame. Please don't make claims like this elsewhere. Others might not be as accepting of ignorance.
They have been investigating him since January, and it has to do with the funding of recruiting trips Brown has been on since he was a sophomore in high school. Kiffin hadn't even been hired by the Raiders yet.
His "advisor", Brian Butler, handled Brown's brother (who plays at Miami) exactly the same way, and he was cleared. Smells a little fishy how all of a sudden this comes up in the media when it's been investigated since January. Looks like someone is trying to make a big deal out of something that is going to blow over anyway.
If anything happens with this, it's because Butler is lying. It will have NOTHING to do with Tennessee or Lane Kiffin.

#4 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Where there's smoke...

Butler is definitely to blame here. And I actually do like Lane Kiffin. I think he's great for college football, and he's there's never a shortage of funny things coming from Knoxville recently.

But this kid was bad news from the get-go, and it's even more suspicious that Tennessee swept in at the 11th hour and swooped this kid from Oregon & Kansas State.

My guess is that Butler gets subpoenaed (sp?) and Brown gets to play when it's all said and done.

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,961 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

Yep, and I read the article and it says this has nothing to do with any coach or school... my impression of Kiffin is that he's a dipsh*t... sorry. I don't have a dog in that fight either... I like college football, but don't have any particular allegiance.

#6 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

I see why some people insist that he's a moron, but I believe they'll all be proven wrong very soon. I've talked with several UT players about the direction of the program right now, and EVERYONE is a passionate believer of CLK. He's changed the way the team practices, he's changed the way the team works out, and he's even changed the famous "Vol Walk" to get players and fans more hyped up immediately before a game.
As long as they can keep Jonathan Crompton from ruining our season again, I think the Vols will win a solid eight games this year. By Kiffin's third year, I expect UT to be in the discussion again as contenders in the conference.
I just hope this NCAA investigation doesn't keep Bryce Brown on the bench. It's not like we absolutely need him to play right now, because he's currently battling for the #2 job at RB. We'd all still really like to see him out there on a Saturday.

#7 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

My thing is if Brown was being investigated since January that is a BIG risk on getting him to join your team knowing he might not be able to play

I was a huge follower in Arthur Brown's recruitment as it came down to Carolina and Miami, because I knew his brother was a package deal...Well until Miami screwed that one up.

Bryce Brown is a major talent, and was one reason other than his brother is talented that some people got into the Arthur Brown recruitment if they did needed a LB or not

#8 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,961 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

I see why some people insist that he's a moron, but I believe they'll all be proven wrong very soon. I've talked with several UT players about the direction of the program right now, and EVERYONE is a passionate believer of CLK. He's changed the way the team practices, he's changed the way the team works out, and he's even changed the famous "Vol Walk" to get players and fans more hyped up immediately before a game.
As long as they can keep Jonathan Crompton from ruining our season again, I think the Vols will win a solid eight games this year. By Kiffin's third year, I expect UT to be in the discussion again as contenders in the conference.
I just hope this NCAA investigation doesn't keep Bryce Brown on the bench. It's not like we absolutely need him to play right now, because he's currently battling for the #2 job at RB. We'd all still really like to see him out there on a Saturday.

Yeah, he may end up being the greatest college football coach ever, I have no idea... it's just that the impression he's left me with, with all of his weird comments, initial violations and just the way he presents himself, is that he's a little fish in a big pond. Hell, maybe he's been doing that stupid stuff on purpose to get attention, who knows...

#9 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

I was a huge follower in Arthur Brown's recruitment as it came down to Carolina and Miami, because I knew his brother was a package deal...Well until Miami screwed that one up.

It was Oregon and Kansas State there towards the end. Miami wasn't an option as far back as October of last year. Arthur hates Miami and seriously considered transferring. Bryce was never going to make it to Miami.

#10 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

It was Oregon and Kansas State there towards the end. Miami wasn't an option as far back as October of last year. Arthur hates Miami and seriously considered transferring. Bryce was never going to make it to Miami.

Kansas St was always in the mix, but the reason he choose Miami was because the Coaches pretty much lied to him about something with playing time or the position he played (something like that) He hates it there now, because of the deception the Coaches are now starting to show. I remember watching signing day and ESPN even said that sources close to Brown were his two schools in the lead were Carolina and Miami.

He fell in love with John Blake, and a lot of "experts" thought he was leaning Carolina, because of Blake. I was very disappointed to see that he choose Miami. Also, I heard a rumor saying the Bryce would rather play for Miami with their rich tradition of running backs

#11 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

The verdict is in. He'll have to miss one game, and pay back the money from his recruiting trips taken when he was a sophomore in high school.
UT is appealing.
I'm not really that heart-broken if he has to miss the Western Kentucky on 9/5/09. We won't need him to win that one, and at least he won't get hurt in a throw-away game.

#12 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Kansas St was always in the mix, but the reason he choose Miami was because the Coaches pretty much lied to him about something with playing time or the position he played (something like that) He hates it there now, because of the deception the Coaches are now starting to show. I remember watching signing day and ESPN even said that sources close to Brown were his two schools in the lead were Carolina and Miami.

He fell in love with John Blake, and a lot of "experts" thought he was leaning Carolina, because of Blake. I was very disappointed to see that he choose Miami. Also, I heard a rumor saying the Bryce would rather play for Miami with their rich tradition of running backs

I'm talking about Bryce. He was never going to go to Miami.

#13 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

I'm talking about Bryce. He was never going to go to Miami.

yeah the more I read about him, it makes it weird that he even committed to them in the first place

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com