• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

What's a reasonably priced desktop or laptop that will play games? I mostly play the sims, but my son is into all the other games that most of you play. The only computer he's mentioned wanting is an alienware.

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,141 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Probably the worst investment you can make.
2 years from now it will all be outdated. :lol:

Alienware makes a SICK rig for gaming. But you will end up spending 3k before you know it.

#3 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, that's why he isn't getting one.

The desktop we have now won't handle most games. I can't play sims on it or anything. Could I just have this one upgraded or something?

#4 WildBill559

WildBill559

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

Don't go over 1k, especially if you are building it yourself. It depends, but yeah you should be able to upgrade your current PC cheap enough.

#5 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,141 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

Depends on how old the PC is really.

#6 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 21,737 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

I have a 500 dollar or so HP (no monitor) that I bumped up to 4GB RAM and added a good video card. Works great for my online game. Video is usually what gets skimped on with bargain machines and what you want the most of IMHO...

#7 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,424 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

Go to newegg or tigerdirect and build your own.

#8 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

Do I look like I know how to build my own?

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 21,737 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

I used to build mine from the ground up, but the time and research it takes vs. the money saved, warranty headaches, made me finally give it up. If I had to have the absolute best stuff then yes, I would build a custom machine and save some decent money. But for lower end stuff....meh its more of a "fun" thing than a "money saving" thing to me -

#10 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Alienware is WAY overrated. You can get a Dell that's focused towards gaming and it'll be pretty much the same at 1/2 the price(Dell owns AW anyway).

Really the most important thing is a good video card. You can spend $200 and get a very good card that will run any game out there(something like this - very quick search). But then it's a matter of if you have a AGPx16, a good power supply and suitable cooling.

Anything more than a video card and it get's more complex, but if your son is really into it then he can learn himself. I can normally get a system that's equal to a $1000 Dell with about $600.

#11 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

I used to build mine from the ground up, but the time and research it takes vs. the money saved, warranty headaches, made me finally give it up. If I had to have the absolute best stuff then yes, I would build a custom machine and save some decent money. But for lower end stuff....meh its more of a "fun" thing than a "money saving" thing to me -

For me I like doing the research and finding a sweet spot in pricing. I never get top of the line stuff, always a step down - saves a LOT of money. And I stagger my upgrades so I rarely spent a big hunk of cash at a time.

#12 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,424 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:22 PM

Do I look like I know how to build my own?

Pretty sure they send you step by step instructions, if it's for Ty make him build it himself. Or have father/son time. It's not that bad. If you can program a DVR and put together cheap furniture, you can do it!

I just gutted my HP rig I got in February. Only thing original is the DVD-R on it. Got some RAM if you want it. lol

#13 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

Dell makes good laptops, I've owned the M1210 and now currently own an M1530. Go onto their website and you can build your own computer. For middle of the road gaming you'd probably be ok with 2 GB RAM with a 128 MB video card and about 1.8 GHz processor. If you're looking to play the current high end games (like Crysis) you'll need more RAM, a better video card (at least 256 MB) and probably at least 2.2 GHz processor.

#14 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

Thanks! It's not anything he'll be getting soon, but at least he can start saving for upgrades.

#15 Seamonk

Seamonk

kekekekekeke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

Dear god don't get Alienware.. Seriously, if he wants a gaming computer he should make it himself. Otherwise get him a cheapass laptop for schoolwork. At least making your own, you can customize it more easily. Don't have to worry about "WARRANTY VOIDED IF OPENED" crap since each part has it's own warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.