Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StepandFetch

The Intimidator

41 posts in this topic

Last time I went was the first and only time ive been since I kinda grew up and filled out...now im about 6'5" and 210 lbs, and I felt like I had gotten hit by a truck by the time the day was over....I just dont fit well in most of those rides.

I went to Carowinds a couple weeks ago and Thunder Road has become a very rough ride. It was more painful than fun when we went on it. I don't remember there being so many jarring bumps on the track or it shaking so violently in past years. Was killer on my lower back.

That's the ride's charm. ;)

Bigger and better roller coasters have been built for more thrills but nothing beats the feeling on thunder road that this could finally be the run where this PoS ride finally gives out.

Cedar Fair is in the 3rd year of a 5 year retracking project for Thunder Road. Dunno if anyone noticed it, but the ride out is really smooth and enjoyable. The ride back though, is almost as bad as the Hurler.

And I'm really happy with the mid-course brakes being after all the hills. The diving helix is more of a cooldown after all that romping around.

The diving helix also reminds me a little of the Wild Bull that used to be where Afterburn is now.

Loved the Wild Bull!

Hate the log flume is gone, though...that and Rip Roarin' Rapids where the only two things you could get wet on there back in the day.

Loved the Wild Bull!

Hate the log flume is gone, though...that and Rip Roarin' Rapids where the only two things you could get wet on there back in the day.

and come out smelling like afro sheen, sun tan lotion, and whatever else the masses would be wearing. i'm glad they put those cool zones up, and got rid of the need for those two rides. hell, even the pool in the water park area has that terrible smell.

That's the ride's charm. ;)

Bigger and better roller coasters have been built for more thrills but nothing beats the feeling on thunder road that this could finally be the run where this PoS ride finally gives out.

Thunder Road was my favorite coaster for the 15 years I've been going to Carowinds. My usual routine would be getting to the park early and ride all the newer rides before the crowds really got there then spend the afternoon at Thunder Road. I know it rattles you around a lot but this wasn't the same as it used to be. It was like someone kept using a sledgehammer against the underside of the seats, and my spine was absorbing the impact.

3 minutes and 33 seconds to ride, eh?

Amazingly precise timing? Or clever marketing?

Regardless, good to see Carowinds has been busy these past few years. What is this, three new coasters (Nighthawk, Carolina Cobra, Intimidator) within the past few years? Looking forward to riding this one.

Damn, I need to get to Carowinds...ive never even heard of Nighthawk or Carolina Cobra.

Carolina Cobra just opened this year. Nighthawk used to be the Borg Assimilator. Haven't ridden the Cobra yet, but if you've never lain down on a rollercoaster, go ride Nighthawk.

Looks just like Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens just a little higher. I'm very mildly afraid of heights, no more than the average person I'd say, but that ride was the only thing I've gone on where I got that 'oh poo' feeling. I haven't been to carowinds in years but I'll go to ride that.

">

My cell phone came out of my pocket on the Nighthawk (still liked it as the Borg best - loved the sound effects as you walked around it) a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a goner, but they found it all beat up. Back and battery gone, but when I put my son's battery in, it turned on and the LCD screens were intact. My menus were all messed up too because the guts of the phone had shifted, but my son took my phone apart and fixed that. Got a new battery and cover and it's good as new....with lots of gouges in the plastic case.