Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tarheelpride

Too Dependent Upon Smith?

59 posts in this topic

As long as they don't have to force it into him, then throw it to him as much as they can. BTW, anyone notice that we have 38 catches by our tight ends. That might be a record for Jake.

89 needs to touch the ball as much as possible. When he does, good things happen for us.

feed the stud ftw. if he is trippled fine, start the checkdown.

He's started looking for moose more. And even Jarret a little. But we should get King and Rosario back in. U remember how Rosario did when we gave the ball to him (Week 1 at SD: 7 catches, 96 yards, 1 TD) and 1 thing i'd really love to see is more swing passes to D-Will like vs KC. And hopefully, we can get Hackett more involved when he starts playing again

I remember when I went to the Tampa debacle last year, I was amazed how often they dragged a safety deep over Smith's side. I mean they weren't even pretending to do otherwise on almost every single play.

And why not? Who else was going to hurt them?

Now, with the running game and Moose to get the yards if they gang up on Smith, they have to pay. This frees up Smith. Get him the damn ball.

So to my point:

If we have to throw to Smith even when there's a deep safety read pre-snap, we've got problems.

If we throw to Smith when he's in single coverage or even when he's double covered but got a jump on the saftey, we don't have problems.

i like what davidson is doing. the only thing i would like to see more is passes to the RBs, more WR screens to smitty and a few more trick plays. i have a feeling that we are going to start seeing this stuff beginning sunday.

I dont know why we dont get him the ball more. It seems like until the past 2 weeks we've almost completely ditched the quick screen pass to Smitty. We lived and died off that play in 2005 and it got us to the NFC championship game. Now that we have a balanced rushing attack (a very good one at that), we should be slipping this in there more than we do. Luckily we've done this the past couple of weeks and it's gotten a first down almost everytime.

Steve Smith is our best player. He should be at atleast 100 receptions before the seasons done with, or that in my opinion is a disappointment. He is a game changer.

Last 3 years (without Moose), yes.

This year, no.

i like what davidson is doing. the only thing i would like to see more is passes to the RBs, more WR screens to smitty and a few more trick plays. i have a feeling that we are going to start seeing this stuff beginning sunday.

We do have 36 passes to the running backs this year. Doesn't sound like much until you realize that we throw the ball less than just about any team in the NFL (tied for last in passing attempts).