Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too Dependent Upon Smith?

59 posts in this topic

Posted

I remember when I went to the Tampa debacle last year, I was amazed how often they dragged a safety deep over Smith's side. I mean they weren't even pretending to do otherwise on almost every single play.

And why not? Who else was going to hurt them?

Now, with the running game and Moose to get the yards if they gang up on Smith, they have to pay. This frees up Smith. Get him the damn ball.

So to my point:

If we have to throw to Smith even when there's a deep safety read pre-snap, we've got problems.

If we throw to Smith when he's in single coverage or even when he's double covered but got a jump on the saftey, we don't have problems.

Posted

So what your saying is....he should go to Jarrett

Posted

i like what davidson is doing. the only thing i would like to see more is passes to the RBs, more WR screens to smitty and a few more trick plays. i have a feeling that we are going to start seeing this stuff beginning sunday.

Posted

I dont know why we dont get him the ball more. It seems like until the past 2 weeks we've almost completely ditched the quick screen pass to Smitty. We lived and died off that play in 2005 and it got us to the NFC championship game. Now that we have a balanced rushing attack (a very good one at that), we should be slipping this in there more than we do. Luckily we've done this the past couple of weeks and it's gotten a first down almost everytime.

Steve Smith is our best player. He should be at atleast 100 receptions before the seasons done with, or that in my opinion is a disappointment. He is a game changer.

Posted

Last 3 years (without Moose), yes.

This year, no.

Posted

i like what davidson is doing. the only thing i would like to see more is passes to the RBs, more WR screens to smitty and a few more trick plays. i have a feeling that we are going to start seeing this stuff beginning sunday.

We do have 36 passes to the running backs this year. Doesn't sound like much until you realize that we throw the ball less than just about any team in the NFL (tied for last in passing attempts).

Posted

We do have 36 passes to the running backs this year. Doesn't sound like much until you realize that we throw the ball less than just about any team in the NFL (tied for last in passing attempts).

Hopefully that'll change. We need to open the passing game up to keep teams from locking in on the run. And not to mention we have one of the most talented WR in the league too.

Posted

Hopefully that'll change. We need to open the passing game up to keep teams from locking in on the run. And not to mention we have one of the most talented WR in the league too.

Over the last few games, we have passed and passed effectively when needed. We just haven't needed to pass much.

Jake had a great game against Atlanta. Distributed the ball well (6 different players had 2 or more catches), unfortunately it came as we experienced bad play from the d and special teams.

Posted

Speaking of Steve Smith, I was just reading his wikipedia article and found something funny. Check out the last line. I wonder how long that's been up / how long it will stay there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Smith_(Carolina_Panthers)

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name."

Why don't you just tell us what the last line was?

Posted

I would like to see SS get it MORE in the way of reverses etc. Get that dude in space.

HOWEVER, as long as teams are dumb enough to single cover then you have to destroy them.

I would feel just a wee bit better if the TE's were catching, not just being thrown too, at least 3-4 a game.

Jarrett or DJ are going to be left alone down the stretch. Those two are going to have to make some big plays in the playoffs.

But right now the way the running game is going, Jake can lock in on SS because the D is having to think so much about the run.

Posted

With Smith in the slot, you can use him over and over