58 replies to this topic

#16 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

who up here thinks delhomme is too dependent upon smith in the passing game?

don't get me wrong, smith is unworldly good, but i want delhomme to spread the ball around a bit more, get muhammed, the TE's, and some others some passes.

that's just my opinion.

Denver basically had Smith single Covered all day long, I thought I would never see that again and I wouldn't Blame Jake in a million years for throwing towards Smith when he's in Single coverage that's a TD waiting to happen.

#17 outlaw4

outlaw4

Winning Cures Everything

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

If we don't use Smitty enough, the talking heads and fans will bash the coaching staff for wasting his talents and having a conservative ball-oriented offense.

If we use Smitty too much, the talking heads and fans will say on Jake that Smitty "bails him out" all the time and that we're not giving reps to the other receivers on the team, going back to the "feed the stud" mentality under Dan Henning.

There is no happy medium, is there? :lol:

#18 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,019 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

We used both of our receivers pretty well last week.

#19 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,756 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

delhomme to smith has worked ok so far. im not complaining

#20 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,548 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

Why would you not put the ball in Smith's hands when you can?

If he's open, throw it to him 40 times a game.

#21 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,633 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

As long as they don't have to force it into him, then throw it to him as much as they can. BTW, anyone notice that we have 38 catches by our tight ends. That might be a record for Jake.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 16 December 2008 - 06:52 PM.

#22 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

89 needs to touch the ball as much as possible. When he does, good things happen for us.

#23 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

feed the stud ftw. if he is trippled fine, start the checkdown.

#24 SpartanPanther89

SpartanPanther89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationDetroit/East Lansing

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

He's started looking for moose more. And even Jarret a little. But we should get King and Rosario back in. U remember how Rosario did when we gave the ball to him (Week 1 at SD: 7 catches, 96 yards, 1 TD) and 1 thing i'd really love to see is more swing passes to D-Will like vs KC. And hopefully, we can get Hackett more involved when he starts playing again

#25 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,548 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:01 PM

I remember when I went to the Tampa debacle last year, I was amazed how often they dragged a safety deep over Smith's side. I mean they weren't even pretending to do otherwise on almost every single play.

And why not? Who else was going to hurt them?

Now, with the running game and Moose to get the yards if they gang up on Smith, they have to pay. This frees up Smith. Get him the damn ball.

So to my point:

If we have to throw to Smith even when there's a deep safety read pre-snap, we've got problems.

If we throw to Smith when he's in single coverage or even when he's double covered but got a jump on the saftey, we don't have problems.

#26 Williams34

Williams34

Secretary of Offense

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

So what your saying is....he should go to Jarrett

#27 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

i like what davidson is doing. the only thing i would like to see more is passes to the RBs, more WR screens to smitty and a few more trick plays. i have a feeling that we are going to start seeing this stuff beginning sunday.

#28 SteveSmitty

SteveSmitty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

I dont know why we dont get him the ball more. It seems like until the past 2 weeks we've almost completely ditched the quick screen pass to Smitty. We lived and died off that play in 2005 and it got us to the NFC championship game. Now that we have a balanced rushing attack (a very good one at that), we should be slipping this in there more than we do. Luckily we've done this the past couple of weeks and it's gotten a first down almost everytime.

Steve Smith is our best player. He should be at atleast 100 receptions before the seasons done with, or that in my opinion is a disappointment. He is a game changer.

#29 Skew

Skew

GOLD PREMIUM MEMBER

• Moderators
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

Last 3 years (without Moose), yes.

This year, no.

#30 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,633 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

i like what davidson is doing. the only thing i would like to see more is passes to the RBs, more WR screens to smitty and a few more trick plays. i have a feeling that we are going to start seeing this stuff beginning sunday.

We do have 36 passes to the running backs this year. Doesn't sound like much until you realize that we throw the ball less than just about any team in the NFL (tied for last in passing attempts).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com