Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars The Old Republic

569 posts in this topic

Posted

i'm not so good with laptops. processor speed is giving way to longer battery life.

Posted

Dammit

Posted

whoah didnt know panthers forum would play this lmao.

Dec. 9th, waitint to get in :(

Posted

whoa who woulda thought an internets forum with pc gamers would play pc games?

not this blonde, that's for sure!

Posted

whoa who woulda thought an internets forum with pc gamers would play pc games?

not this blonde, that's for sure!

are u in raleigh? Please say yes so I can beat the poo out of you davidjames.gif

Posted

nope, sure ain't so i'll beat the poo out of it for you

Posted

So now that some people have had a chance to play it....how is it? I'm seriously considering picking this up. I don't want to waste 50-60 bucks tho. Not to mention I'm already playing Rift and I love it (though I am getting a bit bored, since I've done just about everything)....i don't have time for two MMO's.

It's fantastic. You won't waste your money, there's plenty of content to enjoy to get your $50 worth even if you don't end up playing the game long term.

god dammit i need a new PC to play these games, problem is even after $1500 I won't be able to play next year's games...

to me this is the main negative PCs have on consoles, the experience is all in the computer, especially online games. But god this game looks so fuging good...always been a fan of the star wars RPGs and Im not even a fan of star wars

Why in the world would you think you need a $1500 computer to play? Even then, why would you think a $1500 computer wouldn't play next years games? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm genuinely curious why you'd think that.

Posted

I have played most every major MMO out there. Rift is one of the many I have a great deal of experience with...

I much prefer leveling in TOR. Can't speak to end game because I'm not there, but the voice over stories and multiple options have so far drawn me into the story.

Yeah I figure the story would be pretty good with Bioware. But could you be specific about the leveling? What makes it good?

In Rift, as you know, you have 8 souls that you can basically mix and match into 5 roles to play however you want. That's what really is great about Rift. When I get bored with one play style I can always change it up without having to make a new character. Is it similar in TOR? Maybe it's the same with all MMO's, I have no idea since Rift is the only one I've ever played.

Also I play Rift on my laptop. Will I be able to run TOR?

Posted

probably locked into a class on TOR. probably can respec within the class though.

if it runs rift, it should run TOR, but hey, dcuo is f2p if you're worried about spending 50$ on a game that will require you to pay monthly after the first month.

that's like 50$ to rent a game for a month otherwise

Posted

god dammit i need a new PC to play these games, problem is even after $1500 I won't be able to play next year's games...

to me this is the main negative PCs have on consoles, the experience is all in the computer, especially online games. But god this game looks so fuging good...always been a fan of the star wars RPGs and Im not even a fan of star wars

you could put a $300 graphics card in a 2004 dell and be able to play this game.

Posted

you'd have to pop in a new psu first

Posted

I took Kurbs advice and turned off shadows, MUCH better thanks!

So far...

I'm at level 8 and so far the game is VERY linear - story trumps all. The Jedi temple location is very nicely done but the area seems pretty constrained as to where you can go and what you can do. The interaction of the NPCs via video and audio gameplay looks great, and the ability to ask questions a certain way is cool - but sometimes I get a bit bored listening to them talk and would rather have the text boxes back so I can skim and get to the meat of the matter. It seems the've crafted this game for casual gamers that like Star Wars and want to hit things with a lightsaber. I'll have to create another character like a bounty hunter and check that out as well.

I can only compare this to LOTRO - and I think that LOTRO has a better ability for the character to move around and choose different things to do, more side quests that don't always involve killing stuff, etc. SWTOR is a more advanced UI with better battle animation that has the potential for way cooler stuff down the line.