• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cbarrier90

Ruffin McNeill out at ECU

Wow.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ecu-fire-head-football-coach-ruffin-mcneill/15154063/

Okay, ECU folks. What gives? One rebuilding year in which he lost his starting QB and barely missed bowl eligibility and he's out?

He built a great resume at ECU and one of the top G5 programs in the country. Something going on behind the scenes?

2 hours ago, cbarrier90 said:

Wow.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ecu-fire-head-football-coach-ruffin-mcneill/15154063/

Okay, ECU folks. What gives? One rebuilding year in which he lost his starting QB and barely missed bowl eligibility and he's out?

He built a great resume at ECU and one of the top G5 programs in the country. Something going on behind the scenes?

"Not enough Bowl victories". 

Aka bullshit for me.

I love Ruffin: ran a tight ship, established or continued Skip Holtz upward trend, injuries to the team hurt him this past year plus missing offensive pieces and OC that went to OU...........

Wow ECU Sports Director is a dolt.

3 hours ago, ecu88 said:

"Not enough Bowl victories". 

Aka bullshit for me.

I love Ruffin: ran a tight ship, established or continued Skip Holtz upward trend, injuries to the team hurt him this past year plus missing offensive pieces and OC that went to OU...........

Wow ECU Sports Director is a dolt.

Now reports are that the team was informed of the firing via text. Disgraceful. I don't even have a connection to ECU and I'm disappointed this happened the way it did. By all accounts Ruffin is a great person and great ambassador for the school.

When this was announced my initial thought was Compher thinks he can bring back Lincoln Riley before his stock soars too high, but why would he pick up the phone after they just ax'd his friend who gave him his opportunity?

Not a good look right now. Hate it for you guys.

(Stay away from Satterfield! lol)

17 minutes ago, cbarrier90 said:

Now reports are that the team was informed of the firing via text. Disgraceful. I don't even have a connection to ECU and I'm disappointed this happened the way it did. By all accounts Ruffin is a great person and great ambassador for the school.

When this was announced my initial thought was Compher thinks he can bring back Lincoln Riley before his stock soars too high, but why would he pick up the phone after they just ax'd his friend who gave him his opportunity?

Not a good look right now. Hate it for you guys.

(Stay away from Satterfield! lol)

Thanks, yeah I'm protesting against this ill advised move.  Ruffin was more than a coach, he taught them to be men but hey victories over adult development right.  Ask Pete Carroll, wins>scandals

They're getting ready to announce a $40+ million capital campaign and release the artwork for a stadium renovation and slight expansion. The general feeling is that these past couple seasons - and the manner in which games were lost - caused the fanbase to become apathetic. The big donors are tired of not winning important games. That hasn't been a secret for a while now. On top of that, Pirate Club commitments went down, season ticket numbers dropped well under projections, attendance slightly dwindled.

The head football coach is, at the end of the day, a salesman. Houston, Memphis, Cincy, Navy, Temple, USF etc. have all upped their games tremendously, and as such the quality of the conference. Chad Morris is now at SMU, Montgomery from Baylor is now at Tulsa. At one point the AAC had 4 teams in the top 25. The championship game tomorrow is a Top 25 matchup on nationwide ABC. Ruffin's squads are 8-8 in AAC play. This is a good conference, and we have had trouble winning in it - most of our conference games we either led or were within a score for most of the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, the timing was really bad for Ruffin to have a bad season. I hate it. The injury bug bit REALLY bad on a talented squad, but Steve Spurrier once said that in coaching, timing is everything. This just happened to be really bad timing.

Our AD had 2 major goals - improve facilities, and win conference championships. Improving facilities has proven a challenge under Ruff because of the state of mediocrity the fan base has felt they've been in. Ruffin's squads have truly been in contention for a conference title 1 time at the end of a regular season, and they got squashed by Marshall in a "play-in" game to the C-USA title during their "prestigious" 10 win season (everyone wants to bring that up now, forgetting how f'in pissed everyone was).

Beating VT, UNC, NC State's mediocre teams of the past couple years is not good enough for our administration, and it largely hasn't been good enough for the fans either - many are just having trouble admitting it right now because they are now living the tough day of seeing an incredible person get fired. Compher wants trophies, Ruffin was unable to deliver that. There has also been rumblings of grade issues, attendance issues, on the team, and the team being in serious chaos at the end of this season.

There is no better man in sports than Ruffin McNeill - mark that. He is, to the core, one of the greatest people you could ever meet. BUT, any fan that says that they haven't been disappointed each of the past 3 seasons is lying. Because they have. For better or worse, this is just one of those tough business decisions that is backed by numbers. He deserved far better treatment in terms of HOW it happened, though. He's a really, really, great man.

30 minutes ago, PiratePanther189 said:

They're getting ready to announce a $60 million capital campaign and release the artwork for a stadium renovation and slight expansion. The general feeling is that these past couple seasons - and the manner in which games were lost - caused the fanbase to become apathetic. The big donors are tired of not winning important games. That hasn't been a secret for a while now. On top of that, Pirate Club commitments went down, season ticket numbers dropped well under projections, attendance slightly dwindled.

The head football coach is, at the end of the day, a salesman. Houston, Memphis, Cincy, Navy, Temple, USF etc. have all upped their games tremendously, and as such the quality of the conference. Chad Morris is now at SMU, Montgomery from Baylor is now at Tulsa. At one point the AAC had 4 teams in the top 25. The championship game tomorrow is a Top 25 matchup on nationwide ABC. Ruffin's squads are 8-8 in AAC play. This is a good conference, and we have had trouble winning in it - most of our conference games we either led or were within a score for most of the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, the timing was really bad for Ruffin to have a bad season. I hate it. The injury bug bit REALLY bad on a talented squad, but Steve Spurrier once said that in coaching, timing is everything. This just happened to be really bad timing.

Our AD had 2 major goals - improve facilities, and win conference championships. Improving facilities has proven a challenge under Ruff because of the state of mediocrity the fan base has felt they've been in. Ruffin's squads have truly been in contention for a conference title 1 time at the end of a regular season, and they got squashed by Marshall in a "play-in" game to the C-USA title during their "prestigious" 10 win season (everyone wants to bring that up now, forgetting how f'in pissed everyone was).

Beating VT, UNC, NC State's mediocre teams of the past couple years is not good enough for our administration, and it largely hasn't been good enough for the fans either - many are just having trouble admitting it right now because they are now living the tough day of seeing an incredible person get fired. Compher wants trophies, Ruffin was unable to deliver that. There has also been rumblings of grade issues, attendance issues, on the team, and the team being in serious chaos at the end of this season.

There is no better man in sports than Ruffin McNeill - mark that. He is, to the core, one of the greatest people you could ever meet. BUT, any fan that says that they haven't been disappointed each of the past 3 seasons is lying. Because they have. For better or worse, this is just one of those tough business decisions that is backed by numbers. He deserved far better treatment in terms of HOW it happened, though. He's a really, really, great man.

Glad both of you responded to get both sides in here. Seems to be the two types of responses I'm seeing most.

I understand that you don't want the program plateau-ing, but Ruffin was a big part of what got ECU where they are today, and with the losses of Carden, Hardy and then Benkert it seems like he had built up the equity for at least one rebuilding year.

The AD may think he's sitting on the best program in the conference, but in comparison to the other metro markets of the AAC is ECU capable of getting those resources that can bring historical basketball schools Memphis and Houston into the spotlight and possibly into a P5 when the time comes?

Far be it from anyone to say where ECU "belongs," but this just doesn't look like a smart move at all unless it's an absolute slam dunk of a replacement, and it feels like Lincoln Riley already bypassed with a great showcase at OU.

16 minutes ago, cbarrier90 said:

Glad both of you responded to get both sides in here. Seems to be the two types of responses I'm seeing most.

I understand that you don't want the program plateau-ing, but Ruffin was a big part of what got ECU where they are today, and with the losses of Carden, Hardy and then Benkert it seems like he had built up the equity for at least one rebuilding year.

The AD may think he's sitting on the best program in the conference, but in comparison to the other metro markets of the AAC is ECU capable of getting those resources that can bring historical basketball schools Memphis and Houston into the spotlight and possibly into a P5 when the time comes?

Far be it from anyone to say where ECU "belongs," but this just doesn't look like a smart move at all unless it's an absolute slam dunk of a replacement, and it feels like Lincoln Riley already bypassed with a great showcase at OU.

Well, put it this way. ECU's financial means and financial potential are both well within the conference. There are 2 major things happening in the conference:

1. Teams are building brand new stadiums (Houston, Tulane), new football facilities (Memphis, Houston), or substantially renovating (Cincy, Navy). We also have a really big athletic campaign that's going to be announced Q1 2016.

2. Teams are bringing in high-paid coaches or are keeping their coaches by giving them P5-level raises (Chad Morris, Montgomery, Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Mike Norvell)

The fact is, based on the results - and specifically the results - we had no choice but to make some kind of move in order to keep up with the Joneses. This is something that was never planned to happen this fast in the AAC, but the conference is rapidly rising. Now, there are rumors that he refused to make staff changes (wanted to continue to hire from within). That is unconfirmed, but if true is not smart. The Chizik hire is a perfect example of why - I'm not saying we could hire an assistant to the level of Chizik, but we could do much better than promoting our LBs coach to DC which was the rumored situation - we also could do much better than promoting a WR coach to OC and a grad asst. to WR coach (which is what we did last year).

The conference is moving forward at rapid speed, and we more than have the capabilities to do the same, but the mission of Ruff (his famous saying is build "brick by brick" and not "microwave" it) and the AD (win and win now), did not align. I think Compher has absolutely no choice but to hire a slam dunk coach here - and considering this is all but confirmed to be a big donor-motivated decision, the financial backing is certainly going to be there to do something. Ruff got paid 1.5 mil a year before we moved to the AAC and therefore got more money. Before this past season, that was near the top of the AAC. Now, it's near the bottom. We'll see what they come up with.

I love Ruffin, I really do. But this is a business, and ECU is in a transition right now that is very, very critical to the university (new chancellor, $100's of millions in academic and athletic facility plans).  His teams were heavily penalized (top 10 worst 2 years in a row), largely undisciplined, lost too many games in "full retard collapse" mode, and never were in position to win trophies. Coaching is coaching, they know what they're getting in to. He's as good as they come as a man, but the results don't justify spending another year to possibly be in the same boat. Ruffin is a terrific recruiter (which I am worried about), and an incredible representative to the University, but he isn't a good in-game coach. There has never been any doubt of any of that.

13 hours ago, cbarrier90 said:

Wow.

what's hilarious is some of their fans and talking heads think they have a shot at Satt.  Lmaoooooo

5 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

what's hilarious is some of their fans and talking heads think they have a shot at Satt.  Lmaoooooo

They do if they want him. Just seems like the AD is looking for a home run. As much as we appreciate what Scott has done, his resume isn't all that impressive yet especially when you compare it to the guy they just fired.

The further down the conferences the carousel turns the more likely it is that he's leaving sooner rather than later.

9 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

He could potentially get paid more than twice as much at East Carolina, but he's not a realistic target anyway. They don't want him. Good coach and good man, though.

5 hours ago, cbarrier90 said:

They do if they want him. Just seems like the AD is looking for a home run. As much as we appreciate what Scott has done, his resume isn't all that impressive yet especially when you compare it to the guy they just fired.

The further down the conferences the carousel turns the more likely it is that he's leaving sooner rather than later.

he's not leaving App for ECU.  I'm not like a lot of our fanbase that thinks he's gonna stay forever but I really don't see him leaving his alma matter for ECU.  If he has 2 more years like this one he'll get an ACC job and he knows it.

1 hour ago, PiratePanther189 said:

He could potentially get paid more than twice as much at East Carolina, but he's not a realistic target anyway. They don't want him. Good coach and good man, though.

he's better than anyone ECU could realistically hire because Lincoln Riley is gonna laugh them off the phone.  No idea why they like the guy at NIU that guy inherited a gold mine, not impressive at all.

15 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

he's better than anyone ECU could realistically hire because Lincoln Riley is gonna laugh them off the phone.  No idea why they like the guy at NIU that guy inherited a gold mine, not impressive at all.

Ruffin was getting paid $1.5 million on a contract he signed 6 years ago that was set to expire after next season. Anyone that we hire will likely be getting paid over $2 million a year based not only on our increased athletic budget, but also because we have no choice based on the rate that our direct conference competitors are paying their coaches. That money does speak, so I wouldn't make a flat out statement like that.

Lincoln Riley will pick the phone up, this is a business and he knows that based on the past he's going to have to be a head coach somewhere before he makes the jump many are presuming he makes. Bob Diaco won the Broyles Award and ended up at UConn, Tom Herman was at Ohio St for longer than LR has been at OU, and was a P5 coordinator for years, and he ended up at Houston. Chad Morris was the highest paid and hottest name in assistant coaching for years and he's at SMU. Those are all our conference mates. History repeats itself.

The answer is that we don't know. Anything that you read is purely speculation. Our AD is keeping this close to the vest, he is very adamant in saying that he does not let details of coaching hires out under any circumstances. He's made one hire here, our baseball coach, and we had no idea who had even been interviewed, much less the targets. We had no idea who the coach was until pen was to paper. 

I wouldn't get all up in arms about Satterfield. All I said was that he's a good coach, good man, and that I really don't think he's even a target. What we're looking for in this hire does not align with where he is right now. What you're saying about him not leaving holds just as much validity as what I'm saying so it's completely fair to say. No one knows what is going on.

Very connected people are throwing out everything from Matt Canada to Al Golden right now, so that should show you just how little information is being presented. Good luck to App, I really have nothing bad to say about App. I really love App. I don't know what you're so worked up about, Satterfield isn't really being heavily talked about by fans. If anything it's being instigated by Joe Schad and USA Today reporters.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    David Teper

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts