Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cary Kollins

*Premature Report: Chiznik to ECU? Brady Hoke a leading candidate

Expected to be announced this weekend.

Great hire IMO.

Update: Brady Hoke now a leading candidate according to Brett McMurphy of ESPN. Hoke will have 2nd interview on Saturday.

Seems the Chiznik report was premature speculation.

If ECU hires Chizik, know this... he's a VERY good coach, he's 100% class, and will be an excellent representative of the program.

Auburn alum here, and I still respect the hell out of Chizik.  He let the program get away from him down here and that cost him his job (you can't follow up an average year like 2011 with a year where you lose every single SEC game like 2012... the expectations are too high in the SEC).  

But, personally, if ECU hires Chizik, I think they have made a MUCH better hire than South Carolina (who hired Muschamp).

Hasn't taken the job and word is that the interest has fizzled (likely on Chizik's side). He did interview on Monday and word has gotten out more publically about it. Not out of the running obviously, but I just don't see it happening. Quite frankly I don't think it makes sense for Chizik. 

Maybe he is really anxious to be a head coach again but I tihnk he would be better off staying at UNC another year if he does not get a Power 5 offer.  With the amazing job he did last year, if he made more improvements this year I have to imagine he would be in line for a much more sought after job.

Former HC in the SEC that won a national title.  That is much more impressive that what that clown Muschamp did at UF and he got a job after just a year as a coordinator.  Chizik will get another chance at a bigger school, it just may take another year.

3 hours ago, Goondal said:

Maybe he is really anxious to be a head coach again but I tihnk he would be better off staying at UNC another year if he does not get a Power 5 offer.  With the amazing job he did last year, if he made more improvements this year I have to imagine he would be in line for a much more sought after job.

Former HC in the SEC that won a national title.  That is much more impressive that what that clown Muschamp did at UF and he got a job after just a year as a coordinator.  Chizik will get another chance at a bigger school, it just may take another year.

His record is around .500 without Cam Newton. I'm not sure a P5 offer would come unless it is at a P5 school that is a worse job than ECU. ECU is probably a better job than 40-50% of P5 schools. ECU is the kind of school that could be a perennial contender in the AAC and position themselves well for the New Year's Day access bowl for the G5 conferences. A lot of exposure and money comes from playing in that game.

It wouldn't be a bad hire for ECU, but I'm not sure it is a great hire either considering his record without Newton running the offense. If he gets a great OC to join him, then that may not matter so much.

2 hours ago, Niner National said:

His record is around .500 without Cam Newton. I'm not sure a P5 offer would come unless it is at a P5 school that is a worse job than ECU. ECU is probably a better job than 40-50% of P5 schools. ECU is the kind of school that could be a perennial contender in the AAC and position themselves well for the New Year's Day access bowl for the G5 conferences. A lot of exposure and money comes from playing in that game.

It wouldn't be a bad hire for ECU, but I'm not sure it is a great hire either considering his record without Newton running the offense. If he gets a great OC to join him, then that may not matter so much.

His record is actually .500 with and without Cam Newton. Either way it's pretty much confirmed he's no longer in contention for the job.

People are saying we're down to 2 candidates - Brady Hoke and Everett Withers. I think there's probably a few other candidates, but those are the guys that have been narrowed down and confirmed. Shane Beamer was a candidate but he was told today we weren't interested anymore. It's been a weird week.

Never would you have been able to tell me in August that in 1 year ECU would be starting the 2016 season without Ruff and with Brady Hoke or Everett Withers.

Story that has come out is that Chizik's agent made initial contact with the search agency that ECU hired. They were together on Chizik's salary demands, but Chizik wanted ECU to pay the remainder of Chizik's salary that he'd be getting from Auburn (as a DC he could still receive money from Auburn, but a provision in his contract said that he would relinquish that pension if he became a head coach before it expired in 2016).

That's where the line was drawn and both sides decided it probably wasn't going to work out at this time...but there are still folks saying don't count Chizik out. ECU may decide he's the best option and pony up with the offer he wants - but for the record it's a pretty substantial amount.

He's also said to be negotiating with UNC right now on a raise, so looks like his agent used this situation as a bit of positioning as well ;). All in all, like I said before, this just doesn't appear to be the best situation for Chizik

1 hour ago, PiratePanther189 said:

Story that has come out is that Chizik's agent made initial contact with the search agency that ECU hired. They were together on Chizik's salary demands, but Chizik wanted ECU to pay the remainder of Chizik's salary that he'd be getting from Auburn (as a DC he could still receive money from Auburn, but a provision in his contract said that he would relinquish that pension if he became a head coach before it expired in 2016).

That's where the line was drawn and both sides decided it probably wasn't going to work out at this time...but there are still folks saying don't count Chizik out. ECU may decide he's the best option and pony up with the offer he wants - but for the record it's a pretty substantial amount.

He's also said to be negotiating with UNC right now on a raise, so looks like his agent used this situation as a bit of positioning as well ;). All in all, like I said before, this just doesn't appear to be the best situation for Chizik

Where'd you here this at?

8 hours ago, Niner National said:

As I said though, Muschamp got a second shot despite doing worse as a HC and not being as impressive after losing that gig.  If Muschamp can get another shot there is no reason to believe Chizik cannot.

19 hours ago, Goondal said:

As I said though, Muschamp got a second shot despite doing worse as a HC and not being as impressive after losing that gig.  If Muschamp can get another shot there is no reason to believe Chizik cannot.

After his work at UNC this year with the same players they had last year, he deserves it no doubt.