Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlas Shrugged

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Just finished reading it again. Fantastic book.

Posted

Hmmm. Interesting take. I'm definitely of the complete opposite opinion. :P

Posted

Hmmm. Interesting take. I'm definitely of the complete opposite opinion. :P

Don't agree with the premise or don't enjoy the writing style?

Posted

Don't agree with the premise or don't enjoy the writing style?

Well, both. I don't completely disagree with her ideals (what's it called, objectivism or something?), but as usual with political ideologies, she takes it a little too far.

But yeah, the writing style is horrendous. I could handle the wooden prose in The Fountainhead, but Atlas Shrugged was more than wooden, it was titanium-encased reinforced steel. Plus, a general writing rule is that you never put a speech in a novel, and not only does she do so, but said speech is 200 pages long! I literally just skipped that entire section.

Not to mention the thing dragged a little, plotwise.

Not the worst thing I ever read, but it definitely huddles in the lower-middle of my book rankings. And I know plenty of people who love it, too. But, IMO, I think everything that was good about The Fountainhead wasn't present in Atlas Shrugged.

Posted

terrible book written by a horrible writer with a rape fetish

just read the big speech at the end and you'll get the gist of the terrible philosophy

Posted

atlass.gif

Posted

arflowchart2copy.png

Posted

ha ha. when i saw the title I knew fiz would be in here firebombing

Posted

I like how children are treated in the book

Posted

you see architecture is the only art form independent of influence because ...uh...um...i know nothing about art and im counting on my readers not knowing anything about it either

Posted

Well, both. I don't completely disagree with her ideals (what's it called, objectivism or something?), but as usual with political ideologies, she takes it a little too far.

But yeah, the writing style is horrendous. I could handle the wooden prose in The Fountainhead, but Atlas Shrugged was more than wooden, it was titanium-encased reinforced steel. Plus, a general writing rule is that you never put a speech in a novel, and not only does she do so, but said speech is 200 pages long! I literally just skipped that entire section.

Not to mention the thing dragged a little, plotwise.

Not the worst thing I ever read, but it definitely huddles in the lower-middle of my book rankings. And I know plenty of people who love it, too. But, IMO, I think everything that was good about The Fountainhead wasn't present in Atlas Shrugged.

Oh structuraly I will very readily agree that Rand is a terrible writer. No question.

And the book would work much better if she weren't trying to force it as a vehicle for what clearly should have been a philisophical disertation and not a fictional monologue. Also, the heavy emphasis on sex detracts from major points of the storyline.

However, I'm in love with the idea of a top down destruction of society and I suppose for me that is enough to save the book.

But what do I know....I write books about people being mutilated. I doubt I'm any better.