Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARSEN

College = ponzi scheme

61 posts in this topic

Try Bermuda or Cayman. They are doing US work offshore and struggle to hire people from the US because accountants are so in demand. I think they would jump on a decent US resume.

Yea, I will have to do it if I cannot find anything here.

I'm not going for my masters, its worthless if I get my CPA. Also, I cannot start my CPA until I get a job in accounting because I need a year of experience before I can receive my license.

I was at the same point as you getting turned down by every firm in the southeast after my undergrad with 150. I went back and got my masters and passed all 4 parts and had a job with no problem. So I know from experience what helps.

It's only a scheme if you're an idiot and pick a BS major. If you actually pick a major that teaches you practical skills like Computer Science, Engineering, or say Accounting, then you'll have more than just a piece of paper when you're done. That being said, if you think a 4 year degree equals a job, where have you been for the last 10 years cause those days are long gone.

College is an indicator to the market

On one level it says that you have the basic skills to go out in the world...i.e. you are upwardly mobile, can get out of bed in the morning, meet deadlines etc.

The better the college the more initiative you show. Why do you pick the guy from Princeton over the guy from idaho vocational institute? Because he WANTED to go to princeton and made it happen.

Bout a Bachelor's degree doesn't get you much beyond that. Its the bare minimum. Further education, networking and resume development are what gets you into a successful field.

As to the original post, yeah there are tons of jobs for which 4 years of passing out in the fraternity on Thursday through sunday nights is going to make you any better. And it is a shame that the free market has determined that the best qualifiers cost 45k a year. I loved Davidson but spending $120k over 4 years got me a job delivering pizzas in southpark. It took 2 more years of accreditation to find a job and 5 more years of grueling exams after that to rise to the level I want.

Having said that, my kids will be going to a good school if I have anything to do with it

Bingo. The best way I hever heard college described is that a college education indicates that you can survive college; i.e. you can work hard for four years, have drive and study skills. What's written on your degree is less important than the fact that you have it.

As far as what school you go to, in my opinion, that matters a lot less than your previous job experience. The two guys I know who went to Princeton, one got in on a Soccer scholarship, and the other cheated off me in molecular biology. I went to Maryland and I got no regrets. It's a great school and because I was in state, my education only cost $32k.

Meanwhile, I got a great job right out of school. I got it by connections (connections I earned by working part-time since I was 14 to pay for college). Connections got me the interview, but my degree qualified me for the job. So really I guess you need a healthy combination of education and work experience, you can't put all your eggs in one basket.

It's only a scheme if you're an idiot and pick a BS major. If you actually pick a major that teaches you practical skills like Computer Science, Engineering, or say Accounting, then you'll have more than just a piece of paper when you're done. That being said, if you think a 4 year degree equals a job, where have you been for the last 10 years cause those days are long gone.

I was very happy with a liberal arts school mainly because I had no clue what I wanted to do (even after I grduated). I don't think I would have liked to have been locked into an accounting job.

BS is also fine if you want to go to business/law/med school.

From what I understand from my accounting friends, its hard for even seasoned accountants to find a job right now.

Figure out what you love to do.

Figure out how to make money with it.

Be happy.

Figure out what you love to do.

Figure out how to make money with it.

Be happy.

I know what I love to do but the only way to make money at it is from those old pervs at the Greyhound station.

Sounds like another bitter business school graduate. The line forms over there...>>

Surprise! A degree is not a job coupon!

Did somebody say business school?

limit.JPG