Goondal

How about those RED SOX! Part Deux

9 hours ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

I think E-Rod is most likely to be traded because we already have two Lefties starting

I really hope you are wrong here.  I feel that E-Rod is the most talented of the possible #4 starters and it really is not that close to me.

In regards to Clay, we will probably have to eat salary, maybe most of it.  The goal should be a good prospect.  I am fine keeping him if we do not get what we want and with his recent struggles, that is likely where we will be.

I do not really want him in the rotation though.  Prefer him in the long relief/sixth start role.

In regards to what we could get, do not be surprised if someone overplays, most likely an NL team, especially if we eat most of the money.  The SP market is so barran and quality SP is the most valuable commodity in the sports universe.  Teams are so desperate for it that they will literally crawl through the desert towards a mirage and then drink the sand.  Not saying it will happen but it would not surprised me at all if  Buchholz is the sand for one organization.

Just now, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

WELP

Buchholz to the Phils for a prospect ... he might dominate in the NL

I am thrilled with this trade, they took the whole damn contract!  We are under the tax now!  Weird that the Phillies would make such a trade, not like they are expected to compete or anything. 

Just dumping the whole contract makes the level of the prospect meaningless, I could be the prospect and it would be good.  I am not sure how good he is but I have at least heard of him. 

1 hour ago, Goondal said:

I am thrilled with this trade, they took the whole damn contract!  We are under the tax now!  Weird that the Phillies would make such a trade, not like they are expected to compete or anything. 

Just dumping the whole contract makes the level of the prospect meaningless, I could be the prospect and it would be good.  I am not sure how good he is but I have at least heard of him. 

All I wanted. Don't even care about the prospect.

• Pie 1

Now that that is over, time for the three way battle for the final two spots.   With all the talk of our big three, I think the 4-5 could be one of the best back end of the rotations in baseball.   

Rooting for Eduardo and Wright myself as I think Pom Pom would be the best of the three in the pen.  Only downside is we have up so much for him, seems big for middle relief. 

Still, a bullpen involving Kimbrel, Thornburg, Kelly, Barnes, and whoever the sixth starter is looks good. 

Abad (as much as he annoyed me) and Hembree, if used as a LOOGY & ROOGY tandem will fill it out nicely.   

Then we have Carson Smith returning around Memorial Day.   

Both the rotation and bullpen should be substantially better this season.  Now to replace Papi's production 

Can't see the Sox making a play for Encarnacion especially with us now just getting under the luxury tax. Thinking we are going into the season with Hanley/Panda split at DH.

Yeah, I think Hanley is the plan at DH, with Panda at third.  When Moreland has of days Hanley will play in the field and Pablo may yield third to Holt to DH or Young will DH. 

The most interesting thing will be what they do at C should Swihart be healthy.  Maybe try him at first to get him more AB?  They like his bat enough to have him wandering around the OF last year. 

Catcher is going to be interesting. Vazquez is certainly the superior fielder to Swihart and Sandy. If Sandy isn't hitting I think Vazquez gets the starting job and Swihart gets the short end of the stick as he still has minor league options.

You are probably right, although I prefer Swihart with Vazquez as defensive replacement.  I feel Leon had a flukey two months and wish he waited to crash until next season so we could have sold high. 

I read something that said Dombrowski refused to even talk Swihart at the winter meetings despite over a dozen inquiries.  That says something, not sure what. 

I am rooting for him, but agree that his options likely put him down to start. 

I am not always up to date on other teams but it seems our abundance of catchers is rare.  Hell, we had Hannigan who was good defensively too. 

Eduardo tweaked his right knee while slipping on a wet mound in Venezuelan winter ball.  They are acting like it is not big deal, but we have been there before with him and that knee.

I would be lying if I said I was no concerned about him pitching in the WBC in a few months.

Well, it appears Dombrowski already wants Pomeranz and Wright to round out the rotation.  I am not thrilled by this news.  Rodriguez-Wright is the best duo.  Rodriguez has the most upside of the three while Pomeranz has bullpen experience.  Wright makes sense as the #5 if for not other reason than we would have four lefties otherwise.  I also prefer ot not have a knuckleball pitcher coming out of the pen.

Regardless of which was they go though, to me it is stupid to announce this now.  Why not see who the best is when we hit camp?

I hope it is not the case, but I am worried that Dombrowski is determined to have Pomeranz in the rotation due to what he gave up to acquire him.  He has certainly had a short leash on other players (which I like) but those were not guys that he acquired at such a high price.

In other Eduardo news, it seems he still wants to pitch in the WBC despite his injury.  I suppose that this is good from the standpoint that he feels he will be ready by then, but I still would prefer he not go.