Goondal

How about those RED SOX! Part Deux

56 posts in this topic

So, we signed Carlos Quinten this week.  Last appeared in the majors in 2014 and was most recently seen in the Mexican League.  He is a former All-Star that once hit 36 HR but also has struggled with his knees and is thirty-four.  I can think of another former AS with bad knees that ended up in the Mexican League before getting another shot and having a resurgence.  Oh wait, that was Major League.  We have very little depth in  the OF at AAA so I suspect that is all this will be.

Abad decided to take us to arbitration recently, first player to do so since '02 I believe.  As is typical for him, he lost.

Sandoval is much thinner and showed up for camp over a week early so maybe he will be an asset finally.  I am not holding my breath but if he can just be average I will be happy, despite the contract.

Pitchers and Catchers this week!!!

It appears that last year's ill-advised move to LF and the resulting injury has turned Blake Swihart into Rube Baker.  He now struggles when attempting to throw the ball back to the pitcher.

He was already likely to begin in AAA anyway since we have three C and he is the only one with options, but it is still disappointing as I believe he has the most potential.  Dombrowski seems to as well.  At the winter meetings he refused to even discuss Swihart with other teams that saw our surplus at the position as an opportunity.

I suspect that this is easily fixable.  More concerning is that the move to LF cost him almost a whole season of development behind the plate.  Hopefully we do not screw him up the way we screwed up Daniel Bard.

Poor Sale. Kimbrel has been unhittable lately but Farrell really should have kept Sale in at only 102 pitches.

He has four runs of support in four starts.  All that being said, holy crap to I love this guy.  I think he is going to thrive in Boston.  He seems like the anti-Price.

Manny Machado needs to be taken out on slides any chance we get from now until the end of the season.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Topics

• I am as big of a Cam fan as there is, but no he's not perfect. BUT, I will say, in his defense, a good deal of his shortcomings are due in part to offensive scheme and design.  You brought up Brady, whose offense is designed around getting the ball out quick and with timing and letting the receivers make plays.  The biggest complaint on this board since Chud left has been the lack of quick hitting, easy completions created by short, quick routes.  And while I see a lot of articles now about how Cam lacks accuracy on short and intermediate routes, and has ranked as the league worst, at least in 2016, he didn't struggle with such issues under Chud.  Our screens were a lot crisper for one and the routes were more varied and creative.  Furthermore, the last two or three seasons' decline in short and intermediate accuracy coincides with having a receiving corps among the leagues worst in getting separation.  Now, we draft two guys that are quick, fast and can get open in a hurry and overhauled the receiving corps with Shepard and Johnson as well.  I think people are going to see the accuracy problem was more due to scheme and personnel than it was Cam.  If healthy, he's going to have a ridiculous year.