Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane Hugo ~ 20 Years later

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

http://www.postandco...embering-hugo2/

Where were you 20 years ago? Did this affect you? It was a big deal here in the Lowcountry.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

I had just moved from Charleston the year before and was safely ensconsed in New England.

Went down that Christmas to Savannah to see the in laws, and took a trip to Charleston right after the big snow storm - man it looked bad there.

#3 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

We were helping my aunt and uncle evacuate their place on James Island and spent my dad's bday grilling out hamburgers on the kitchen gas range.

#4 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

I was living over near Independence High School and remember watching trees snap in the backyard (in hindsight wasn't very smart). A tornado took out a house 3 doors down from us, spent the next week chopping wood and cleaning up the neighborhood.

#5 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

I am an expert hurricane dodger....hugo - i was in Raleigh...Fran and Floyd - I was in Greensboro.

#6 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

We moved to Charlotte 36 hours after Hugo passed through. That was fun.

#7 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

In Wilmington getting the outer bands. A couple of 80 mph gusts downed trees throughout the city but not much else.

#8 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

I about cut my brother in half with a chainsaw. It was awesome!

#9 BMorgan

BMorgan

The Mad Mead Maker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

I was a freshman at the College of Charleston.

My parents came and picked up me, a suite mate, and a friend who lived off campus who had nowhere else to go, about 10 or 11 pm on the 20th. We got to Gastonia about 3 or 4 am on the 21st. My suite mate caught his flight that was to connect in CLT to VA. My friend caught the bus home to Indy (she was supposed to go to her relatives house in TN, but changed her mind and went home).

I stayed up watching the TV coverage in Charleston until we lost power I think about 2 am or so when the tornadoes came through. We had no power for a week, lost a lot of game and other food we had in the freezer because we couldn't cook it all. A neighbor got an adapter to hook our community well system up to a city fire hydrant so we could have water.

We didn't have any major damage because we didn't have any large trees, just lost a few shingles. We were lucky.

We were out of school about 3 weeks. It was strange going back to Charleston, but they had a lot of it cleaned up by the time we got back.

#10 Towelboy

Towelboy

day late & a dollar short

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

charlotte...i was 6. i remember all the neighbors grilling out since there was no power and everyone's frozen meat needed to be eaten before it spoiled.

we were without power for 13 days. a tree fell on our house, but did minimal damage.

#11 mush

mush

Tailgate Czar

• Moderators
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

Was watching TV at my apartment at UNCC until the power went out, then I went to bed and slept through it all. Next morning there was no power in Charlotte and trees everywhere. A good bit of price gouging ensued. No generators to be found, but with no power no gas pumps would run.

My father ran a bread truck and ironically a little bakery in Shelby was the only bread company around with power to run the lines. Some grocery stores opened even though they had no power, and would take a bunch of flash lights and let people go in with flashlights to shop. When one person came out of the store, they would let another one go in. That was back before the bar code days, when there were price stickers on everything so they took battery operated calculators to add up people's bill.

My father worked all weekend delivering bread because we had the only bakery running. 4 truck loads of it and even had other bread companies buying from us because they had nothing.

#12 janosha

janosha

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

I remember the loose powerlines.... NO NES for three whole days. I was pissed.

#13 Towelboy

Towelboy

day late & a dollar short

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

the day we got a generator, the power came back on.

#14 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

I was 1 year old. I remember it vividly...

#15 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

just like those funny stories about landing on the moon...I think it's all a conspiracy

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com