• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RealBitsOfPanther

2016/17 Carolina Hurricanes

The Canes have hired goalie coach Mike Bales away from the Pittsburgh Penguins after firing Dave Marcoux earlier in the offseason.

Bales was on staff for the Pens back to back Stanley Cups and is credited with Matt Murray's development and the rejuvenation of Marc Andre-Fleury's career.

For a statistical perspective: 

Pre Bales

MAF - Playoffs (9/-10 to 12-13)

31 GP, .880 sv. %, 3.18 gaa

Post Bales

MAF - Playoffs (13-14 to 16-17)

35 GP, .920 sv. %, 2.45 gaa 

3 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The Canes have hired goalie coach Mike Bales away from the Pittsburgh Penguins after firing Dave Marcoux earlier in the offseason.

Bales was on staff for the Pens back to back Stanley Cups and is credited with Matt Murray's development and the rejuvenation of Marc Andre-Fleury's career.

For a statistical perspective: 

Pre Bales

MAF - Playoffs (9/-10 to 12-13)

31 GP, .880 sv. %, 3.18 gaa

Post Bales

MAF - Playoffs (13-14 to 16-17)

35 GP, .920 sv. %, 2.45 gaa 

Was on my way to post this. Great pick up. We need all the help we can get when it comes to goal-tending. Too many hot streaks that come at random times before tapering back into mediocrity.

25 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Was on my way to post this. Great pick up. We need all the help we can get when it comes to goal-tending. Too many hot streaks that come at random times before tapering back into mediocrity.

Absolutely.

If we would have had consistentl goaltending I feel like we could have slid into that final playoff spot this past year.

I'm excited to see how Darling does. I hope his career mirrors Cam Talbot's and not Eddie Lacks's regarding the whole backup to starter process. 

The Canes have released their protection list for the NHL's expansion draft.

There are no real surprises on the list as the Canes were one of the least effected teams by the expansion list. The only choice Carolina had to make was Stempniak or PDG, the Canes chose to stick with PDG.

Protected: Jeff Skinner, Jordan Staal, Elias Lindholm, Victor Rask, Teuvo Teravainen, Brock McGinn, Phil Di 

5 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

There are no real surprises on the list as the Canes were one of the least effected teams by the expansion list. The only choice Carolina had to make was Stempniak or PDG, the Canes chose to stick with PDG.

Protected: Jeff Skinner, Jordan Staal, Elias Lindholm, Victor Rask, Teuvo Teravainen, Brock McGinn, Phil Di 

I accidentally submitted the post with out completing my thought so I figured I'd try it again.

There are no real surprises on the list as the Canes were one of the least effected teams by the expansion list. The only choice Carolina had to make was Stempniak or PDG, the Canes chose to stick with PDG. A large portion of players such as Sebastian Aho, Jaccob Slavin, and Brett Pesce are exempt.

Protected: /Forward/ Jeff Skinner, Jordan Staal, Elias Lindholm, Victor Rask, Teuvo Teravainen, Brock McGinn, Phil Di Giuseppe, /Defense/ Justin Faulk, Ryan Murphy, Trevor Carrick (AHL), and /Goalie/ Scott Darling

Unprotected: /Forward/ Lee Stempniak, Joakim Nordstrom, Jay McClement, Bryan Bickell, Andrew Miller (AHL), Andrej Nestrasil (AHL), Patrick Brown (AHL), Connor Brickley (AHL), Danny Kristo (AHL), Brendan Woods (AHL), Erik Karlsson (AHL), /Defense/ Klas Dahlbeck, Matt Tennyson, Dennis Robertson (AHL), Philip Samuelsson (AHL), /Goalie/ Cam Ward, Eddie Lack, Michael Leighton (AHL), and Daniel Altshuller (AHL).

With the Canes set to lose one player you have to think it will be Stempniak, Nordstrom, or Ward.

My money is on Stemp or Nordy. Ward isn't going because Fleury is unprotected. No way they take what amounts to the same goalie twice.

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

In former Canes news, Eric Staal was left unprotected by the Minnesota Wild.

Not surprising. Aging vet, tons of young talent in that organization. Staal to Vegas wouldn't be bad for Staal or Vegas.

Just a rumor and probably nothing but that.

Nonetheless, I read on HFBoarfs (one of the main sites I use for Canes info) that GMRF may have a deal with Vegas to select Eddie Lack.

Take it worth a grain of salt cause Vegas has been linked to every goalie under the sun, but it is possible with the amount of picks the Canes have in the upcoming draft. Lack and a 2nd could be on the way to Vegas.

The jersey release is at 10PM tonight, if I'm not mistaken they are only releasing the home jersey tonight and will release the away jersey at the Canes draft party this Friday.

It's going to be a busy day in the NHL.

LVG will release their roster. It's been mentioned that Vegas could have deals in place with over half the teams in the league, so their roster today is not their final roster.