Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RealBitsOfPanther

2016/17 Carolina Hurricanes

Pretty special moment there for Bicks!

Final game of his NHL Career and he snaps home a wicked shootout goal then gets mobbed by the team.

He always seemed like a classy guy, I'm sure he'll go on to do great things in his fight against MS.

#BickellBrave

On 1/24/2017 at 7:22 PM, iamcline said:

Top 10 goalie? No freakin' way. His save percentage is 34th in the league. That is terrible for someone who sees the type of shots he sees thanks to this defense.  27th in GAA, again...bad. Second in goals against only to Cam Talbot (by one).

Now you can make the argument that due to the number of starts his stats are skewed but save percentage doesn't lie. Now no one expected Cam to be a winning goalie (and I still don't think he is) but he can't be depended on like someone would hope. Time to move on from him. Even if that means keeping Eddie Lack around.

As for Alex, he's still two or three years away. His quickness is undeniable but he lets in the same soft goals that Cam does.

Should've moved on from him years ago. Top 10? lmao. Yeah save percentage doesn't lie. Glad we have Darling now and hopefully sometime soon we can send Cam packing. Watching Lavy take his 3rd team to the Final right now is bittersweet. I've been pulling for the Preds, but also thinking about how our team has been a joke for the past decade since our Cup win when Lavy was here.

57 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Should've moved on from him years ago. Top 10? lmao. Yeah save percentage doesn't lie. Glad we have Darling now and hopefully sometime soon we can send Cam packing. Watching Lavy take his 3rd team to the Final right now is bittersweet. I've been pulling for the Preds, but also thinking about how our team has been a joke for the past decade since our Cup win when Lavy was here.

The issue Lavs ran into was Rutherford. Rutherford doesn't know how to build an organization or develop the prospects. Thus far it looks like GMRF has a clear vision and plan on how to do that. The Predators were just a player or two away from being a serious contender so they get Subban (who IMO is more dynamic than Weber but not as dependable, big gamble but y'know...).

The teams Lavs had after the Cup win were Top heavy but nothing after the first layer and there was no money or youth to put into what we really needed.

I'm happy for the Perds though, I'm hoping to make a trip out next weekend to take in the atmosphere.

Have finally started getting into hockey, really enjoyed watching the Leafs-Capitals series. 

Anyone want to give me a quick low down on young up and comers the canes have?

Teravainen gets an extension, 2 years, $2.86M, great bridge deal.

Canes, have about $48M committed to 17 players.

Lines

Aho - Staal - Lindholm

???- Rask - Teravainen

Skinner - ??? - Stempniak

Nordström - ??? - ???

Slavin - Pesce

Hanifin - Faulk

??? - ???

Dahlbeck - Murphy

Darling

Ward

Lack

RFA's: McGinn, PDG

UFA's: Ryan, Bickell, McClement

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. After seeing the Serg pulled Drouin it appears that d prospects hold a little more weight than perceived. Maybe the Canes can revisit a potential Duchene trade with Fleury and a 1st being the nucleus with a small add like Stempniak (assuming he's not selected by Vegas) or something.

On 5/25/2017 at 8:17 PM, SOJA said:

Have finally started getting into hockey, really enjoyed watching the Leafs-Capitals series. 

Anyone want to give me a quick low down on young up and comers the canes have?

Welcome aboard man! NHL seasons are crazy fun. I know @lightsout and myself loved doing the blog and hopefully will do it again next year the views are there. As far as canes prospects/young talent go, it starts with Jeff Skinner, Sebastian Aho and Noah Hanifin. 

Skinner went off the last quarter of the season and ended up with 36 goals and 26 assists. Prob the purest goal scorer the Canes have and is still a young guy (only 25) 

Aho just finished his rookie season with 24 goals and 25 assists and at 19 years old. Just a smart player. He will be good for years to come. 

Skinns and Aho stand out but there is a bunch of young guys already on the team, or in the system. Rask is a solid two way center that can net 20 and can lead in +/-. Teuvo as well. Lindholm has shown flashes of brilliance (his passing game improved greatly this season). There is also some guys in the pipeline like Gauthier, Kuokkanen Fillpe that we can get excited about, although they are years away. 

Hanifin is going to be solid. It takes a little longer for two way defensemen to adapt. He's only 20 years old as well. Really strong breakout pass 

The rest of the defense is crazy young and has tremendous upside as well. Slavin and Pesce especially. Look for Haydn Fleury to push for a roster spot this year. Jake Bean will be a name to remember as well. 

@lightsout did I forget anyone? 

1 hour ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

Welcome aboard man! NHL seasons are crazy fun. I know @lightsout and myself loved doing the blog and hopefully will do it again next year the views are there. As far as canes prospects/young talent go, it starts with Jeff Skinner, Sebastian Aho and Noah Hanifin. 

Skinner went off the last quarter of the season and ended up with 36 goals and 26 assists. Prob the purest goal scorer the Canes have and is still a young guy (only 25) 

Aho just finished his rookie season with 24 goals and 25 assists and at 19 years old. Just a smart player. He will be good for years to come. 

Skinns and Aho stand out but there is a bunch of young guys already on the team, or in the system. Rask is a solid two way center that can net 20 and can lead in +/-. Teuvo as well. Lindholm has shown flashes of brilliance (his passing game improved greatly this season). There is also some guys in the pipeline like Gauthier, Kuokkanen Fillpe that we can get excited about, although they are years away. 

Hanifin is going to be solid. It takes a little longer for two way defensemen to adapt. He's only 20 years old as well. Really strong breakout pass 

The rest of the defense is crazy young and has tremendous upside as well. Slavin and Pesce especially. Look for Haydn Fleury to push for a roster spot this year. Jake Bean will be a name to remember as well. 

You missed the future between the pipes. The man, the myth, the guy who needs to just be left on the main roster but won't be until Cam Ward retires. Alex Nedeljkovic. Seriously though, kid is gonna be special.

Also forgot Valentin Zykov. Big bodied Russian who got a couple weeks worth of games towards season's end and absolutely crushed it.

And as stated, a ton of young talent that will be up this year or the next. It's crazy that our best players are between 18 and 23. We'll be competitive, but we need consistent goaltending for at least 60 games to make the playoffs.

As far as prospects go, Fleury seems to be ready to make the jump next year.

Wallmark, Zykov, Saarela, Roy, and Gauthier also have a chance. Especially Wallmark who can slot in as the 4C next year assuming McClemment is not brought back.

I also expect Brock to be a full-timer next year and PDG to spend the majority of the year with the Canes assuming he is extended as well.

Personally, I'm really excited about Saarela, he finally came over from Finland and it seems that the smaller rink actually suits his style more. He only played 9 game with the Checkers last year but he recorded 6 goals, 4 assists, 10 points, and was. +2; he's definitely one to watch.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:17 AM, RealBitsOfPanther said:

wow thank you so much for the write up! eager to get on the bandwagon next season 

The Canes have hired goalie coach Mike Bales away from the Pittsburgh Penguins after firing Dave Marcoux earlier in the offseason.

Bales was on staff for the Pens back to back Stanley Cups and is credited with Matt Murray's development and the rejuvenation of Marc Andre-Fleury's career.

For a statistical perspective: 

Pre Bales

MAF - Playoffs (9/-10 to 12-13)

31 GP, .880 sv. %, 3.18 gaa

Post Bales

MAF - Playoffs (13-14 to 16-17)

35 GP, .920 sv. %, 2.45 gaa 

3 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The Canes have hired goalie coach Mike Bales away from the Pittsburgh Penguins after firing Dave Marcoux earlier in the offseason.

Bales was on staff for the Pens back to back Stanley Cups and is credited with Matt Murray's development and the rejuvenation of Marc Andre-Fleury's career.

For a statistical perspective: 

Pre Bales

MAF - Playoffs (9/-10 to 12-13)

31 GP, .880 sv. %, 3.18 gaa

Post Bales

MAF - Playoffs (13-14 to 16-17)

35 GP, .920 sv. %, 2.45 gaa 

Was on my way to post this. Great pick up. We need all the help we can get when it comes to goal-tending. Too many hot streaks that come at random times before tapering back into mediocrity.

25 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Was on my way to post this. Great pick up. We need all the help we can get when it comes to goal-tending. Too many hot streaks that come at random times before tapering back into mediocrity.

Absolutely.

If we would have had consistentl goaltending I feel like we could have slid into that final playoff spot this past year.

I'm excited to see how Darling does. I hope his career mirrors Cam Talbot's and not Eddie Lacks's regarding the whole backup to starter process.