• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

September 26, 2009
12:00 pm
Bobby Dodd Stadium
Atlanta, GA

#22 ranked North Carolina will be coming into Atlanta looking to snap it's 5 game losing streak to the Yellow Jackets in Bobby Dodd Stadium on Saturday. The Heels are coming inot the game as one of the nation's leading rushing defensive teams ranked 7th to be exact, and a complete understanding on how to stop Georgia Tech's prized Triple Option offense with their 28-7 shutdown of the Yellow Jackets last season in Chapel Hill.

North Carolina is 3-0 on the season for the first time since the 1997 season, and are facing the challenge of 4-0 being a 3 point underdog to Georgia Tech on Saturday afternoon. The Tar Heels have completed dominated opponents on defense and have held all 3 teams to under 20 points and less than 2.0 yards per carry in regards to rushing.

Georgia Tech is coming into this game ranked inside the top 20 in rushing yards in the nation, with 247.7 yards per game.

"It certainly is one of the things you talk to your football team about - option responsibility," Carolina's coach Butch Davis said. "You're going to see it over the course of the season so you have to spend some time on it. We are fortunate that we've got some experience on defense that hopefully they'll remember some of the lessons they learned last year."

Jonathon Dwyer might not be at 100%, and has not looked like the same tailback as last year yet during the 2009 season. He injured his shoulder in last week's meeting they had with Miami which they lost 33-17. He did say that he was able to do pretty much everything in practice throughout the week.

North Carolina's offense took a step in the right direction last week with their offense, tallying up 400+ yards in their victory over ECU, thanks to bug plays by Freshamn tightend Erik Highsmith. Highsmith became the first Freshman since Hakeem Nicks to hit the 100 yard receiving in a single game mark.

"We know they can move the ball," Tar Heels defensive tackle Marvin Austin said. "They just had to get in a rhythm and go out and execute. I'm glad they've got that thing rolling now. It's going to help us on defense. We can pin our ears back and go get 'em now."

The Yellow Jackets have dominated the series as of late against North Carolina winning 9 out of the last 11 games they have faced, bringing the all time series up to 23-18 in favor of Georgia Tech.

The Tar Heels have not won at Bobby Dodd Stadium since 1997.

Key Players

UNC

Erik Highsmith: Can he keep the early success going this week?

TJ Yates: Can he keep the offense on the field by completing 3rd downs on more of a consistent basis?

Carolina's front 7: Can they stop the Triple Option and get to the QB on passing downs?

GT

Jonathon Dwyer: Will he finally have a breakout game to get him back on track to last year's success?

Josh Nesbitt: Can he finally get the passing game going if the running game is held down?

Crowd: How much effect will they have against North Carolina?

Matchup

UNC

Net Passing Yds: 632
Passing Yds/Game: 210.7
Completions Pct.: 66.3

Rushing Yds: 444
Rushing Yds/Game: 148.0
Rushing Avg: 3.7

GT

Net Passing Yds: 412
Passing Yds/Game: 137.3
Completions Pct: 40.5

Rushing Yds: 731
Rushing Yds/Game: 243.7
Rushing Avg: 5.3

Edited by Tweeder, 26 September 2009 - 07:18 AM.

#2 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

Gonna be a tough game. Trying not to be too optimistic.

#3 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

I feel a lot better about this game, knowing that just about every Tar Heel defensive starter has faced that offense before. I'm not taking anything for granted though. I didn't believe that Uconn and ECU were gonna be easy, and I definitely feel the same way about GT. I don't think they deserved to fall as far as they did after getting beaten by a Miami team that had 10 days to prepare. This time GT has had the extra preparation time, and that worries me a little.

#4 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

Let's go HEELS!!!

I am feeling pretty good about this one, we shut Dwyer down last year and we will do it again this year.

UNC 13-7

#5 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

Let's go HEELS!!!

I am feeling pretty good about this one, we shut Dwyer down last year and we will do it again this year.

UNC 13-7

If you guys hold GaTech to 7 points AT HOME then that will be impressive. Tech is going to score at least 20 IMO. They played terribly against a team that is just as talented on defense (Miami) and scored 17 points as an away team.

If you guys were playing at home I'd pick you guys but its a road game so I'm going with the home team.

#6 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

I will probably never be completely confident about any game this season just because of how thin UNC's O-line is this year, but if they can get a win this week, they might just be able to get a couple of those baby O-linemen some playing time in the next two games against Virginia and Ga. Southern. That would help a lot going forward.

I am very confident in Carolina's defense though. Remember, Miami's new DC (Lovett) was a Tar Heel last year, so he learned to defend that triple option under Butch Davis.

#7 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:27 AM

Fug Espn360.

#8 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

GT wins this one easily, they look way too hungry.

#9 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

From what I have seen, thanks 360, we are going to get blown out.

I don't get why Boyd didn't catch that ball.

#10 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

this offense is a f'n joke, GT has one of the worst defenses in the ACC and carolina is making them look like a bunch of All Americans

#11 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,958 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Both teams have missed opportunities, but GT has had more of them. We can still come back in the second half.

#12 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

Casey Barth is really starting to piss me off. That's the 3rd easy FG he's missed already.

BTW, I think they have a trained monkey operating the clock. That problem started well before that last GT posession...I noticed on one of Draughn's runs, he went out of bounds and the clock never stopped then either. The officials should have caught it then.

#13 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

if Carolina somehow comes back and wins this thing, that poor clock operator will be taken out and beaten to death in the middle of the field

#14 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

defense is going to be DONE in the 4th quarter

#15 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:08 PM

Good grief! This is the worst display of FG kicking I've ever seen.

Unbelievably, UNC is still in this game, but they will have to score TD's to win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.