Sign in to follow this  
OldNorthPowell

Possible MLS Team In Carolina

It would be idiotic for Tampa to get a team.  Not only is it not a good soccer area but they just got a team in Orlando and are putting one in Miami.

3 hours ago, djp14 said:

The Charlotte market fits the template of what the MLS wants - Downtown stadium in young, urban environment. But without the govt. handout, there's no way it happens.

NCFC has their act together financially and otherwise, but how excited would MLS be about having a team in the Raleigh suburbs? Not very, I suppose.

Looks about right, although I'd probably put Charlotte 12th.

They still haven't released the location for the proposed stadium. Malik says they have a plan where it could be placed downtown. I'd like to know where though. Anyone that has been to Raleigh knows there is no room because that city stays under construction.

1 hour ago, Goondal said:

It would be idiotic for Tampa to get a team.  Not only is it not a good soccer area but they just got a team in Orlando and are putting one in Miami.

Tampa is only ahead of some options right now because they plan on leasing a stadium. So if some of these cities don't receive funding for stadiums they'll get a spot by default. 

Cities like Nashville and San Antiono would be higher if they had concrete plans. For instance, Nashville's funding and stadium proposals are all sorts of messed up but the MLS seems to like the city. San Antonio just needs to expand their current stadium but they may not receiving funding. Raleigh can be thrown in this category as well but they are going to have to impress the MLS with their stadium proposal.

• Pie 1

After the BS San Antonio pulled on the league back in the day (the Hardberger debacle), I wouldn't be surprised if the league is extra cautious in dealing with them.

Also, never been impressed with anything they've laid down since. It all screams "second division forever" to me, from Hartman onward.

image.thumb.jpeg.9ae5c23edbcd16f5954b677b464ac876.jpeg

North Carolina FC has announced their plans for a stadium located in downtown Raleigh.

NCFC's location site currently houses government buildings and the team is asking for the city to partner with them in exchange for the use of an entertainment, sports and athletics venue that would be home to a NCFC as well as conference space, office hospitality and retail space, housing and public parking.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

Memorial Stadium site is dead, at least as far as MLS goes.

In case anybody was wondering.

1 hour ago, djp14 said:

The new city mayor is anti sports....  I mean, her husband walks around uptown wearing cylinder hat.  What do you expect?

Edited by ARSEN

On 8/17/2017 at 7:09 PM, ARSEN said:

The new city mayor is anti sports....  I mean, her husband walks around uptown wearing cylinder hat.  What do you expect?

The mayor is a joke and embarrassment.  Despicable.

• Pie 1

On 8/17/2017 at 5:15 PM, djp14 said:

Great, so Boston can tear down the Garden and Miami the Orange Bowl, but Charlotte can't tear down that piece of $hit that's hemorrhaging money for something worthwhile.  Awful.